NV NV - Aidan Clune, 19, from CA, got gas at Wendover, car fnd on US-93 near Currie, 26 Apr 2022

Currie is a ghost town with only 20 residents. 64 miles to the north you have Wells, NV with a population of 1,090, and 75 miles to the south you have Ely with a population of 3,990. His truck was parked miles to the north of Currie in the middle of high desert nowhere. There's nothing there but jackrabbits, pocket gophers, and the coyotes and badgers that hunt them. Slim pickings for a serial killer.

Again, gentle readers, if you haven't spent time -- significant amounts of time -- in the West, you just don't grasp the vastness of the desert and the conditions there.

"You must love the desert, but never trust it completely. Because the desert tests all men: it challenges every step, and kills those who become distracted." The Alchemist, in The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

jmho ymmv lrr

At 8:07 p.m., the last “ping” from Clune’s cellphone showed his location southwest of where his vehicle was abandoned, Ames wrote in an email to the Index-Tribune. Citing Clune’s mother, Ames said Clune’s phone showed his last Google search was for spark plug replacement.
Knowing he ran away and was crawling under bushes apparently alone points to a mental health break, but the fact that his last search on his phone was for spark plug replacement makes me think his car was broken down too. So did his car break down and that somehow catalyzed a mental breakdown too?

Knowing he ran away and was crawling under bushes apparently alone points to a mental health break, but the fact that his last search on his phone was for spark plug replacement makes me think his car was broken down too. So did his car break down and that somehow catalyzed a mental breakdown too?
Did he park his truck in the middle of high desert nowhere and walk away because of a mental break, or did his truck break down and cause a mental break? This is a chicken-egg type conjecture, and we will never know the answer unless the boy's mother provides the truck keys to the sheriff's office as requested. At last reading she had not done so.

Again, gentle readers, if you haven't spent time -- significant amounts of time -- in the West, you just don't grasp the vastness of the desert and the conditions there.

"You must love the desert, but never trust it completely. Because the desert tests all men: it challenges every step, and kills those who become distracted." The Alchemist, in The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

jmho ymmv lrr
Absolute truth. See post #26, this thread.

Currie is a ghost town with only 20 residents. 64 miles to the north you have Wells, NV with a population of 1,090, and 75 miles to the south you have Ely with a population of 3,990. His truck was parked miles to the north of Currie in the middle of high desert nowhere. There's nothing there but jackrabbits, pocket gophers, and the coyotes and badgers that hunt them. Slim pickings for a serial killer.

Great points.

My comment was in response to an article posted earlier in the thread, The Stories Behind These Unsolved Murders and Disappearances Along One Nevada Highway Are Truly Sinister , which posited...

Tragically, however, there has been a string of unsolved murders and disappearances along this Nevada highway which lead some to wonder whether a sinister serial killer—or killers—is the culprit.

[snip]

These disappearances have led some people (including law enforcement officers) to surmise that, perhaps, a killer or killers who are working as long-haul truckers might be prowling desolate I-80 and committing thrill kills.

Because of the large number of disappearances and deaths, the FBI has created a task force dedicated to investigating I-80 cases.

‐--------
The article was tangentially related (different interstate but not too far away) to the general area of AC's disappearance. I doubt AC was a serial killer victim since LE has said there was a single set of clear prints for searchers to follow for a long distance. Jmo.

Sorry for confusion as to what my previous post was about.

I am sad for AC and his family.

The only info in the last week or so is that the search is now considered recovery. Does anyone know what that means exactly?

Oh dear. I have the same questions as everyone. IMHO When a car is found on the side of the road and the person is not there but many or all belongings are, it generally is not a good sign for the outcome. This is discerning. The direction changes seem odd. Something could have triggered a change.
I once stopped at a gas station on a lonely long highway. It was daylight. A group of men in a pickup truck kept watching me. When I got in my car to leave they followed me. They stayed close like they were going to ram my bumper. I had no cell coverage. I sped up and made a U-turn in the two lane highway. I got up to 90 mph and went the opposite direction. I was hoping for a highway patrol to stop me. A situation like that can be frightening no matter who you are. I'm not saying this happened...just saying.

Unfortunately, it means that they believe that the person is deceased.

‘Rescue:’ hoping to find someone still alive.
‘Recovery:’ a transition to less urgent search. :(
This is correct and it has implications for how you run a search operation, infrared (if it was used) is no longer useful if the missing person is deceased, the types of dogs that are used are different and it also might mean that searches shift to just on weekends and favorable weather when more volunteers can assist since there is less time urgency.

This is correct and it has implications for how you run a search operation, infrared (if it was used) is no longer useful if the missing person is deceased, the types of dogs that are used are different and it also might mean that searches shift to just on weekends and favorable weather when more volunteers can assist since there is less time urgency.
All true. Tracker dogs and cadaver dogs are not the same dogs. Search and Rescue teams are largely unpaid civilian volunteers, many of whom have day jobs, so they are much more likely to be available for weekend searches. It is also worth noting that the Civil Air Patrol will not engage in a search unless it is likely that the subject of the search is alive.

