NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Twice tonight, I have written a rather long post here. I know I am logged in but when I hit the Post Quick Reply button, I find that I have been logged out somehow and I lose my post. I am not hitting the back button. Anybody know why this is happening? Thank You.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I thought it was SK's roommate who was involved in illegal activity, not the landlord.

Twice tonight, I have written a rather long post here. I know I am logged in but when I hit the Post Quick Reply button, I find that I have been logged out somehow and I lose my post. I am not hitting the back button. Anybody know why this is happening? Thank You.

You are being timed out. If you click the box to keep yourself logged in, you wont have that issue.

hth!

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I thought it was SK's roommate who was involved in illegal activity, not the landlord.

LL has also had trouble with the law. He was under federal indictment at the time SK went missing. The charges were dropped due to an over-reaching police search, amended, moved to state court, and he took a plea deal.

I’ve been following this case for along time, banging my head against the wall trying to come up with a logical reason for Steven’s disappearance and this is what I have finally decided (of course, I could be completely wrong).

Someone Steven knew set him up with a job opportunity. I believe this person was someone Steven either saw or spoke to on the phone on a regular basis so LE didn’t really think much of the phone calls between the two when they looked thru Steven’s cell phone log. The person who set him up with the job knew it involved some shady business but didn’t disclose that to Steven, they just told him it was a quick and easy way to make money. The job turned out to be much shadier than the person had thought and when Steven disappeared, the person didn’t want to come forward for fear of getting in trouble and exposing his/her involvement in any kind of shady business. I think this person was more of an associate of Steven’s, not a close friend, and were more concerned about covering for themselves than Steven’s whereabouts. I believe the reason this case hasn’t been solved is because LE didn’t do a thorough investigation of Steven’s associates and probably made the poor assumption that people highly involved in the religious circles would not be involved in his disappearance.

I think that is a very viable theory. It explains the "walking to an interview but never coming back," as well as the apparent lack of intensity with which law enforcement is treating Steven's vanishing.

There's one thing I've NEVER believed about this case: that there was absolutely no electronic/paper trail of Steven's plans. In this day and age, it is really, really hard to leave zero electronic evidence of your plans and whereabouts, especially if you're actively searching for a job!

In my opinion, whatever electronic trail that exists is very innocent-looking, which is why police (as far as we know) believe there is no trail.

I think that is a very viable theory. It explains the "walking to an interview but never coming back," as well as the apparent lack of intensity with which law enforcement is treating Steven's vanishing.

There's one thing I've NEVER believed about this case: that there was absolutely no electronic/paper trail of Steven's plans. In this day and age, it is really, really hard to leave zero electronic evidence of your plans and whereabouts, especially if you're actively searching for a job!

In my opinion, whatever electronic trail that exists is very innocent-looking, which is why police (as far as we know) believe there is no trail.

IIRC, everything that was found on Steven's personal computer was related to his search for employment. Though nothing, whatsoever, related to SCA.

We should also keep in mind that we really don't know why he was in SCA that day. We have speculated it was for a job interview, but there has never been any confirmation of that nor, really, any reason to believe that was the case.

I do agree there is an electronic trail - at least on his phone. It's just not immediately noticeable. ALL of the calls - incoming and outgoing - have been verified as having come from or going to someone Steven knew (with a couple of exceptions that aren't relevant).

I have always believed that if it could be determined why Steven was in SCA that day, the rest of the answers would come. But then, all his travels in the days before are always in the back of my mind. WTH was he doing?

I’ve been following this case for along time, banging my head against the wall trying to come up with a logical reason for Steven’s disappearance and this is what I have finally decided (of course, I could be completely wrong).

Someone Steven knew set him up with a job opportunity. I believe this person was someone Steven either saw or spoke to on the phone on a regular basis so LE didn’t really think much of the phone calls between the two when they looked thru Steven’s cell phone log. The person who set him up with the job knew it involved some shady business but didn’t disclose that to Steven, they just told him it was a quick and easy way to make money. The job turned out to be much shadier than the person had thought and when Steven disappeared, the person didn’t want to come forward for fear of getting in trouble and exposing his/her involvement in any kind of shady business. I think this person was more of an associate of Steven’s, not a close friend, and were more concerned about covering for themselves than Steven’s whereabouts. I believe the reason this case hasn’t been solved is because LE didn’t do a thorough investigation of Steven’s associates and probably made the poor assumption that people highly involved in the religious circles would not be involved in his disappearance.

Agree. Do you have any feelings as to who that person may be?

And given that SK was behind on the rent (right?), the LL had him "run a few errands" in part payment? o_O

ETA: and introduced him to a possible job offer in SCA?

And given that SK was behind on the rent (right?), the LL had him "run a few errands" in part payment? o_O

ETA: and introduced him to a possible job offer in SCA?

Seems reasonable. We have the LL's word that he was behind on rent and that is why LL was calling, right?

Seems reasonable. We have the LL's word that he was behind on rent and that is why LL was calling, right?

Has anyone ever heard what kind of work Steven was doing for the LL to help pay back rent? I can't find anything.

Agree. Do you have any feelings as to who that person may be?

Yes I do. I believe Steven's unexplained traveling in the days before his disappearance was also orchestrated by this person. Unfortunately, I think all the planning between this person and Steven was done over the phone or in person.

Has anyone ever heard what kind of work Steven was doing for the LL to help pay back rent? I can't find anything.

