NV NV - Aidan Clune, 19, from CA, got gas at Wendover, car fnd on US-93 near Currie, 26 Apr 2022

With such dramatic swings in temperature between the daily highs and night time lows it's possible those victims found naked were exhibiting classic signs of hypothermia. It's called paradoxical undressing.

"The phenomenon called paradoxical undressing has been described from 33 cases of hypothermia collected from Swedish police reports. The cases were almost evenly distributed with regard to sex, age, and geographical distribution. Ethanol and other drugs were present in 67% of the males and in 78% of the females, ethanol predominating in men and various psychotropic agents in women." "Paradoxical undressing" in fatal hypothermia - PubMed

Miserable conditions for today's search for Aiden Clune. Despite a forecast for 53 degrees, as of noon it's 38 degrees with winds between 12 and 20 mph. There has been snow earlier in the day, and graupel right around noon. The people conducting this search are dedicated at a fundamental level. Be aware that Search and Rescue team members are unpaid volunteers.

"The phenomenon called paradoxical undressing has been described from 33 cases of hypothermia collected from Swedish police reports. The cases were almost evenly distributed with regard to sex, age, and geographical distribution. Ethanol and other drugs were present in 67% of the males and in 78% of the females, ethanol predominating in men and various psychotropic agents in women." "Paradoxical undressing" in fatal hypothermia - PubMed

I'm not sure what you are trying to suggest here. If you know more about Sweden, you'll know that Sweden and other Scandinavian countries have indigenous peoples called Sami. They used to be called Lapps which they find offensive. In many ways they have the same issues that indigenous people in North America do. They can be marginalized. They live in remote communities. They don't always live their best lives, so of course, just like here in Canada, many resort to drugs and alcohol and just like Sweden we also have much greater instances of hypothermic indigenous deaths which includes paradoxical undressing.

Here's a link that provides a more detailed scientific explanation of paradoxical undressing without the overtones of focusing on a sub group of individuals.

Get Naked and Dig: The Bizarre Effects of Hypothermia

Last edited:
^^^Well, we're talking about Nevada, not Sweden. And we're talking about one white teenager from coastal California very likely unprepared for an excursion through the high desert, not a whole people indigenous to northern Europe who understand their environment very, very well.

So it ought to be pretty obvious what I'm suggesting - that people who take their clothes off before dying in the high desert do so because of the debilitating effects - both physiological and cognitive - of dehydration. Do you think that there might possibly be more than one reason for taking one's clothes off before dying? I do.

^^^Well, we're talking about Nevada, not Sweden. And we're talking about one white teenager from coastal California very likely unprepared for an excursion through the high desert, not a whole people indigenous to northern Europe who understand their environment very, very well.

So it ought to be pretty obvious what I'm suggesting - that people who take their clothes off before dying in the high desert do so because of the debilitating effects - both physiological and cognitive - of dehydration. Do you think that there might possibly be more than one reason for taking one's clothes off before dying? I do.

If you check a map (and other threads) you'll see that Arizona & New Mexico are neatly lined up with Nevada -- and have similar climates. Beautiful, but deadly. Wide open spaces, very low population density, varied temperatures, no water available.

Be wary driving in these states, and take more water than you think you'll need.

@Known , welcome to Websleuths. I'm a transplanted New Mexican, typing about desert climate & wide open Western spaces on a regular basis!

jmho ymmv lrr

You used Sweden as your jumping off point regarding hypothermic undressing. I agree the circumstances near the Arctic circle do not reflect the circumstances in Nevada. It's true that hypothermia can present in climes that are not usually sub zero temperatures. Soaking wet people can succumb to hypothermia in temperatures in the 50 F range. It has been colder than that in Nevada at night near where he was spotted.

Surviving the Cold, or Even the Not So Cold (Published 2007).

<modsnip> Aiden Clune has not been found. We don't know for certain whether or not he is alive. We don't know cause of death - if any. We don't know if he is clothed or neked. <modsnip>

Well, the southern tip of Nevada (Clark County/Las Vegas) overlaps with northern Arizona and northern New Mexico, but the bulk of Nevada is more northerly. In fact, Elko County where Mr. Clune parked his truck, is at the far northeastern corner of Nevada. The Currie area where the truck and the search area is located is in the neighborhood of 375 miles north of the northern borders of AZ and NM. That difference is significant.

Another factor is the elevation. The Currie area is about 5,800 feet above sea level. Yes there are areas of AZ and NM higher than that (Flagstaff is 6,900 feet, Santa Fe is 7,200), but the combination of latitude and elevation makes the Nevada high desert a different place. Similar climates, sure if you're not too precise about it. Same? Nope. For example, the Flagstaff area is heavily forested. Not so the Nevada high desert. It's sagebrush and dotted pinion trees, not pine, fir, and spruce.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is stupid. Aiden Clune has not been found. We don't know for certain whether he is alive or dead. We don't know cause of death - if any. We don't know if he is clothed or neked. So quit this ridiculous speculating, be patient, and wait for confirmed reports.

Well, the southern tip of Nevada (Clark County/Las Vegas) overlaps with northern Arizona and northern New Mexico, but the bulk of Nevada is more northerly. In fact, Elko County where Mr. Clune parked his truck, is at the far northeastern corner of Nevada. The Currie area where the truck and the search area is located is in the neighborhood of 375 miles north of the northern borders of AZ and NM.

