NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought there would atleast be an announcement on the presser tomorrow on one of the news channels. Did anyone on here that lives in the LV area try to catch anything on the news? How is anyone going to know it's going on? Strange. Maybe no one got the news but us.....that's stranger yet!

As someone who has been on both the writing and receiving end of media advisories, I wouldn't expect the papers/stations to run anything yet. Don't be discouraged until AFTER the press conference. The advisory is what is sent to news outlets by agencies/PR firms to pique their interest and get them to cover it.

Edited to add: Yeah, they totally would advance it for a huge case like Susan Powell or Laci Peterson, etc. Anything editors thought might make folks "tune in tomorrow." But for all the media advisories sent to a newsroom, I'd say it only happens for 1 in every 50 or more.

I'm personally excited to see the coverage that comes out of it. Even though I haven't been a prolific commenter, I've been following this case on a daily basis. Read every post, and am just as stymied as I was at the beginning. I desperately want resolution for this case -- for Steven's families and friends (and I guess for Laytonian, who I'm pretty sure doesn't sleep, ever! Great, great work. You're my hero!)

Yes, I read the story , I was looking for a story on Steven. If there was going to be a story on this presser to-morrow don't you think it would have made, the papers to-day.? I have not checked Deseret news yet. It is sad that Susan is missing , but Sreven just isn't getting the coverage , is he?

LOL at the geriatric patrol.

I guess they're not going to publish a story announcing the press conference, I guess (although they WOULD for the Powell case!)

Just hope they stream it online.

I'm excited about this PC tomorrow - though I'm afraid I cannot be there. I hope one of the things they straighten out is what SK was wearing in that last sighting. And here's why it's important...to me:

When trying to determine if anyone saw Steven after noon on 12/13, we have to be able to ask, did you see a nice looking fellow in a pair of slacks and a white, button-down shirt who appeared to be en route to an appointment? Or did you see a possible car thief in a hoodie and a baggy pair of jeans who appeared to be ditching a stolen car?

It's important. IMO

I'm excited about this PC tomorrow - though I'm afraid I cannot be there. I hope one of the things they straighten out is what SK was wearing in that last sighting. And here's why it's important...to me:

When trying to determine if anyone saw Steven after noon on 12/13, we have to be able to ask, did you see a nice looking fellow in a pair of slacks and a white, button-down shirt who appeared to be en route to an appointment? Or did you see a possible car thief in a hoodie and a baggy pair of jeans who appeared to be ditching a stolen car?

It's important. IMO

Hey. I wear jeans and hoodies, myself. Some of us are from cold climates ;)

Take a look at 12:00:09 fullscreen for a few seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abSZetr42Gc]CAM 3

It looks like a jacket/zip-sweat sweat/hoodie .... with a lighter-colored shirt or t-shirt hanging out a bit at the waistline. Definitely not tucked-in. You can tell, especially, by how the arm looks "padded".

It's appropriate for the weather that day.

Hey. I wear jeans and hoodies, myself. Some of us are from cold climates ;)

Take a look at 12:00:09 fullscreen for a few seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abSZetr42Gc]CAM 3

It looks like a jacket/zip-sweat sweat/hoodie .... with a lighter-colored shirt or t-shirt hanging out a bit at the waistline. Definitely not tucked-in. You can tell, especially, by how the arm looks "padded".

It's appropriate for the weather that day.

Nope - I just don't see it. I'm sorry. But if that's the "official" description, why doesn't it say so on the flyer?

And just my :twocents: - but I doubt Steven would have needed a jacket in Henderson/Vegas that day.

Hello all! First time poster, but have read all previous posts. I fear that this is one of those cases where reality is going to be stranger than fiction, however I hope not.

Has LE been informed of the Evening Lights’ homeowner and his/her direct connection to Sacramento?

Just an idea, however Elizabeth Smarts father has been actively involved in other missing person’s cases. It may be beneficial for one of Steven’s family members to contact him for any assistance he may be able to provide, or access to resources.

I don’t know how cooperative Sun City Anthem would be in regard to posting missing person posters. It may draw attention that they do not want. I don’t know how to say it, but companies can be funny in this way. Yet, Sun City Anthem, I believe, has a recreational area, and a very nice club house/community center. Maybe they would allow some missing person posters to be placed there.

The scent hounds not finding evidence of Steven being in the area of his car is really strange indeed. I hate to say this, but could cadaver dogs possibly be used in the search? I may be naïve, but I believe these two types of dogs are trained differently.