This is an idea that is gaining legs as fact, I think. We are all speculating, I believe, that Steven may have been doing something for LL to offset rent. IF he was actually in arrears to begin with.

Last I knew for sure, SK had done some scattering of window washing pamphlets for Travis in the days preceding his disappearance.

I don't think there is anything concrete, just that it seems to be a logical conclusion. I'll have to go back to the earlier posts (apparently) made by the LL's wife.

Ok, having gone back and checked I am reminded that the LL's wife posted as "stillLooking" and only posted a total of 24 times. I know I am a complete pushover but she sounds really lovely and caring, and worried about SK.

Here she writes:

(DH wasn't planning on evicting Steven but with Christmas and around the corner and having to make our rent payment (where we are now living) and our house payment along with both sets of utilities (because JZ had bailed and Steven was behind neither had paid their share of utilities) we were falling behind on the bills. DH decided to give Steven's parents a call, which Steven did not know about, to see if Steven had ask for help with money. I am sure it upset Steven to know DH had called his mom and told her he was behind on rent.

Next, here she talks about her DH's (ie, the LL's) feelings of guilt over it all:
I just talked to DH again. He feels horrible about the whole thing and said he feels guilty like maybe somehow it is his fault if it ends up that Steve left because of the bill situation. When I made the post in the last thread I was remembering a different convo DH had talked about having with Steve's mom.

And finally here, she mentions how her DH was working with SK to figure out how to pay the overdue rent and utilities - which really, is what any sane LL would do - I can't bring myself to think of it as shady, rather, being a good LL:
That's DH, he was trying to work with Steve and Steve had paid a little bit, he had been paying some part of the utilites to help keep them on. And making promises and plans to catch up the rent.

Anyhoo, I am a complete pushover for a nice story and would make a terrible detective. The posts by stillLooking sound fine to me; whether her DH was up to something more sinister I can't say.

There's a poster on WS whose sig says something like "suspicious minds solve crimes, not being nice". :( Guess I can't (in this case) see the suspicion, but I guess there are many people who don't know what their other half is up to ("but he seemed like such a nice guy...")

Ok, having gone back and checked I am reminded that the LL's wife posted as "stillLooking" and only posted a total of 24 times. I know I am a complete pushover but she sounds really lovely and caring, and worried about SK.

Here she writes:

Next, here she talks about her DH's (ie, the LL's) feelings of guilt over it all:

And finally here, she mentions how her DH was working with SK to figure out how to pay the overdue rent and utilities - which really, is what any sane LL would do - I can't bring myself to think of it as shady, rather, being a good LL:

Anyhoo, I am a complete pushover for a nice story and would make a terrible detective. The posts by stillLooking sound fine to me; whether her DH was up to something more sinister I can't say.

There's a poster on WS whose sig says something like "suspicious minds solve crimes, not being nice". :( Guess I can't (in this case) see the suspicion, but I guess there are many people who don't know what their other half is up to ("but he seemed like such a nice guy...")

It's entirely possible she was unaware of any "arrangements" her husband may have had with Steven and simply believed whatever he told her.

LL called Steven's parents shortly before he went missing to tell them he was behind with the rent. That's so weird to me! We're talking about a 30-year-old man. Whose landlord calls a tenant's parents to, essentially, tattle?

That, and the the fact that there were numerous calls from LL to Steven AFTER it had supposedly been settled. Why continue calling? And calling, and calling.....?

Here she writes:

She is still posting on another forum for Steven as of yesterday. She does seem very sincere and has provided very detailed info regarding what she and her husband knew about Steven while he was living in St. George. After reading her posts I have a hard time believing she is hiding anything, she really seems to want answers just like everyone else, but as Fairy mentioned above, she may have not been aware that her husband and Steven has some kind of deal worked out. I also agree with Fairy about the calling Steven’s parents and the numerous calls to Steven, seems strange to me. I understand he wanted money from Steven but what exactly was the point of calling him that many times?

It's entirely possible she was unaware of any "arrangements" her husband may have had with Steven and simply believed whatever he told her.

She is still posting on another forum for Steven as of yesterday. She does seem very sincere and has provided very detailed info regarding what she and her husband knew about Steven while he was living in St. George.

Thanks you guys - I am quite prepared to believe the LL has other motives, but stillLooking seems such a nice person it's hard to imagine her involved. But yes, indeed, all those other phone calls are weird. Um, any ideas how we can find out more about LL?

LL called Steven's parents shortly before he went missing to tell them he was behind with the rent. That's so weird to me! We're talking about a 30-year-old man. Whose landlord calls a tenant's parents to, essentially, tattle?

I was under the impression that SK's parents were listed as his "next of kin" or contact people in case of emergency - so in that way I guess if you phrase it as "your son hasn't paid rent and I'm worried about him and do you know if anything is going on?" it would make sense. Not trying to excuse LL but I would call the contact person listed if my tenant were falling further and further behind.

It still leaves all the other phone calls, though.

Thanks you guys - I am quite prepared to believe the LL has other motives, but stillLooking seems such a nice person it's hard to imagine her involved. But yes, indeed, all those other phone calls are weird. Um, any ideas how we can find out more about LL?

Oh I'm sure you can think of some ideas! ;) I can't recall if he was ever named in MSM but, in any case, he's never been named a POI or suspect. Of course, that would likely be due to the fact that LE has never really investigated the case from a possible foul play POV.

I do believe the clues are right there in front of them, but we can't force LE to dig deeper. Meanwhile, it's been over two years and the clock just keeps on ticking. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay