NV NV - Monica DaSilva, 7, Reno, 23 Sept 1990

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by Kat, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

Cold case investigators looking at possible link between Reno, Vegas child murders

http://www.rgj.com/article/20110728...urders?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Local News|s

2:08 PM, Jul. 28, 2011

2 page article.

It gives the outlines of how the girls went missing and where they were located deceased. Monica was taken from her bedroom on Sept. 23, 1990 her bones were later found by a family hunting for rocks in Oct. of 1990.

On Nov. 23, 1986, April Rhodes went to sleep in her ground-level North Las Vegas bedroom on North Statz Street where she shared a bunk bed with her brother. She was found to be missing the next morning and later discovered in a nearby vacant apartment storage room.

The article doesn't state what evidence is leading them in the direction that these two might be connected in someway.

2. Loading...

3. Wholehearted

Wholehearted New Member

Both girls were abducted from their bedrooms, while their brothers slept. It seems so risky, from the perspective of the killer, to abduct children in this way. Monica's brother was too young to pretend to be asleep or to be threatened into silence (I'm thinking of Elizabeth Smart's sister and Polly Klaas's friend, here). I guess what I'm saying is, how would you know a toddler wouldn't wake up and cry? Maybe it was just a crazy risk the killer took anyway? I'm wondering if there have been any other similar cases in the meantime.

Either way, it's so disturbing. I hope they're close to finding this guy.

4. Ambercat

Ambercat New Member

Monica's brother was five years old at the time; April's brother was 10. I wonder if the murder used something like chloroform or something of that nature to make sure that the brother stays asleep?

I would like to know why the screen was off of the window (who's idea it was)? Somehow, after reading the article, I have the belief that the killer was associated with April Rhodes building (either in maintenance or another resident) because how else would he know that particular apartment where he killed her was vacant at the time.

5. Wholehearted

Wholehearted New Member

Huh, you're right about Monica's brother being five. For some reason, I glossed over that, because of where it said one of her favorite things to do was taking care of him. Seemed like something you'd say about a much younger child.

I agree, it does seem like he would have had a lot of familiarity and comfort regarding the apartment, to be so brazen.

About the screen, I went back and forth trying to interpret what "left open and its screen removed" meant. I thought it meant that's what the killer did, but it definitely could be by the residents. Unclear writing.

6. ChilliPepper

ChilliPepper New Member

Jasper Everett Goddard was arrested on July 3 during a traffic stop in Missouri for the April Rhodes case. An arrest warrant had been issued due to a DNA match.

7. Jewels53

Jewels53 Justice For Lucas!

8. Filly

Filly KICKING AND SHINING

9. Jewels53

Yes I was going to go find April's thread next. I just happened upon this article and came to search here on WS and Monica came up first. So I posted it here first.

adding: There is not a separate thread for April Rhodes.

Thanks Filly!

10. Jewels53

I am replying to myself to add a couple of quote's from the article:

11. Jewels53

Newest article:

http://www.rgj.com/article/20130712...stigate-Mo-arrestee-1990-DaSilva-child-murder

12. scosteve

scosteve New Member

Hello All. Wondering if anyone has heard of any updates from this sicko's trial?

Sorry if info here somewhere, can't find anything past 2013

Thanks

13. JusticeWillBeServed

JusticeWillBeServed Well-Known Member

Disappearance and death of Monica DaSilva still haunts detectives

http://mynews4.com/news/local/disappearance-and-death-of-monica-dasilva-still-haunts-detectives

[​IMG]