Found Deceased NV - Madelyn Lingenfelter, 19, Reno, 19 Sept 2018

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by tbum, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Roxxi3535

Roxxi3535 Former Member

Really??? Wow!!! Thats absurd. ugh!!!

Jethro4WS and ThePhantom like this.

2. Roxxi3535

Roxxi3535 Former Member

Ah, I had a feeling that you may be directly connected to this family. You seem deeply concerned for Maddy. Im so sorry that she is still missing. Im glad to see you being active in her search. Maddy deserves that.

Im slightly confused as to why your mom wouldnt want to tell Maddy's mom of helpful resources to assist in the search for her daughter? I think you should strongly encourage your mom to tell her sooner than later. It isnt a bad thing that the family should care and want to help out in any way possible. I think its worth a shot and that your heart is definitely in the right place here little lady.

Alcina, enchilada, Jethro4WS and 3 others like this.
  3. ThePhantom

ThePhantom Well-Known Member

I understand your situation, Profitamole. There's only so much you can do. You did give your Mom the info and you're right, it's up to her and Maddy's Mom now. Roxxi is right, it's very helpful for the family to take advantage of whatever resources are available. And it's great you are involved the way you are. Hopefully they'll consider reaching out to this organization as they are very experienced. In the meantime, we are here.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Alcina, Indy Anna, GarAndTeed and 3 others like this.
  4. ThePhantom

Profitamole, here is another group for you to check out: Home |

5. ThePhantom

One month mark is upon us. No additional volunteer groups searching the park? Not long before it will be inhospitable to any searches. I'm not saying this in any way to cast any aspersion at all on the family, but if it were my daughter, I couldn't stand it, I'd be on my knees begging for any of the aforementioned agencies to please help me.

6. Roxxi3535

Roxxi3535 Former Member

I agree. It seems everyone is allowing this poor girls disappearance to go cold. I really think Maddy deserves to be found.
    The weather is going to start changing soon, if not already. It will be impossible to perform searches once it set ins.
    Day after day, no word on anymore searches or a simple update.
    Honestly, i dont know why LE feels its beneficial to put the public on ignore and intentionally withhold information on a case like this. If they believed a crime had occured then we would have heard about it by now. (IMO)
    LE summons the public to assist in locating a missing person, and without notice, were no longer entitled to know what is going on or being done to locate them.
    Even an update saying theyve got nothing is far better than the silence.

7. ThePhantom

Totally agree, Roxxi. To be honest, I can’t recall any case in recent memory in which the police were so tight lipped. What does this say about this investigation? Even if it is believed she is no longer with us, it seems assistance would still be solicited to find her. Wow.

8. profitamole

profitamole Member

i never realized this wasnt normal for missing cases. personally ive always suspected foul play.

Alcina, Indy Anna, Roxxi3535 and 2 others like this.
  9. ThePhantom

That's interesting, as a few of us here had the feeling it might be suicide. I hate even thinking that. If it was foul play, you would think the police would be more aggressive with asking the public for help, tips, info -- yet we hear nothing. Very strange, and very disturbing.

10. Jethro4WS

Jethro4WS Well-Known Member

It is normal with adult missing cases. Adults are free to go anywhere they want, whenever they want, leave behind their possessions, and never speak to anyone they ever knew again. That is pretty much the position of law enforcement unless they think some crime has occurred or they have a reasonable belief the person may be lost or injured or otherwise endangered. If Madelyn had been 16 instead of 19 then law enforcement would be more public and asking for assistance.

That said, there are things about the story I don't like that, for me, puts foul play slightly ahead of self harm. Also, any update at all out of law enforcement would be useful.

Alcina, Indy Anna, Roxxi3535 and 6 others like this.
  11. ThePhantom

Jethro, of course what you're saying is true, but it seems to me that, given the apparent nature of the letters Madelyn evidently sent to some friends, she should have been regarded as endangered. I believe that's why the sheriff's office sent the Hasty team up there right away. The age of 19 of course makes Madelyn legally an adult, but there are many cases in which young people go missing and if the police don't keep up communication with the public, then often the family or community does. It's also sad to me the way some cases receive significant public attention while others fade into forgotten. The radio silence is odd, to me.

