NV NV - Elko Co, WhtFem 17-25, UP8358, posed in cross position, scars, Jul'72

DaisyChains

Reaction score
This young woman was found murdered by gunshot and had been posed as if she were on a cross. This case deeply disturbs me. It is sad to me that I cannot find a picture/sketch of her to help figure out her identity. One person is ruled out and that is Nadine Timm of Illinois. This Jane doe has dentals and partial finger prints available, but no DNA.

Case File: 964UFNV
Doe Network 964UFNV
No_Image_Available_female.jpg

[h=1]Unidentified Female[/h]Date of Discovery: July 14, 1972
Location of Discovery: Elko County, Nevada
Estimated Date of Death: Months prior
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Cause of Death: Homicide by gunshot
[h=5]Physical Description[/h]** Listed information is approximateEstimated Age: 20-25 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'2"
Weight: 105-115 lbs.
Hair Color: Reddish-blonde to light brown, curly and shoulder-length.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Scar on the outside of her right knee. Appendectomy scar on right lower quadrant.
Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Available for one finger.
DNA: Not available.
[h=5]Clothing & Personal Items[/h]Clothing: None.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
[h=5]Case History[/h]A rancher found the victim's decomposed body in rural Elko County, a half mile west of Star Valley Road. The area is about eight miles south of I-80.
The victim's body was nude and had been posed in a cross-like manner. She had been shot by a .22 caliber handgun in the neck and left cheek.
A dark blue Volkswagen Beetle with Tennessee plates was seen in the area around July 7th. It was believed to be reported stolen from Tennessee, but was not recovered.
[h=5]Investigating Agency(s)[/h]If you have any information about this case please contact;Agency Name: Elko County Coroner's Office
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 775-738-8936

Agency Case Number: 197200455
NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: UP #8358
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
[h=5]Information Source(s)[/h]NamUs
Elko Daily News Archive (November 24, 2009)

Some possible matches to get things rolling:

http://www.nampn.org/cases/allison_helen.html
http://www.nampn.org/cases/pickle_sherry.html
http://www.nampn.org/cases/schulze_lynne.html
http://www.nampn.org/cases/wesolowski_mary.html (probably too young, but she is listed as having a scar on her abdomen)

I'm sure there are much better and many more matches to go through.
A lot of them are a but below the age estimate, but those can be off so they are possible

Sent from my UMI_Diamond using Tapatalk

Have there been any other cases of girls being posed nude in a cross position ? That seems odd and specific, and not like a one time killer or crime of passion type thing. Also shooting her in the face seems unusual to me as well, it seems to be most commonly the head, not the actual face. But I could be wrong

I am also wondering if there have been any other cases of females found in this time period posed in a cross position. Let me know if you come across any as well. It is what initially drew me to her case. Was her killing taunting LE? Was this something he had done before when posing bodies? What could it be symbolic of?

Am going to start a search now to see. Thank You Dr.Strangelove for your interest.

I am aware the ages are a bit young, but as you said sometimes that can be off a little bit. I try to stay true to the age, but there weren't many if any women of the estimated age range who fit this doe IMHO.

[h=1]https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15568704
The rarity of "unusual" [corrected] dispositions of victim bodies: staging and posing.[/h]Keppel RD1, Weis JG.
[h=3]Author information[/h]

[h=3]Erratum in[/h]
  • J Forensic Sci. 2005 Sep;50(5):1267.

[h=3]Abstract[/h]The act of leaving a victim's body in an unusual position is a conscious criminal action by an offender to thwart an investigation, shock the finder and investigators of the crime scene, or give perverted pleasure to the killer. The unusual position concepts of posing and staging a murder victim have been documented thoroughly and have been accepted by the courts as a definable phenomenon. One staging case and one posing case are outlined and reveal characteristics of those homicides. From the Washington State Attorney General's Homicide Investigation and Tracking System's database on murder covering the years 1981-2000 (a total of 5,224 cases), the relative frequency of unusual body dispositions is revealed as a very rare occurrence. Only 1.3% of victims are left in an unusual position, with 0.3% being posed and 0.1% being staged. The characteristics of these types of murders also set them apart: compared to all other murders, in staged murders the victims and killers are, on average, older. All victims and offenders in the staged murders are white, with victims being disproportionately white in murders with any kind of unusual body disposition. Likewise, females stand out as victims when the body is posed, staged, or left in other unusual positions. Whereas posed bodies are more likely to include sexual assault, often in serial murders, there is no evidence of either in the staged cases. Lastly, when a body is left in an unusual position, binding is more likely, as well as the use of more "hands on" means of killing the victim, such as stabbing or cutting weapons, bludgeons, ligatures, or hands and feet.

Apparently this jane doe is called "Star Valley Jane Doe"
[FONT=&amp]
"Whether it’s placing the body in a remote location far off the main highway as is the case with a Starr Valley Jane Doe or disfiguring the corpse so it takes longer to ID the body as in the Thousand Springs Jane Doe, these practices give the killer the opportunity to put greater distances between themselves and the crime scene."

