NV NV - Steven Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #22

LynnRn53

Reaction score
I have been on websleuths for quite a while they're not active until just a little while ago, for a few years now. I'm brand new to this forum. I discovered this fascinating and sad case when I came across a video by Arin Stoner, on YouTube, and now I have watched all of his videos, I believe. This seems to be a very good form and I appreciate the moderator bringing a lot of well researched information to it. I feel that the official investigation, if you want to come with that, was very poorly done.

Baddux

Reaction score
The whole story makes little sense. Here are 2 initial observations I have. Maybe someone can shed light on them:

1. Guy has a communication degree and is handing out flyers? Yeah the job market was bad back then, but doing that kind of work is a weak side hustle at best unless you are a drug addict or something and can't get an actual job. Plus, he was heavily involved in the church scene. I can't believe someone didn't know someone who could get him a bs job somewhere.

2. The whole "I'm having financial problems" doesn't jive with what this guy was doing. So you have no money and decide to blow money on gas driving >1000 miles around the desert? Say the car gets 30 mpg you are talking about 30-40 gallons of gas? That alone in 2009 was probably $100. Then he is out shopping? The items didn't sound high value but still. Plus being on the road he had to eat/drink. Not cheap to buy prepared stuff.

Laughing

Rarely Speechless
Reaction score
The whole story makes little sense. Here are 2 initial observations I have. Maybe someone can shed light on them:

1. Guy has a communication degree and is handing out flyers? Yeah the job market was bad back then, but doing that kind of work is a weak side hustle at best unless you are a drug addict or something and can't get an actual job. Plus, he was heavily involved in the church scene. I can't believe someone didn't know someone who could get him a bs job somewhere.

2. The whole "I'm having financial problems" doesn't jive with what this guy was doing. So you have no money and decide to blow money on gas driving >1000 miles around the desert? Say the car gets 30 mpg you are talking about 30-40 gallons of gas? That alone in 2009 was probably $100. Then he is out shopping? The items didn't sound high value but still. Plus being on the road he had to eat/drink. Not cheap to buy prepared stuff.

That's why it is suggested upthread, hypothetically, that Steven was talked into delivering pharmaceuticals for his landlord. Said landlord has had at least one major brush with law enforcement, per media.

The early threads include much solid sleuthing.

jmho ymmv lrr

Ignorant_Bystander

Reaction score

1. His bishop (or someone from church) supposedly promised him a job which would have started in January 2010. Not easy to get a job anytime even for those with university degree. maybe his interview skills were terrible. There could be several reasons he was having difficulty. Plus there was a recession at the time.

2. Stevens car was a hybrid, took less gas than normal. In addition he could have been given money from his landlord to pay for the gas. Whatever he was doing on those trips seems to be urgent though.. if he was promised the job in January, he would have been able to pay back his landlord in increments. my guess is that he was either forced to do it or be evicted, or told if he does it, he wouldn't have to pay the last 3 months rent. Also one receipt found showed he bought something cheap at Taco Time, so he probably was just eating junk food

Last edited:

Baddux

Reaction score
1. His bishop (or someone from church) supposedly promised him a job which would have started in January 2010. Not easy to get a job anytime even for those with university degree. maybe his interview skills were terrible. There could be several reasons he was having difficulty. Plus there was a recession at the time.

2. Stevens car was a hybrid, took less gas than normal. In addition he could have been given money from his landlord to pay for the gas. Whatever he was doing on those trips seems to be urgent though.. if he was promised the job in January, he would have been able to pay back his landlord in increments. my guess is that he was either forced to do it or be evicted, or told if he does it, he wouldn't have to pay the last 3 months rent. Also one receipt found showed he bought something cheap at Taco Time, so he probably was just eating junk food
Agreed that it was a tough time to get a job. I think he killed himself and has not been found. Travelling around was an attempt at producing a reason to live or a farewell tour.

Valiant

Reaction score

Steven's car was a Chevrolet Cavalier. it was not a hybrid, but was a smaller, more fuel efficient car than many others.

Glovey

Reaction score
As I investigated this case initially, I saw the trip to Wendover as a conduit to let off some steam after the LL called SK's father to let him know SK was behind in rent. It's claimed the LL got the father's number from the rental application. Upon reflection and further analysis, two behaviors during that trip pop up to me. One, SK tells the folks in Ruby Valley he is going to Sacramento Ca. after they inquire as to why he is there. He lied to them. This is a clue. Two, on his way back to St. George, SK has a conversation with his mother at which time he leaves out, or doesn't at all say where he's been. This is another clue.

IMHO, he was covering up, what to him, may be immoral behavior for an LDS counselor, not to mention possibly criminal. To me, this trip to Wendover is either a drop off or pickup of some kind. You see, its reported a plan to repay the LL was in the works. Another clue I see is, SK takes an early trip through, or to Overton NV. as his cell pings off an Overton tower on the 12th I believe. He returned the same day in the evening. I believe this trip through, or to Overton is to get instructions, and retrieve that which is to be delivered on the 13th in Henderson. He is then seen by a neighbor leaving St. George late on the 12th. He is last seen on video walking on Savannah Springs Dr. then turning on to Evening lights with what appears to be some kind of satchel under his arm.

Baddux

Reaction score
As I investigated this case initially, I saw the trip to Wendover as a conduit to let off some steam after the LL called SK's father to let him know SK was behind in rent. It's claimed the LL got the father's number from the rental application. Upon reflection and further analysis, two behaviors during that trip pop up to me. One, SK tells the folks in Ruby Valley he is going to Sacramento Ca. after they inquire as to why he is there. He lied to them. This is a clue. Two, on his way back to St. George, SK has a conversation with his mother at which time he leaves out, or doesn't at all say where he's been. This is another clue.

IMHO, he was covering up, what to him, may be immoral behavior for an LDS counselor, not to mention possibly criminal. To me, this trip to Wendover is either a drop off or pickup of some kind. You see, its reported a plan to repay the LL was in the works. Another clue I see is, SK takes an early trip through, or to Overton NV. as his cell pings off an Overton tower on the 12th I believe. He returned the same day in the evening. I believe this trip through, or to Overton is to get instructions, and retrieve that which is to be delivered on the 13th in Henderson. He is then seen by a neighbor leaving St. George late on the 12th. He is last seen on video walking on Savannah Springs Dr. then turning on to Evening lights with what appears to be some kind of satchel under his arm.
I hear you on this. I just have this hang up about this guy essentially "Breaking Bad," here. Either that or he was involved in something more nefarious than even being a drug mule for back rent.

Moonbeam456

Reaction score
After years of following and thinking about this case this is what I think happened: Steven was somehow connected with a mortgage broker (people have referred to her as a real estate agent in the past) for some type of work. She told him to meet her at place of business, which at the time was a house on Savannah Springs Ave. literally three houses down from where Steven parked. The camera that captured Steven walking down the street also captured her SUV arriving right after Steven did, however she was not thoroughly questioned or looked into because she is a well known and well established business person in the Las Vegas area. Look at the documents the Unfound podcast released a few years ago, barely a mention of this woman despite the fact she lived on the street (and merely feet) from where he was last seen walking, arrived shortly after Steven did and appeared to be the only person running a business on that street. Steven was looking for a job, he was walking with something that looked like a folder, maybe of his resume or past examples of his writing. Where would he be headed?? The house that was also a business to go on an interview or do some work. I have no idea what took place in that house or why but I do believe this is where Steven went the day he was last seen…

george14

Reaction score
After years of following and thinking about this case this is what I think happened: Steven was somehow connected with a mortgage broker (people have referred to her as a real estate agent in the past) for some type of work. She told him to meet her at place of business, which at the time was a house on Savannah Springs Ave. literally three houses down from where Steven parked. The camera that captured Steven walking down the street also captured her SUV arriving right after Steven did, however she was not thoroughly questioned or looked into because she is a well known and well established business person in the Las Vegas area. Look at the documents the Unfound podcast released a few years ago, barely a mention of this woman despite the fact she lived on the street (and merely feet) from where he was last seen walking, arrived shortly after Steven did and appeared to be the only person running a business on that street. Steven was looking for a job, he was walking with something that looked like a folder, maybe of his resume or past examples of his writing. Where would he be headed?? The house that was also a business to go on an interview or do some work. I have no idea what took place in that house or why but I do believe this is where Steven went the day he was last seen…
Wouldn’t the more likely explanation be that Steven met his fate at the hands of either his landlord or the gentleman at the address considering they both have criminal pasts? And the realtor just so happened to be driving in that area?

From what I have read, it seems like a no-brainer that Steven was probably delivering pills for his landlord and LE needs to find the connection between his landlord and the son of the couple that lived at the house. Neither have cooperated and both have very deep crimina records.

Moonbeam456

Reaction score
Wouldn’t the more likely explanation be that Steven met his fate at the hands of either his landlord or the gentleman at the address considering they both have criminal pasts? And the realtor just so happened to be driving in that area?

From what I have read, it seems like a no-brainer that Steven was probably delivering pills for his landlord and LE needs to find the connection between his landlord and the son of the couple that lived at the house. Neither have cooperated and both have very deep crimina records.

Moonbeam456

Reaction score
After all these years nothing has come from the more likely explanation, has it? Also, Steven has never officially been linked to the address or the man you are referring to, that was a theory from someone who was looking at the case, it's just a theory, just like mine. Personally I think Steven had much more of a reason to go into the that neighborhood to meet w/ the mortgage broker for some kind of work. I don't think he willingly would have been involved with illegal pill distribution.

Glovey

Reaction score

George, you are spot on regarding the connection possibility and the similarities in unlawful behavior. In addition, two witnesses put Steven at Savannah Springs. I'll disclose more soon.

Glovey

Reaction score
After all these years nothing has come from the more likely explanation, has it? Also, Steven has never officially been linked to the address or the man you are referring to, that was a theory from someone who was looking at the case, it's just a theory, just like mine. Personally I think Steven had much more of a reason to go into the that neighborhood to meet w/ the mortgage broker for some kind of work. I don't think he willingly would have been involved with illegal pill distribution.
One must follow the evidence. Maybe Steven was unaware of the legality of his actions or, the sender assured Steven it was lawful. It feels to me as though Steven was willing to try something/almost anything to stay afloat. Wrong place, wrong time. I'm sorry it happened.

fridaybaker

Reaction score
One must follow the evidence. Maybe Steven was unaware of the legality of his actions or, the sender assured Steven it was lawful. It feels to me as though Steven was willing to try something/almost anything to stay afloat. Wrong place, wrong time. I'm sorry it happened.
Regarding SK doing something “unlawful”: I think most folks who know him would say that (and, this is certainly my opinion only) he likely wouldn’t do something like delivering “recreational” drugs, etc. He wouldn’t be out delivering Fentanyl. Or crack.

However, something like legal drugs, sold as “unused, leftovers” or the like, that could help people who couldn’t afford a “new” prescription, might be within the realm of possibility for SK, who desperately wanted to be on his own -stand on his own two feet- rather than rely on help from his family. Make some extra cash to pay the rent while job hunting, and at the same time actually helping people. It might “technically” be illegal but SK, like many of us, would see it quite differently than robbing a bank, selling Fentanyl, stealing money from the neighbor kid’s lemonade stand, etc.

There’s illegal, and then there’s just plain wrong. Perhaps he was willing to short of “skirt the law” for a short time while desperate.

For me, at least, I think it fits fairly handily with his situation, and with WHO he knew at the time, namely the LL. MOO.