Some of my own thoughts…..regarding surveillance tapes: It’s possible that most of the neighbors were aware of the surveillance cameras at the retired US Marshall’s residence. If so, a resident in the area would be aware that Steven could possibly be on these surveillance tapes. I say this, because in my old neighborhood, 215 & Decatur, our neighbor on our cul-de-sac had surveillance cameras attached to his home. Lord knows why, but it disturbed the neighbors. The HOA was aware of the surveillance cameras, as well as Metro. We had complained, because it was a safe, gated community, and the surveillance cameras didn’t seem needed. We felt it was a violation of our privacy, and were concerned for the safety of our children. Yet nothing could be done about it.

In this case, thank goodness this retired US Marshall did have security cameras.

This case needs to be publicized more indeed. I don’t usually get the chance to read our newspaper, and I was unaware of Steven missing until yesterday when I happen to catch it online by mistake.

What did the real estate agent, who was driving the white SUV in the surveillance tapes, say in regard to seeing Steven?

I do find it difficult to fathom that none of the neighbors saw anything. Sun City Anthem is a retirement community, and in the middle of the afternoon folks would be walking dogs, taking strolls, going in and out running errands, and/or working in their gardens or garages. I just don’t get that nobody saw anything. Yet, thinking about the retired folks in my own neighborhood….I rarely see them outside, and they keep to themselves.

Sorry for the long post. I’ll step back, and watch all the experienced folks work their magic.

:Welcome-12-june: Sin City!!!

Please don't fade away - stay with us and tell us what your thoughts are!!!

I haven't done any research to check the weather on the afternoon of Steven's disappearance, yet I can see the shadows of trees moving in the video. There could have been one of those cool winds on this day, and this may have caused him to be wearing a jacket.

I do not see the hoodie either. The hoods are usually bulky around the back and neck, and I'm not seeing this on the video.

I think we'd all agree....no hoodie for a job interview. And, tennis shoes for a job interview are a no no also. So, Steven was probably there for something more casual.

For those of you attending the presser there is a new parking garage near city hall, so access is much easier than in the past. Also, Nevada Power is no longer open on Water St, so this eases up traffic.

Welcome Sin City!

And I had a thought last night. I know we have thought before that it seems so hard for him to cross the Border to Mexico without tracking it, but what if he was going somewhere say like Brazil? Isn't that where he served his mission?

I still think Depression is the driving factor here, but with that Passport missing... and he carrying that packet of papers... Keeps me thinking..

Hello all! First time poster, but have read all previous posts. I fear that this is one of those cases where reality is going to be stranger than fiction, however I hope not.

Has LE been informed of the Evening Lights’ homeowner and his/her direct connection to Sacramento?

Just an idea, however Elizabeth Smarts father has been actively involved in other missing person’s cases. It may be beneficial for one of Steven’s family members to contact him for any assistance he may be able to provide, or access to resources.

I don’t know how cooperative Sun City Anthem would be in regard to posting missing person posters. It may draw attention that they do not want. I don’t know how to say it, but companies can be funny in this way. Yet, Sun City Anthem, I believe, has a recreational area, and a very nice club house/community center. Maybe they would allow some missing person posters to be placed there.

The scent hounds not finding evidence of Steven being in the area of his car is really strange indeed. I hate to say this, but could cadaver dogs possibly be used in the search? I may be naïve, but I believe these two types of dogs are trained differently.

Some of my own thoughts…..regarding surveillance tapes: It’s possible that most of the neighbors were aware of the surveillance cameras at the retired US Marshall’s residence. If so, a resident in the area would be aware that Steven could possibly be on these surveillance tapes. I say this, because in my old neighborhood, 215 & Decatur, our neighbor on our cul-de-sac had surveillance cameras attached to his home. Lord knows why, but it disturbed the neighbors. The HOA was aware of the surveillance cameras, as well as Metro. We had complained, because it was a safe, gated community, and the surveillance cameras didn’t seem needed. We felt it was a violation of our privacy, and were concerned for the safety of our children. Yet nothing could be done about it.

In this case, thank goodness this retired US Marshall did have security cameras.

This case needs to be publicized more indeed. I don’t usually get the chance to read our newspaper, and I was unaware of Steven missing until yesterday when I happen to catch it online by mistake.

What did the real estate agent, who was driving the white SUV in the surveillance tapes, say in regard to seeing Steven?

I do find it difficult to fathom that none of the neighbors saw anything. Sun City Anthem is a retirement community, and in the middle of the afternoon folks would be walking dogs, taking strolls, going in and out running errands, and/or working in their gardens or garages. I just don’t get that nobody saw anything. Yet, thinking about the retired folks in my own neighborhood….I rarely see them outside, and they keep to themselves.

