NY - 10 dead, 3 critical after mass shooting at a Buffalo supermarket, 14 May 2022 *Guilty*

Good. BTW, at first glance I thought this was PG's sentence, and was appalled at its lightness. Although if the 11 years was for each victim I would be OK with that.

The 19-year-old white gunman who killed 10 Black people at a Buffalo grocery last year was sentenced Wednesday to life in prison without the possibility of parole during an emotional hearing that was briefly interrupted after a man charged toward him.

Justice Department intends to seek the death penalty for Payton Gendron, who shot and killed ten black people at a Buffalo supermarket, according to a new court filing.

That seems so odd to me. The DOJ seeking a death sentence when the president (whom the AG agrees with) has vowed to end capital punishment.

Better he remains in prison on Death Row vs to be considered for release.
Then just seek LWOP. Seeking a death sentence vastly increases the complexity of the prosecution and costs, all the time knowing you never will seek to actually carry it out. How is that not an abuse of process and or prosecutorial misconduct?

Then just seek LWOP. Seeking a death sentence vastly increases the complexity of the prosecution and costs, all the time knowing you never will seek to actually carry it out. How is that not an abuse of process and or prosecutorial misconduct?

He already has LWOP on the state charges.

Merrick Garland is taking a mixed view on the death penalty (according to this NY Times article).
This is the first case that he has personally endorsed in his current term.

But the older death penalty cases he is not commuting seem to be the terror actions of people who mass murder. (eg: Robert Bowers, who murdered 11 worshipers in their Pittsburgh synagogue in 2018)

This Buffalo murderer is an avowed white supremist who, I think, committed an act of racially motivated terrorism and mass murder.

FWIW .. half of these victims families are okay with LWOP, the other half want the absolute maximum penalty.

Great question.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan