GUILTY NV - Micaela 'Mickey' Costanzo, 16, West Wendover, 3 March 2011

I also watched this case on Dateline a couple of days ago. What a tragedy. Such a beautiful, smart talented girl whose life was snuffed out by jealousy. I think both of them had motive- he because he wanted Mickie, and she wanted nothing to do with him, and Toni out of pure jealousy, just like the Texas Cadet case. Toni's mother is in massive denial, making her out to be the good little Mormon girl who was a beauty queen. I see an ugly girl inside and out who is lying through her teeth. She keeps looking down and to the sides in her interview. If Kody were so domineering, why did they invite him to live with them? Why did Toni voluntarily confess and write him letters addressing him as Teddy Bear and her husband?
R.I.P. Mickie
P.S. This was premeditated because of the shovel and the "designated" place. You don't just drive to a remote area of desert to talk to someone.

I also watched this case on Dateline a couple of days ago. What a tragedy. Such a beautiful, smart talented girl whose life was snuffed out by jealousy. I think both of them had motive- he because he wanted Mickie, and she wanted nothing to do with him, and Toni out of pure jealousy, just like the Texas Cadet case. Toni's mother is in massive denial, making her out to be the good little Mormon girl who was a beauty queen. I see an ugly girl inside and out who is lying through her teeth. She keeps looking down and to the sides in her interview. If Kody were so domineering, why did they invite him to live with them? Why did Toni voluntarily confess and write him letters addressing him as Teddy Bear and her husband?
R.I.P. Mickie
P.S. This was premeditated because of the shovel and the "designated" place. You don't just drive to a remote area of desert to talk to someone.

BBM
And bring a shovel !

And I am pretty sure that when two girls decide to 'fight it out' they do so with an audience of their friends, egging them on, and witnessing the outcome.

I highly doubt that Mickey went for that drive willingly. I think he went to tai with her after school and she said NO THANKS, and he nabbed her anyway abd put the zip ties on her. JMO

Ok, CCD's 2 cents....
I just finished watching this Dateline. I nearly flipped a table. I see it that Toni was way more involved than she let on. I can't believe Kody didn't flip on her.
The one thing I can't figure out logically is this - if Kody was a big bad scary boyfriend, why did he take all the blame for Mickie's death? Why did he not involve her at all? I would imagine he'd try to find a scapegoat any way he could. Instead he covers for her? No way....she clearly pulled the strings here.

:bump:

I watched the Dateline episode about this story and thought I'd post my thoughts.

I find it very hard to believe that Kody was the mastermind behind this. I believe he had something to do with it, don't get me wrong and he deserves to be in prison, but I entirely believe Toni was the mastermind and nobody can convince me otherwise. It sucks that she has the opportunity for parole.

Her parents were acting like Kody was this abusive and awful guy, but why did they let him stay with them then for six weeks? I'm sure any parent witnessing their daughter being abused by their boyfriend in anyway would intervene. I believe that Kody could get rough (as evidenced by the surveillance tapes) but I don't believe that was enough to be a habit and abuse and she's just using this ~abused woman~ facade to hide behind so she looks less guilty, which is really horrible. I watched her parents answer to Anderson Cooper when he asked them that question, but it was very much a non-answer.

(If anyone wants to see the clip, here it is. Anderson has some other really interesting short clips on YouTube about this case, including one where Mickey's family says they believe Toni was the instigator.)

Kody Lived in Toni's House Before Micaela's Murder - YouTube

If I believe what Mickey's family said about Toni and how she would call Mickey mean names all the time she'd walk past, then there was obviously tension between them. From what they said too, it seems like Toni was jealous of most girls who talked to Kody (but in particular Mickey).

Mickey had been close to Kody for years and I think Toni envied the time they had known each other and the bond they had shared. It doesn't help that Mickey was really pretty too (and Toni really isn't that pretty.)

The slashes on her face just scream that Toni did it and I'm not convinced she's as innocent as she's making out.

I believe that she got into a car voluntarily with Kody from school, thinking he was alone and maybe said he wanted to apologise to her (as he had annoyed her weeks ago and she ignored him) and wanted to drop her at her house, knowing she was walking, but Toni jumped from the back and managed to restrain her (as they said they found a zip tie around her wrists). Then they drove her to the gravel pits. I think Kody did it because he was annoyed at her and maybe wanted to scare her a bit, as Mickey's sisters said, he would do annoying stuff to get her attention and play pranks. Maybe this was another extreme prank like the box cutter? Then she probably started to freak out, realising she was in a remote area and maybe started to fight back and really hurt Toni more than she thought she did, or they started having a heated argument, and Toni got annoyed so that's when she started all the slashing and hitting (another reason why the slashes on her faces are there), and maybe she told Kody to do a few of them because "if you really love me, you'll do it" or "if you prefer me over her, you will have no trouble doing this", etc. Or Kody started to help her, knowing what Toni wanted to do now so she said those things and got Kody to participate. Kody, wanting to protect his girlfriend, confessed to the murder. As I said though, this is just my theory and I doubt we will never know the truth (although Mickey's family should definitely know). I certainly don't believe Kody was the mastermind, and I don't believe for an absolute second that Toni was ordered by Kody to kill her. I am just skeptical of a childhood friend being the mastermind in a murder, just like in the Skylar Neese case (very similar case to this).

Although this doesn't explain the shovel, which I am really puzzled by. Why was there a shovel in the car borrowed from the woman Kody was having an affair with and how did Micaela end up in it? That says to me they were planning on killing her. Toni must've wondered where Kodi got this car from, too.

So many questions.

Toni is just a horrible liar and the slip up of "the designated area" speaks volumes that it was a planned location.

It's so sad how Mickey died. Her last 30 minutes on earth were probably horrific and torturous, all because of a jealous girl. I am glad she's getting justice though, that's one positive out of this. Nobody deserves the death she got.

I should begin by saying that I believe both KP and TF were involved in this horrific crime and am glad that they are both serving lengthy prison terms.
Regarding the question of who was ultimately the driving force behind this murder, all I can be sure of is the following. One dependent attempted to take responsibility for their actions at nearly every opportunity. This person was unwilling to throw their co-defendent under the bus despite being given several chances to do just that. It would appear that this person remained unwilling to point the finger at their co-defendent through the bitter end.
One defendent by contrast did the exact opposite. They repeatedly cast blame on the other party, all while minimizing their own role. This person never did seem willing to accept full responsibility for their actions. I find these patterns of behavior to be very telling...

i just watched a Dateline episode on this case. Toni is clearly guilty. She does not need to be granted parole after 18 years. Her father said that Kody was like a son to him. THen, later on, he and the mother try to make him out to be an abuser and a horrible person. You can't have it both ways. If he was so bad, why would you allow him to live in your house with your high school daughter? Micaela was a very pretty girl and Toni was jealous. She wanted her dead, just like Diane Zamora wanted Adrienne Jones dead. Hopefully Toni never gains her freedom.

Reference the article, appears the next parole hearing for the convicted accomplice Toni Fratto will be in May 2024. Just caught a Dateline Unforgettable episode “Under the Desert Sky” on this case. Very sad story. Statement from the Associated Press Deseret News April 4, 2021 article:

”Her next parole hearing is scheduled May 2024.”

I’m watching it again now and surprised to hear that she has a parole date already.

Yes, me as well. Seems rather soon for such a horrid crime. And for the apparent participation in it as well. She seemed to be awful jealous of the other girl that they killed. I also am having difficulty listening to her parent’s discussion in the Dateline episode. Her participation in the crime reminds in some respect of the case of Karla Homolka. MOO

Yes, me as well. Seems rather soon for such a horrid crime. And for the apparent participation in it as well. She seemed to be awful jealous of the other girl that they killed. I also am having difficulty listening to her parent’s discussion in the Dateline episode. Her participation in the crime reminds in some respect of the case of Karla Homolka. MOO

I can understand that her parent are grabbing for anything but they are aware I’m sure that when stories and confessions are rewritten like this has been, its pretty revealing.

Yes, very true. Yet in watching the Dateline and evidence shown, hard not to be convinced of her guilt. And seems perhaps just as culpable as the other defendant. The apparent point at which her boyfriend is at the school and sends a text to Toni to the effect ‘I have got her now’…… seems very convincing of her willing involvement. And also preplanning and premeditation. She also spoke in her most recent discussion with Dateline of their arriving at the ‘designated place’…… then seemed to try and backtrack on that - and the significance of that admission. Sure hope suitable testimony and evidence is presented at the next and subsequent parole hearings. MOO

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back