Aidan Clune Update Aidan Clune Update Contact: Undersheriff Justin Ames FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Telephone: (775) 738-3421 Email: jkames@elkocountynv.net Date: May 24, 2022 Missing Teen in Southern Elko County (UPDATE)

The Elko County Sheriff's Office has suspended the active search for Aidan Clune in the Cherry Creek Mountain Range, located west of Currie, NV. We will continue the investigation into his disappearance until the case is solved.

The following are the facts that we know at this time: Aidan traveled from California to Utah on April 26, 2022. He then stayed the night in Wells, NV and checked out of the hotel room at approximately 6:23 AM on the morning of April 27, 2022. He traveled southbound on US93 and parked his pickup truck in the shoulder of US93 near mile marker 23. At approximately 8:50 AM on the 27th an NHP Trooper found the vehicle abandoned.

The Sheriff’s Office was notified of the situation on April 28, 2022 and we began a search for Aidan. His tracks were located leaving the area where the pickup was abandoned, and he was tracked for over 10 air miles. During the tracking process Aidan was taking off his shoes and running part of the time. He would remove his shoes and walk across roads barefoot. There were no additional tracks near Aidan’s footprints, thus indicating he was alone as he walked. Aidan left the vehicle with no additional clothing, or survival gear that would indicate that he was pleasure hiking.

The investigation has revealed that he did not have any warrants, or other criminal activity that would have caused him to run from authorities. It is our belief that Aidan was suffering from a mental episode that caused him to not only leave his vehicle, but that he made very intentional efforts to not be found. Aidan’s tracks were eventually eroded by rain and snow. The tracks were lost in the Cherry Creek Mountains several miles west of US-93.

Multiple agencies assisted in the search for Aidan, including Elko County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue, Great Basin K-9, Idaho Mountain Search and Rescue, BLM, Nevada Fish and Game, White Pine County Sheriff's Office, Lander County Sheriff's Office, and the Civil Air Patrol.

Volunteers covered hundreds of miles searching or Aidan including over 157 miles with K-9s, 651 miles with volunteers walking, 85 miles on horseback, 265 miles on ATVs, and hours of searching with aircraft. Almost 1,700 manhours have been utilized in the search.

For our outdoors enthusiasts that may be recreating in the area of Cherry Creek Mountains, please be on the lookout for any clues that may assist in locating Aidan.

Included with this press release are the pictures of the tracks that were followed and a map of the area that was searched.

If you have any information regarding this case, please contact Elko Central Dispatch at 775-777-7300. You can also contact the Elko County Sheriff's Office at 775-738-3421 or by submitting a tip using the Elko County Sheriff's Office App.

Aidan Clune Update Aidan Clune Update Contact: Undersheriff Justin Ames FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Telephone: (775) 738-3421 Email: jkames@elkocountynv.net Date: May 24, 2022 Missing Teen in Southern Elko County (UPDATE)

The Elko County Sheriff's Office has suspended the active search for Aidan Clune in the Cherry Creek Mountain Range, located west of Currie, NV. We will continue the investigation into his disappearance until the case is solved.

The following are the facts that we know at this time: Aidan traveled from California to Utah on April 26, 2022. He then stayed the night in Wells, NV and checked out of the hotel room at approximately 6:23 AM on the morning of April 27, 2022. He traveled southbound on US93 and parked his pickup truck in the shoulder of US93 near mile marker 23. At approximately 8:50 AM on the 27th an NHP Trooper found the vehicle abandoned.

The Sheriff’s Office was notified of the situation on April 28, 2022 and we began a search for Aidan. His tracks were located leaving the area where the pickup was abandoned, and he was tracked for over 10 air miles. During the tracking process Aidan was taking off his shoes and running part of the time. He would remove his shoes and walk across roads barefoot. There were no additional tracks near Aidan’s footprints, thus indicating he was alone as he walked. Aidan left the vehicle with no additional clothing, or survival gear that would indicate that he was pleasure hiking.

The investigation has revealed that he did not have any warrants, or other criminal activity that would have caused him to run from authorities. It is our belief that Aidan was suffering from a mental episode that caused him to not only leave his vehicle, but that he made very intentional efforts to not be found. Aidan’s tracks were eventually eroded by rain and snow. The tracks were lost in the Cherry Creek Mountains several miles west of US-93.

Multiple agencies assisted in the search for Aidan, including Elko County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue, Great Basin K-9, Idaho Mountain Search and Rescue, BLM, Nevada Fish and Game, White Pine County Sheriff's Office, Lander County Sheriff's Office, and the Civil Air Patrol.

Volunteers covered hundreds of miles searching or Aidan including over 157 miles with K-9s, 651 miles with volunteers walking, 85 miles on horseback, 265 miles on ATVs, and hours of searching with aircraft. Almost 1,700 manhours have been utilized in the search.

For our outdoors enthusiasts that may be recreating in the area of Cherry Creek Mountains, please be on the lookout for any clues that may assist in locating Aidan.

Included with this press release are the pictures of the tracks that were followed and a map of the area that was searched.

If you have any information regarding this case, please contact Elko Central Dispatch at 775-777-7300. You can also contact the Elko County Sheriff's Office at 775-738-3421 or by submitting a tip using the Elko County Sheriff's Office App.
Great press release. Wish they could all be this thorough. It covers all the questions I can think of: was he alone? Yes. Did he have any reason to run from LE? No. Why did he run in LE's opinion? Suspected MH crisis.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sneetchysneetches
Back