Sorry for the long post. I’ll step back, and watch all the experienced folks work their magic.
Have I missed something ? I don't remember someone on EL having a connection to Sacramento. Considering Steven mentioned Sacramento, I would think I would remember that. What connection Sincity?

Morning all! I am going to the presser after all. I'll take notes & will report back as soon as I can.

Hoping for some answers today!!!

(Hi bigtexastom!)

Thanks. My bad -- I looked and missed it.

Probably not an important point, but I'm wondering whether he had at some point played golf at that course and knew there were convenient places to park all around it. I noticed also that his home in St. George is less than half a mile from a golf course.

You know what I just found -- and it's right on the timeline? A google search bar. You can enter any word, and it shows every time that word appears in ANY of the timeline pages. I found that last night. I thought it searched all of Google. MY bad ;)

I was going to put up some smart-a comment about "hey, we already asked that, silly-head"....but decided that'd be uncool. I hope the link itself didn't seem curt.

Morning all! I am going to the presser after all. I'll take notes & will report back as soon as I can.

Hoping for some answers today!!!

(Hi bigtexastom!)

Cool! Don't want you and fasteddy4 fighting, now. Maybe y'all should have taken advantage of that discount on the WS t-shirts ;)

Welcome Sin City!

And I had a thought last night. I know we have thought before that it seems so hard for him to cross the Border to Mexico without tracking it, but what if he was going somewhere say like Brazil? Isn't that where he served his mission?

I still think Depression is the driving factor here, but with that Passport missing... and he carrying that packet of papers... Keeps me thinking..

If his passport was scanned anywhere, there'd be evidence....AND....I guess we'll find out if it's been used, today.

On the links provided, I could not find any live stream video of the press conference.

The newspapers seem to be full of massive NV budget shortfall, Nascar in town, and no mention of the press conference. Waiting to hear..

Welcome!

Steven (apparently) mentioned "on my way to Sacramento" and something about visiting some, when he went to Ruby Valley...but he didn't go there. Friends and family have determined he had no friends or relatives there.

I kinda think it's the answer he gave, when the N family asked "So, Steven, what brings you here to Ruby Valley?"
JMO, of course. But as we got more "nails" into the timeline, it looks like he actually went there on purpose....or someonewhere else very near.

Just an idea, however Elizabeth Smarts father has been actively involved in other missing person’s cases.

JMO, but the only thing most us here have noticed, is that Ed Smart is good at getting his face in front of a camera. NOW....that's good if you need publicity for your case, because Ed will bring attention and has contacts. BUT, in years of watching him, I've never seen him "help" on a male or family missing persons case.

The family placed some on the mailboxes. If it hasn't rained, they're still there. The good thing about putting them there, is that once installed, the mailbox is considered USPS property....and the HOA really can't mess with it. Of course, the letter carrier could remove a poster -- but the family established good rapport there.

Scene dogs only traced Chandra Levy about 100 feet out of her apartment building door...and various search dogs were used in Rock Hill Park.

Some of my own thoughts…..regarding surveillance tapes: It’s possible that most of the neighbors were aware of the surveillance cameras at the retired US Marshall’s residence.
(GENTLE SNIP)The HOA was aware of the surveillance cameras, as well as Metro. We had complained, because it was a safe, gated community, and the surveillance cameras didn’t seem needed. We felt it was a violation of our privacy, and were concerned for the safety of our children. Yet nothing could be done about it.

'cept gates don't really keep much out...and they leak. In 2003, my parents moved to a gated community in Houston and bought a Cadillac CTS. He left the car outside overnight for some reason, and came out the next morning to find it up on blocks. Someone had stolen the wheels.

Even a fake camera is a deterrent. One relative said the crime rate went down in their neighborhood, after the first house in the cul de sac bought a security company sign at a yard sale ;)

As far as we know, he didn't see anything. (But how many people really pay attention to people walking on the street, as you drive by....especially if you're parking at the etime?) It'd be nice if he'd have seen Steven and described his clothing ;)

I think you've got it: people kinda keep to themselves, and don't spend much time outside.
As I look at the houses in SCA, I see garages and casitas taking up most of the front yards....with the backyards planned for leisure activities.
Plus, this was noon on Sunday, when the church people are probably just getting home...and others are reading the paper and drinking coffee.

According to weatherunderground.com, the high temp on Dec 13th was 48 in Sun City Anthem. That might have been a bit cool for outside activities, and there'd have been no reason to pick up the mail.

Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member