Nurse Kills Intruder with Bare Hands

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by spclk, Sep 8, 2006.

1. spclk

spclk New Member

I love this story!

PORTLAND, Oregon (AP) -- A nurse returning from work discovered an intruder armed with a hammer in her home and strangled him with her bare hands, police said.
    Haffey, about 5-foot-9 and 180 pounds, had convictions including conspiracy to commit aggravated murder, robbery, drug charges and possession of burglary tools. Neighbors said Kuhnhausen's size -- 5-foot-7 and 260 pounds -- may have given her an advantage.

"Everyone that I've talked to says 'Hurray for Susan,' said neighbor Annie Warnock, who called 911.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/08/nurse.intruder.ap/index.html

If this kind of thing happened more often maybe these thugs would think twice!

2. Loading...

3. michelle

michelle Joy comes in the Morning

Wow, all I can say is "You go Girl".

4. Details

Details Former Member

Don't mess with an ER nurse, no matter what her age or size.

I like the fact that there's a law that says that this type of self defense is OK - if there's an intruder in your home, they recognize that it is a lethal threat.

5. julianne

julianne Former Member

YAAAYYY!!! Props to this woman, for sure!!! Good for her!!! Shoot, good for ALL OF US that this creep is done breathing!!!!

6. mum33004

mum33004 New Member

Nurse Strangles Intruder With Bare Hands

By Associated Press

document.write(getElapsed("20060908T212715Z"));5 hours agoUPDATED 3 HOURS 54 MINUTES AGO

PORTLAND, Ore. - A nurse returning from work discovered an intruder armed with a hammer in her home and strangled him with her bare hands, police said.

Susan Kuhnhausen, 51, ran to a neighbor's house after the confrontation Wednesday night. Police found the body of Edward Dalton Haffey, 59, a convicted felon with a long police record.

Officer Katherine Kent said homicide detectives have determined that Kuhnhausen killed Haffey in self-defense. She said a prosecutor is investigating but that the case is not expected to go to a grand jury.

Police said there was no obvious sign of forced entry at the house when Kuhnhausen, an emergency room nurse at Providence Portland Medical Center, got home from work shortly after 6 p.m.

Under Oregon law people can use reasonable deadly force when defending themselves against an intruder or burglar in their homes. Kuhnhausen was treated and released for minor injuries at Providence.

Haffey, about 5-foot-9 and 180 pounds, had convictions including conspiracy to commit aggravated murder, robbery, drug charges and possession of burglary tools. Neighbors said Kuhnhausen's size _ 5-foot-7 and 260 pounds _ may have given her an advantage.

"Everyone that I've talked to says 'Hurray for Susan,' said neighbor Annie Warnock, who called 911. "You didn't need to calm her. She's an emergency room nurse. She's used to dealing with crisis."

7. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

This should be posted in News That Makes you Smile...cause I am grinning

8. southcitymom

southcitymom New Member

9. angelmom

angelmom The love stays...forever in our hearts

I hope if I am ever assaulted that I have the presence of mind to defend myself. I am impressed with this woman and glad that this guy won't be hurting anyone else.

10. FourthBase

FourthBase New Member

:clap:

Well done!

11. michelle

michelle Joy comes in the Morning

:laugh:
    LOL.......Linda, that is funny...

12. sleuthin4fun

sleuthin4fun Member

I am very proud of her that she had the sense about her to react. I am a nurse as well and worked years in l&d you have no choice but to think fast. The same is true for er nurses. I would guess though that she will have a hard time dealing with this.

13. txsvicki

txsvicki Active Member

She was lots bigger than this guy and he was practically elderly. She must really be strong to be able to strangle with her bare hands.

14. Becba

Becba Former Member

I have to laugh at the guy thinking he was going to hurt her than realising his life was on the line.

She was a big gal. Too bad he could not rethink his victim! lol

15. gardenmom

gardenmom Former Member

He was only 8 years older than her. She was 51 he was 59.

16. Pharlap

Pharlap Former Member

Splat===@

Another one bits the dust instead of going to jail just to get out and do it again..

17. angelwngs

angelwngs New Member

I've always said if we are ever in a war that the "50 something females support", that "menopausal females" are the key to getting it done right!

Way to go, Susan!

18. luthersmama

luthersmama Active Member

Just goes to show - don't mess with us "big" ladies. ;)

19. TallCoolOne

TallCoolOne Registered Lurker

Yeah, you'd of thought that he'd be old enough to know better, huh?

20. Details

Details Former Member

21. Amraann

Amraann Former Member

WTG!!!!!!!

How cool is she?? Big or not I think just that she wasn't a cowering female probably took this scum bag off guard.