Another factor is the elevation. The Currie area is about 5,800 feet above sea level. Yes there are areas of AZ and NM higher than that (Flagstaff is 6,900 feet, Santa Fe is 7,200), but the combination of latitude and elevation makes the Nevada high desert a different place. Similar climates, sure. Same? Nope.

That's what we do here on WS, we speculate. We take in the circumstances surrounding someone's disappearance, does it appear criminal in nature or misadventure? That's why I want to know if the damage to Aiden's vehicle was there before he started his journey.

A person with car trouble in unfamiliar surroundings like a high desert could make the fatal mistake of walking somewhere thinking they have plenty of time to get there before dark. Most people who go missing in the desert are victims of exposure not criminal acts.

Even areas considered fairly benign can be deadly. Last year a woman from Boston met an Arizona cop online and he invited her to Phoenix. They went for a walk on a Camelback trail and she got overheated. She decided to turn back and he continued on his regular walk. She ended up dead.

Until Aiden is found people will continue to speculate. We could wait a long time for some results which means the thread could die and Aiden will disappear from the narrative.

Aidan's mother's Facebook post moments ago:

"Please share with anyone in the greater Elko Nevada area. Anyone who is shed hunting please be on the lookout for my Son Aidan. If you know anyone shed hunting today, tomorrow or in the future, please contact them and ask them to be on the lookout. He's about 5'9 dark eyes and hair, 125lbs. wearing a black Northface coat."

"Please share with anyone in the greater Elko Nevada area. Anyone who is shed hunting please be on the lookout for my Son Aidan. If you know anyone shed hunting today, tomorrow or in the future, please contact them and ask them to be on the lookout. He's about 5'9 dark eyes and hair, 125lbs. wearing a black Northface coat."

I initially had some concern about eager shed hunters obscuring the boy's tracks, but I guess the wind, rain, and snow have already done that.

Last edited:
The only new news I have seen lately:

The footprints are becoming harder to find and officials have reduced the size of the team looking for him, but they plan to conduct another large search effort on Saturday, Ames said Thursday. Sheriff Aitor Narvaiza has been involved in the search on horseback, and dogs have been used as well.

Also searching are members of the White Pine County Sheriff’s Office, Nevada Fish and Game, BLM Rangers, Elko County Search and Rescue, Idaho Mountain Search and Rescue, the Civil Air Patrol, and volunteer searchers.

The sheriff’s office has not specified the exact location of the search, but will do so after Saturday’s effort if Clune has not been found by then.

ELKO COUNTY, Nev. (News 4 & Fox 11) — Civil Air Patrol’s Nevada and Utah wings are assisting the Elko County Sheriff’s Office in the search of a missing California teenager.

The teenager, identified as 19-year-old Aiden Clune of Sonoma, California, was traveling westbound on I-80. His last known location was in Wendover on April 26 where it is believed that he purchased fuel at a gas station.

Authorities believe that Aiden traveled to Wells sometime afterwards.

Aiden has brown hair and eyes, weighs about 125 pounds and is 5'8''.

An aircrew from Civil Air Patrol Utah wing launched Friday morning to resume searching the rugged mountainous area in Southwest Elko County on April 29. He was last seen wearing a dark jacket and dark pants.

Authorities say the Elko County Sheriff’s Office ground search and rescue team found Aiden's vehicle, a maroon, 2007 Nisson Frontier with a damaged back bumper and duct tape on the driver's side mirror on Thursday morning near Currie on US-93. All personal belongs were inside, but there was no sign of Aiden. Man trackers worked Thursday night and followed his tracks continuing in a southwest direction.

Anyone with information about Aiden's whereabouts is asked to contact the Elko County Sheriff's Office dispatch at 775-777-7300.

279056458_354529330032933_6843621847647218996_n.jpg

Search underway in Elko County for missing California teenager
Does anyone else think that 125 lbs seems rather thin for a 5' 8" male? I wonder if the damage to the vehicle was new or old damage. I sure hope they can find this young guy safe & soon!

Tig7 wrote, "The footprints are becoming harder to find..." Obsolete information.

LaborDayRN wrote, "Does anyone else think that 125 lbs seems rather thin for a 5' 8" male?" Yes. The normal weight for a 5'8" 19-year-old male would be between 134 and 152 pounds.

Last edited:
Does anyone else think that 125 lbs seems rather thin for a 5' 8" male? I wonder if the damage to the vehicle was new or old damage. I sure hope they can find this young guy safe & soon!

According to several websites that calculated BMI and weight and height he is within the normal range for BMI and also within the range of height/weight. Here's a couple of links.

Did his mother say why he was in the area? Was he returning to Sonoma? If he's wearing a Northface coat that should at least keep him warm for a while. We are nearly two weeks out. This is not good.

Did his mother say why he was in the area? Was he returning to Sonoma? If he's wearing a Northface coat that should at least keep him warm for a while. We are nearly two weeks out. This is not good.
The search area is extremely remote, water is exceptionally scarce, he has little or no fat reserves, the weather has been unusually cold, snowy, rainy, and windy, and he has been in the wild for 12-13 days and nights. Put it together.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back