NV NV - Nita Mayo, 64, Hawthorne, 8 August 2005

This case has bothered me because it appeared to defy explaination. Last week I happened to drive over Sonora Pass so I stopped and took a look at the Donnel Overlook, where Nita's car was found. This spot is truley remote. There is nowhere near it that anyone whold reasonably attempted to walk to from there. The nearest structure is Strawberry that is at least 5 miles away. There are no trails or landmarks of any kind anywhere near. There is a small area of semi-flat land between the highway and the cliff like drop-off to the north and west. There is no way she could have just walked into the forest and gotten lost. In every direction, a five minute walk would have put in steep, rugged terrain that no 64 year novice hiker would ever attempt. There are only two possible explainations: 1) She went out a little too far to take a photo and slipped and fell (or more likely slid) down one of the slopes. Has the steep area been thouroghly searched? 2) She left the outlook with someone else in a vehicle. I assume that she did know how to use her keypad (so she wasn't locked out of her car) and the care was driveable. What possble motive would someone have for abducting, killing and concealing the body of a 64 year old woman? There was some speculation regarding a woman in the vicinity with a stuck car asking for help; but again, How would this fit in? There is the possiblity she was abducted elsewhere and the vehicle was just abandoned there. This would require a second driver and vehicle and, and the very least, the cash in her purse would have been taken. Again, what possible motive? I considered suicide but the "cliffs" just aren't high and steep enough to be a "sure thing" . In any event a good search should have yield the body.

One reason people who are lost in the wilds are never found is that when you are weakend, cold, injured or dying, it is natural to seek out any kind of shelter you can find. Perhaps between rocks, in brush or under a downed tree. This shelter can make it difficlt for a body to be found. I think she is there somewhere and her skeleten will show signs of serious injury.

The search did not find anything, but we did another section on foot that had not been searched..The front of the cliff has been traversed many times and a helicopter came in..below the cliffs have been looked through by many many searchers..Still there are large and small crevases in the rocks and thick manzanita as well as fallen trees, we did a very detailed search of all crevases and under trees and in the middle of heavy brush.
This was the east side of the vista.. There are search tags 200 yards out on the west side and all the way down to the water.
No sign of her or anything that belonged to her..
Many many items have been found throughout the searches just none of these found items pertained to the missing person nita mayo.

Are there any web sleuth's in the house ? :waitasec:

I need help on research.
All missing persons, murders, male suicides in the area of Tuolumne County.
2 years prior or in and about..
and 2 years past..up to today.

Just post it here for research..:rolleyes:

sleuth (slūth)
pron.gif

n.
  1. A detective.
  2. See sleuthhound (sense 1).
v., sleuthed, sleuth·ing, sleuths.

v.tr.
To track or follow.
v.intr.
To act as a detective.
[Short for SLEUTHHOUND.]
WORD HISTORY Tracking down the history of the word sleuth requires a bit of etymological sleuthing. The immediate ancestor of our word is the compound sleuthhound, “a dog, such as a bloodhound, used for tracking or pursuing.” This term took on a figurative sense, “tracker, pursuer,” which is closely related to the sense “detective.” From sleuthhound came the shortened form sleuth, recorded in the sense “detective” as early as 1872. The first part of the term sleuthhound means “track, path, trail,” and is first recorded in a Middle English work written probably around 1200. The Middle English word, which had the form sloth, with eu representing the Scots development of the Middle English (ō), was a borrowing of the Old Norse word slōdh, “a track or trail.”

Bumping for Nita...
cazador, why the interest in Tuolumne county? are you searching for someone there also?

In another voice here, about the above kemo post, I disagree on a few points..first of all, dardanelles resort is right there, and I have traversed this area on foot for years,(know cabin owners) and finding a body of an accidentally injured person is likely impossible, due to wildlife. I know someone who 'disappeared' in the exact same area, in the winter, and was found by search and rescue and the sherriff in a few hours, these folks who work this area and live in it in the winter are very very adept at the terrain and finding things or people, so I think that abduction or wanted disappearance are the closest to reality IMO. Just my perspective, please feel free to elaborate on your ideas...thanks

I have some oddball questions here, so bear with me, I am asking in case they pertain to another missing person case I have looked at

Was Nita someone who enjoyed occasional gambling?
Did Nita have any ties to the states of either Oklahoma, or to Missouri?

thanks for any info

Hi
Well I had moved the information over to BFN "Blogs For Natalee" as we had the mayo family as members.
We organized and did a full 3 day search of the area..
There were no new leads developed by that search.

I can answer your questions.

1.The information on Tuolumne county was needed to develop history of crimes in that area over a period of time.. Done.
2.Nita did not appear to be a gambler or have any bad habits..
3.Nita was only noted in and around Hawthorn Nevada.

The F.B.I. now has the case as they have considered some other angle.
They are not sharing info.. :rolleyes:
We are in a holding pattern at the moment,.

Can I join this other site to follow? I cannot find it anywhere...

I have my ideas that she went with another person, possibly a missing person, but it is a theory.

Thanks for the info, please let me know where to continue...

http://www.uniondemocrat.com/localnews/4337259-151/missing-but-not-forgotten#

Every time he hears human remains are found in the Mother Lode, Nita Mayo’s son, Pete, drops what he’s doing and calls his sisters. He asks himself if this could be it, could his mother finally be found?

Two weeks ago, Mayo, 51, of Tennessee, read on Facebook that remains were found near Pinecrest. “I started making phone calls,” he said.

It turned out the remains weren’t his mother...

“That’s basically all we have to hold on to, is for somebody to find her, because nobody is looking for her,” Mayo said.

Eleven years later, family, community await answers on missing nurse

http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/Eleven-years-later-family-community-await-answers-on-missing-nurse-389552741.html

If you walk into Hawthorne's Mount Grant Hospital today you may notice yellow ribbons. A poster with Nita Mayo's picture hangs near the entrance to the emergency room.

After 11 years her co-workers haven't forgotten the energetic, independent five foot Englishwoman who was known, it seems, by everyone in town.

"Everybody knows the doctors and nurses in that town because they've either seen them or a friend or relative have seen them." says Dr. Daniel Dees. "So people knew Nita in that community."

Repeatedly, the surrounding rugged landscape was searched by her family and volunteers. Others distributed flyers far and wide. It was an effort that enlisted volunteers from her home town and beyond.

Again nothing and it's been that way for 11 years. Friends and family keep the watch and wait for closure.

"I just cannot picture her gone," says Butler "or someone even wanting to kill her. So, I guess I still have hopes of her coming back."

http://mcindependentnews.com/2016/12/another-search-missing-nurse-comes-empty/

Members of the Mineral County Sheriff’s Office were joined by a dog and handler in search of missing Nita Mayo on Dec. 2.

Contacted by Detective Phillip Halencak of the Tuolumne County Sheriff’s Office in California, it was requested by the Mayo family to search the Connelly Drive area of the Hawthorne Army Depot...

In searching the Connelly Drive area, no evidence of Mayo was found.

“She loved the wide open spaces. She would drive over to Yosemite or go over the pass to Tuolumne County. She’d take a picnic basket, and she was writing her life story,” Mayo said.

Very heartbreaking that she did not get to finish writing her story. I hope once she is found, her children can finish it for her.

Years have past...
What I think both ladies were there for..
They stopped to look out for the view and use the restroom in my opinion..

I never searched for both ladies. Only Nita Mayo.
What we found on the first search for Nita Mayo was interesting..
A pile of fresh dirt 500 foot or so into the forest that the search dogs hit on.
There was nothing in the pile of dirt.
This is a forest floor with Granite Rock and Large Pine Trees. There was no place for this pile of dirt to come from. It had to be brought there and dumped.

We did find a tree where a bear had been recently ripping bark off for goodies..

We did scale down through all possible spots a body could fall.

I did have a interesting fellow who came along after searchers had left for the day..
A green truck with tools such as shovel and broom. Also cleaning supplies..
Forestry employee .. The duty was to clean the bathrooms..

I was Looking for.. an accident victim or..
Means, Motive, Opportunity.. I found 2
I have no idea what would be the Motive..
A mind that is crazy is hard to understand.
And this is not an accusation. I would leave that up to the F.B.I. if they ever took notice..
jmho

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member