"[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Starr Valley[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Jane Doe
The oldest cold case being handled by the Elko County Sheriff’s Office is another example of a killer who has gone to extra lengths to make sure the body wasn‘t found until he or she was well away from the site. The nude, posed body of a 20- to 25-year-old unidentified woman was found in early July 1972 about 8 miles south of Interstate 80 in Starr Valley by a rancher. The location is just off of Dennis Flats Road, which goes between Starr Valley and Halleck.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

In one crime scene photo, Lamoille can be seen to the south and part of the 71 Ranch is seen to the east. Although the road is known by locals, a person not familiar with the area would have to have driven a considerable distance to get to the location.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Journigan said she was shot in her left cheek and in her neck by a .22 caliber handgun. She had a scar on the outside of her right knee and had an appendectomy scar. She had collar-length reddish-blond hair. She was 5 feet, 2 inches tall and weighed 110-115 pounds. One finger print was recovered from the body, which was in a significant state of decomposition.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Journigan said dental records are available for the woman, but it can be difficult to make a match if other agencies where the woman was from don’t have records on their end to do a comparison.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The only lead on the case is a dark blue Volkswagen bug with Tennessee plates was seen driving in the area about July 7, 1972. The car is believed to have been one reported stolen from Tennessee, but it has never been recovered. Journigan said there was other suspect info based on other missing people, but “nobody was able to follow up on it.”
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“A lot of investigative work was done, but it never led to anything,” Journigan said. “At the time, they didn’t have a lot of the resources we have now.”

[/FONT]
http://elkodaily.com/news/local/carson-city-detectives-meeting-may-unlock-clues-to-some-unsolved/article_9b023c9a-d9dd-5309-9cf6-8cd2b2830e28.html

I am also wondering if there have been any other cases of females found in this time period posed in a cross position. Let me know if you come across any as well. It is what initially drew me to her case. Was her killing taunting LE? Was this something he had done before when posing bodies? What could it be symbolic of?

Am going to start a search now to see. Thank You Dr.Strangelove for your interest.

I am aware the ages are a bit young, but as you said sometimes that can be off a little bit. I try to stay true to the age, but there weren't many if any women of the estimated age range who fit this doe IMHO.
It would seem there was another victim posed in a cross like manner in NV in 1993 (which I have been worried about when looking at all these bodies in NV). If the same killer that would mean he had been active very long!!! At least 21 years!!

[FONT=&amp]"But most peculiar about this case is something detectives would see 19 years later — the case of Shafter Jane Doe.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]On Nov. 16, 1993, the body of a woman was found at the Shafter exit on Interstate 80. Reports from the time the incident was investigated indicate the woman was found nude, severely beaten on her face, shot in the chest and then posed in a cross-like manner. The shot by a small caliber handgun to her chest is believed to be what killed her.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The Starr Valley body was also posed in a cross-like manner. Although the two are 21 years apart, Journigan said some serial killers have been known to go many years between killings. But judging from similar cases found around Nevada, the killer may not have waited 21 years. Journigan said this week he is meeting in Carson City with a group of other investigators from around Nevada to compare notes on cases involving similar murders. The possibility exists that some of these murder victims were done by the same person, but that remains to be seen.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“These are the types of things we’re trying to do to solve these cases,” Journigan said.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Journigan is going to bring a list of all the physical evidence the sheriff’s office has on file with him to the Carson City meeting, including a list of DNA evidence.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“To do justice to any of these, you have to focus on each one at a time,” Journigan said. “You have to pick the ones that are the most solvable. To be fair to each one, you have to devote a lot of time and effort into each case.”
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Getting a team together to compare notes is a step in the right direction."
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“I would like to resolve some of these,” Journigan said, gesturing to a large bookcase stacked with 5-inch thick, three-ring binders marked by dates and locations.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]“The probability for a number of them is good.”

[/FONT]
http://elkodaily.com/news/local/carson-city-detectives-meeting-may-unlock-clues-to-some-unsolved/article_9b023c9a-d9dd-5309-9cf6-8cd2b2830e28.html

Could she be one of the great basin murder victims? She seems to fit the bill for some of those victims. Some of them were posed in crosses

Dale Wayne Eaton has been suspected of commiting the great basin murders. He had ties to Nevada. He would have been around 26 in 1972, making it possible IMO that he is responsible for this Jane Does murder

Great find with the connection between this case and Shaftner Jane Doe DaisyChains! These cases both disturb me as well and since they're fairly close to my area I have a particular interest in them.

Thinking about the location I am curious about two very different possibilities for where these women could have come from -one thing is that Elko at least currently has legal brothels. I am not positive how long they've been legal there or if there was also street level prostitution at the time. That's sort of what Elko is known for though: brothels and mining. Another very different possibility is that this section of the country as well as Eastern Idaho, near Altus, WY where Shaftner Jane Doe was thought to live has a very large LDS presence, at least now. While most of the community is mainstream there are the polygamist cults around. If these victims were apostates they may have not been reported missing and would have been vulnerable with no family support finding their way around the gentile world the hard way.

Dale Wayne Eaton has been suspected of commiting the great basin murders. He had ties to Nevada. He would have been around 26 in 1972, making it possible IMO that he is responsible for this Jane Does murder

amazing find thank you so much! I had been looking around for serial offenders who had an MO of posing bodies in cross positions to no avail. I'm so glad you found this info! :yourock::tyou::tyou:

Interesting that 1988 Mount Vernon (NY) Jane Doe was also posed in the same manner. She wasn't shot though, and the M.O. is quite different.

Could she be one of the great basin murder victims? She seems to fit the bill for some of those victims. Some of them were posed in crosses

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...n-in-murder-of-denver-teen-lisa-marie-kimmell

There is also a WYOMING connection to serial killer Eaton. The body in 1993 found in Elko also posed in a cross position is believed to be from a Wyoming woman possibly right??? Eaton resided in Wyoming!

Now things are really getting interesting.

Eaton was not apprehended until 2002! That would mean he certainly could have murdered the women in the early 70's as well as Shaftner Jane Doe in 1993!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back