Alcina, Novalee, Roxxi3535 and 3 others like this.
  12. Neva525

Neva525 Member

The news report said the manager saw her car that Wednesday with a woman in the passengers seat that is now believed to be her. Why would she be alone in the passengers seat of her own car?

The police showed up to that spot that Friday because her cell pinged in the area. Why would the event staff let a car be parked on their private property for 3 days? Most places would have it tagged to be towed.

It also said that they searched the woods AND surrounding houses because they had no leads on where she went. It wasn't just a search of the woods. No mention of checking the security video at the events venue . They did search the car and said there was nothing to indicate what happened. Family and friends said she wasn't outdoorsy. I'm going with foul play.

Alcina, Indy Anna, Novalee and 4 others like this.
  13. Roxxi3535

Roxxi3535 Former Member

What brings you to this conclusion? May i ask what you believe occurred on the day she went missing? Of course you dont have to answer that, just curious to know your thoughts. LE has definitely left the door wide open for speculation. I had originally thought foul play was involved here but have since changed my mind about that.

14. profitamole

profitamole Member

I never personally met Maddie but the way my family talks about her disappearing seems really out of character for her. I had more but I have a cold rn and i cant think

Alcina, Indy Anna, Roxxi3535 and 2 others like this.
  15. ThePhantom

I had more but I have a cold rn and i cant think[/QUOTE]

I hope you feel better soon, profitamole!!

Alcina, Indy Anna and Jethro4WS like this.
  16. Roxxi3535

Roxxi3535 Former Member

Im sorry you are feeling under the weather. I dont envy you one bit. Being sick isnt any fun.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, please dont be offended, but if you have never personally met Maddy then how well does your immediate family really know her? Have they visited with her in recent years or talked regularly with her? I only say this because teenagers make some uncharacteristic transitions during these years of their life, alot of times, unrecognizable changes to their appearance, demeanor and behavior. I dont know if you can identify with what im saying being that you are a teenager yourself, but if you look back to when you were younger Im sure you will recognize that youre nothing like the child you once were. People change.

Have you had a chance to go through Maddy and her friends social media posts yet? If not, I encourage you to have a look. Its answered alot of my questions, perhaps it will provide you with the same.
    Im still hoping for an update from LE but I wont hold my breath.

When you feel better please return so you can finish sharing your thoughts with us.
    For now, drink lots of liquids and try to get some rest. Hope you feel better soon.

Alcina, Indy Anna, enchilada and 4 others like this.
  17. ThePhantom

Just curious to know, how many studying this case believe Maddy's disappearance is a suicide versus foul play. If foul play, how do you think that might have happened?

Jethro4WS likes this.
  18. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Suicide gets my vote. LE (IMO) would be much more invested if foul play were suspected. If she were seen in her car and then murdered and dumped, I'm thinking evidence would be all over the place. Based on her being an adult who has the right to walk away, and with no proof that she harmed herself, I think they have backed off the case. Curious though because if she were my daughter I'd be all over the place looking for her. JMO

Novalee, Detectivediva, Suglo and 2 others like this.
  19. ThePhantom

Thanks, zecats - I agree with you about looking for a daughter or son — I’d be out there making a lot of noise and asking for help. I’m not okay at all with the idea of doing nothing — suicide or not, if someone I love suddenly disappears, I need to know where they are so I can either help them or lay them to rest. After day 4 of the initial search in Galena Park, the sheriff indicated they found no clues nor any sign at all of Madelyn. I must say it does surprise me that none of the dogs picked up her scent. Even if Maddy traversed much farther than the park, it would seem at least one of the dogs would have tracked her scent. Could she have gotten into a car with someone and left the area perhaps?

Jethro4WS likes this.
  20. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

That would be a preferred scenario for sure, and that she is alive and safe somewhere. If this is the case, she doesn't want to be found. Now I'm rethinking.
    I only meant that LE might have given up because she is an adult and there was no evidence of anything. But the way her friends talk about it seems a bit ominous though, if not at least worth checking out.
    ETA What else can be done if there are no clues at all? (Mostly hypothetical).

Indy Anna, ThePhantom and Jethro4WS like this.