Identified! NV - Washoe Co., WhtFem 156UFNV, 25-35, Sheep's Flat Trail, Jul'82 - Mary Edith Silvani

I'm thinking she might be a serviceman's wife or girlfriend, or possibly daughter. Tahoe is only a couple of hours from several bases.

Very possible... All thou there is much debate on the origin of her dental work, she could have been in a family that were stationed overseas during sometime in her life or had a husband or boyfriend that was in the military. Even considered the possibility of her being an exchange or college student that traveled abroad sometime in her younger years.

I'm thinking she might be a serviceman's wife or girlfriend, or possibly daughter. Tahoe is only a couple of hours from several bases.
Apparently they have DNA possibly from the killer. Don't soldiers have to give their DNA?

It seems far fetched. People probably come from all over the country to hike in this area.

Her teeth were in terrible shape. Seems like if her husband were in the military she would have better access to care.

Apparently they have DNA possibly from the killer. Don't soldiers have to give their DNA?

It seems far fetched. People probably come from all over the country to hike in this area.

Not in 1982 they didn't. And I had missed that about DNA from the killer. Do you have a pointer?

Yes, she certainly could be from anywhere and yes, it's a very popular area. It's just my own personal speculation.

Not in 1982 they didn't. And I had missed that about DNA from the killer. Do you have a pointer?

Yes, she certainly could be from anywhere and yes, it's a very popular area. It's just my own personal speculation.
True. Should have thought about that! Pretty sure it was someone she knew, regardless.

I think she knew him, possibly a boyfriend or someone close. The killer was possibly angry with her and in a moment of rage pulled out his gun and shot her. He didn't want to see the damage he had done so he put clothing on her head to cover it and then walked back to his vehicle and drove off. If he planned to kill her I think he might have been more meticulous.

Thanks. You know, I've read that article at least three times, and didn't catch that little bit of information?

I think I'm getting old...
I'm not sure how reliable that information is. The article says she was shot in the back and sexually assaulted, but other articles and pages say that she was shot in the head and didn't mention sexual assault.

I'm not sure how reliable that information is. The article says she was shot in the back and sexually assaulted, but other articles and pages say that she was shot in the head and didn't mention sexual assault.

I didn't see it mentioned in the sheriff's press release that the article links to. So I think that stays in the "maybe" column for now.

Its an exceptionally great news.... hope we hear about a press release next.

Created a list of updates just to keep up with progress, with no ill intent of being bothersome by any means. These DDP cases just get so exciting can't wait to see what comes up next ...:)

You are never bothersome Folie.

:Bumping: We had some excellent discussions this week, hope we hear of new details very soon .. Not looking for a meal to be serve .. only want a Doe to be identified and have her rightful name back. Just like Kyle ...I do not need to know a name as long as you make it home young lady and to your family:)

:Bumping: We had some excellent discussions this week, hope we hear of new details very soon .. Not looking for a meal to be serve .. only want a Doe to be identified and have her rightful name back. Just like Kyle ...I do not need to know a name as long as you make it home young lady and to your family:)

If she is identified her name will definitely be released because she is a murder victim rather than a suicide. LE would release her name so people who knew her back in the day could provide information as to who may have killed her.

If she is identified her name will definitely be released because she is a murder victim rather than a suicide. LE would release her name so people who knew her back in the day could provide information as to who may have killed her.

It's possible that her family might have information (or knew of Jane Doe's friends) about her boyfriend or partner at the time & therefore LE wouldn't even need the public's help finding her killer... LE may question the likely perp without the public knowing her name.

Last edited:
Great Article on Margaret Press

Finding Jane Doe's real name: Local DNA sleuth is on the case

When Margaret Press moved to Sebastopol after careers in computer programming, speech and language consulting and novel writing, she didn’t expect to start a groundbreaking DNA identification organization.

“I didn’t know this was what retirement was going to be like,” Press said. “I thought I would just be able to do more writing.”

Throughout her many careers, Press, who is 71, has always had an itch for true crime tales and mystery cases.

She began digging into DNA genealogy around 2007. Press aided friends and acquaintances in searching for their biological families and helped adoptees find their biological parents.

After retiring from computer programming in 2015, Press moved from Salem, Mass., to live near family in Sebastopol. It was after reading a Sue Grafton novel about a “Jane Doe” character that Press started researching about the thousands of unidentified people cases in the United States. These unsolved cases with no history, no clues and no identification were the ones that led Press to a life-changing idea.

A third case has been solved, but Press said she couldn’t reveal the name of the “Jane or John Doe” just yet. The case will be announced in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
DDP Updates ---
4/23 - SFJD DDP Takes on another Jane Doe case
5/16 - SFJD sequencing completed on the way to the bioinformatics team
5/23 - SFJD DNA results received, uploaded to GEDMatch
5/25 - SFJD DDP received good matches for Sheep Flat Jane Doe and are optimistic they will identify her. At least one of her GP was from Italy or Italian descent; SFJD Mitochondrial Haplogroup H16a1
6/5 - SFJD DDP, Update requested -> Margaret Press - We've got some great leads and all working hard on this case
6/9 - SFJD DDP, Narrowing down family, sometimes the last mile is the longest
6/9 - SFJD DDP, Fairly certain SFJD was born and raised in the US, we do not know whether she traveled or lived abroad at some point.

SFJD.JPG

DDP Updates ---
4/23 - SFJD DDP Takes on another Jane Doe case
5/16 - SFJD sequencing completed on the way to the bioinformatics team
5/23 - SFJD DNA results received, uploaded to GEDMatch
5/25 - SFJD DDP received good matches for Sheep Flat Jane Doe and are optimistic they will identify her. At least one of her GP was from Italy or Italian descent; SFJD Mitochondrial Haplogroup H16a1
6/5 - SFJD DDP, Update requested -> Margaret Press - We've got some great leads and all working hard on this case
6/9 - SFJD DDP, Narrowing down family, sometimes the last mile is the longest
6/9 - SFJD DDP, Fairly certain SFJD was born and raised in the US, we do not know whether she traveled or lived abroad at some point.

View attachment 136425

Oh Folie...you are sooo bothersome.....grinzzzz thanks sweetie and a hug.

Wow! So it looks like either Belle in the Well or most likely Sheep Flat Jane Doe have been identified, according to that article! Let's not bother them about this though, please, it will come out soon.

I wonder when the reporter actually talked to Margaret Press... was it days ago or even weeks?

Given that it might take weeks for the identity to be released I wonder if LE is trying to do some homicide investigation first.

Last edited:
Wow! So it looks like either Belle in the Well or most likely Sheep Flat Jane Doe have been identified!

I wonder when the reporter actually talked to Margaret Press... was it days ago or even weeks?

Given that it might take weeks for the identity to be released I wonder if LE is trying to do some homicide investigation first.

There are a few cases DDP is working could be any of them all thou we do hope it is Belle or Sheep Flat. We will have to wait and see..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back