NY - 10 dead, 3 critical after mass shooting at a Buffalo supermarket, 14 May 2022 *Guilty*

My sympathies go out to all affected by this tragedy.

I am as outraged as others here about the actions of this cold-hearted, racist murderer. He is over 18 and was over 18 last year in June (June 3rd is his birthday, I believe). His parents are not accountable for his actions as he is an adult. He planned this online with many others seeing his words week after week. He is capable of recognizing the consequences of his actions. He alone will bear the burden of this heinous crime. Unlike the school shooter in MI who is a minor, this murderer can not be controlled by his parents or anyone else if he is of sound mind and is an adult. The system failed him and us. He knew enough to get himself out of the mental health facility in a day and half.

I can't get that he targeted this place, cased the place, spoke with people and went back to annihilate as many as he could out of my mind. It is a new level of inhumanity. His mug shot looks like he has tears in his eyes......I don't believe they are tears for his victims--- maybe he is upset that he could not kill himself or that the cops didn't kill him. I just can't see that he had any feelings for any of these people once he was arrested.

Once again, we have work to do as a country because the rhetoric he spewed is on the news and spoken about as a viable way to see society in many areas of our country. It is time to make people accountable for what they say and write. As abhorrent as his thoughts are to me, his lengthy manifesto is certainly supported by some in this country. We need to address this terror threat immediately. Of course, this is JMHO.
I agree, he was 100% aware of what he was doing and the consequences of his actions. His parents raised him but he's an adult. Unless they had knowledge of his plan and didn't report it, they shouldn't be held liable IMO. Imagine what it must be like to raise a murderer or rapist or terrorist. I don't think anyone looks at their child and thinks "You'll make a great mass murderer some day!" My opinion only, of course.

In my opinion, "Twitch, the livestreaming platform" needs to make some type of change such as a delay before a livestreaming can be broadcast (or at least halt one that has just begun).

I know that defeats the purpose of "livestreaming" but if there could be some type of algorithim configured to identify something at the very beginning - could this possibly have halted the video?

I am no expert in algorithms - but I know some of you are.

There has to be a way to identify and even halt one of these disturbing and hateful and evil videos -seconds from the start of it playing?

Could something like this be put in place to at least halt the continuing of a livestream of a violent and hateful act? What if an algorithm would react to the audio of gunshots or something similar (screams?) ?

JMO
I'm sure there is. They could program it to detect sounds of shooting and then cut it off until further review. However, this would human eyes to evaluate and they probably don't want to spend the budget on that. Moreover, this type of Livestream gets plenty of clicks and views.

He uses almost 100 pages to describe his guns, body armor, gear and clothing choices in minute detail.
This fetishizing of personal armaments is everywhere in our society. How movies have seen of the hero suddenly grabbing a gun, close-up of the gun and a determined look on his face. This time it's personal. Let's face it, infatuation with guns is everywhere.

@AaronKatersky

Had he not been stopped, Payton Gendron would have driven out of the Tops parking lot and continued down Jefferson Avenue looking for more black people to kill, Buffalo Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia told @ABC

He had plans to continue driving down Jefferson Ave to shoot more black people...possibly go to another store/location,” commissioner said

"We have uncovered information that if he escaped the supermarket he had plans to continue his attack,” the commissioner said

The suspect arrested following the deadly attack on a predominantly Black neighbourhood on Saturday in Buffalo conducted a “reconnaissance” a day before the shooting, according to police.

Payton Gendron visited the Tops Friendly Market on Friday in Buffalo to check out the area, said Buffalo Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia on Sunday. “It seems that he had come here to scope out the area, to do a little reconnaissance work on the area before he carried out his just evil, sickening act,” said Mr Gramaglia.

The manager of the supermarket, Shonnell Teague, followed by saying on Sunday that Gendron allegedly came “acting like he was homeless”, in an apparent disguise.

“He really was checking out the store,” she told The New York Daily News: “He was acting like he was homeless and needed change”.

Last edited:

This article also states the killer legally bought the gun himself and illegally modified it.

"As a student last June at Susquehanna Valley Central High School, he made a “generalized threat” that was not racially motivated, Gramaglia said. The student was brought in for a mental health evaluation and released after a day and a half, he said."

ETA: Edited to clarify it appears from the story that he legally purchased the gun.

Last edited:
What about the guns, who were they registered to. And who helped him buy the body armor.
Those are interesting questions.

The perpetrator had two rifles. One has been confirmed as being registered to the shooter. But... this weapon was a Bushmaster AR15 clone.

The expired patent behind the M16 design has given rise to an enormous number of clones. Of these, Bushmasters are.....

Yikes, I need to modify my post in regards to the cost implications of the Bushmaster brand. I was thinking of the Daniels Defense brand in regards to higher manufacturing standards and higher costs. Some (or many) Bushmaster models are in fact, inexpensive.

Then, there is the question of the second rifle. I have not seen any reports as to the purchaser, type, or a brand name which could suggest cost. The question of cost can probably also be applied to body armor. For example, I would not be surprised if law enforcement grade armor is considerably more expensive than the mere say, "acceptable" grade.

Last edited:
This article also states the killer bought the gun himself and illegally modified it.
Illegal modifications could raise the question if others in the household were aware that he was purchasing weapons. I am thinking that there could be two general types of illegal modifications:

- A. Installing a "bump stock" (uses the recoil of the weapon increase firing rate to the point where, under ideal circumstances, it can be confused as being fully automatic.)

- B. Modifying certain internal components to allow the weapon to be fired fully automatic.

Possible modification "B" could require the use of a work bench, tools and quite probably some expertise / tinkering. This is especially so if it was not a matter of installing an illegally purchased part, but involved modifying an existing part to a new configuration.

Last edited:
I know nothing about the price or guns, ammo or body armor. According to articles, this guy worked part time at a deli for a few months making sandwiches. I suspect that wouldn't be much above minimum wage. The money trail will be interesting, imo.

Illegal modifications could raise the question if others in the household were aware that he was purchasing weapons.

I am thinking that there could be two general types of illegal modifications:

- A. Installing a "bump stock" (uses the recoil of the weapon increase firing rate to the point where it can be confused as being fully automatic.

- B. Modifying certain internal components to allow the weapon to be fired fully automatic.

Possible modification "B" could require the use of a work bench, tools and quite probably some expertise / tinkering. This is especially so if it was not a matter of installing an illegally purchased part, but involved modifying an existing part to a certain configuration.
We certainly don't know if anyone else in the killer's family were aware of his activities. Kids that age can be good at hiding things from their parents, as most of us know.

Still I sometimes think back on reading that one of the Columbine killers wrote of how they spent a weekend in the family garage smashing up large panes of glass to make shrapnel as they built bombs. How did no one ask them or look into what they were doing?

JMO.

Last edited:
Yikes, I need to modify my post in regards to the cost implications of the Bushmaster brand. I was thinking of the Daniels Defense brand in regards to higher manufacturing standards and higher costs. Some (or many) Bushmaster models are in fact, inexpensive.

Illegal modifications could raise the question if others in the household were aware that he was purchasing weapons. I am thinking that there could be two general types of illegal modifications:

- A. Installing a "bump stock" (uses the recoil of the weapon increase firing rate to the point where, under ideal circumstances, it can be confused as being fully automatic.)

Possible modification "B" could require the use of a work bench, tools and quite probably some expertise / tinkering. This is especially so if it was not a matter of installing an illegally purchased part, but involved modifying an existing part to a new configuration.
Considering this was in New York, the illegal modifications might have been something as simple as installing an adjustable stock or second handgrip, which are standard features in most states but illegal under state law.
I think if the rifle had been modified for automatic fire or had a bump stock installed, that would have been reported by now.

The gun shop where PG bought the firearm said that the background check didn’t come back with any red flags, so PG legally purchased the gun.

Also – the firearm was modified to make it more lethal, per the MSM article posted below.

Gendron reportedly modified the firearm to make it more lethal. Donald said the weapon was legally compliant when sold.

“Even with all of those safety features on it — which is the only way I sell it — any gun can be easily modified if you really want to do it,” the gun shop owner said.

NY gun shop owner who sold firearm to Payton Gendron feels ‘terrible’

The shop’s background check on Gendron had not turned up any red flags, Donald said.

“He didn’t stand out,” he said of the teen. “Because if he did, I would’ve never sold him the gun.

“I don’t understand why an 18-year-old would even do this,” Donald said. “I know I didn’t do anything wrong, but I feel terrible about it.”

Donald said he rarely sells the type of assault rifle sought by Gendron and instead specializes in vintage pistols.

BBM

Considering this was in New York, the illegal modifications might have been something as simple as installing an adjustable stock or second handgrip, which are standard features in most states but illegal under state law.
I think if the rifle had been modified for automatic fire or had a bump stock installed, that would have been reported by now.
Good point about New York and a longer list of illegal modifications.

My mind just reverted to my state where the only illegal modifications would be bump stocks or modifying internal components to allow for automatic type fire.

He planned this online with many others seeing his words week after week. He is capable of recognizing the consequences of his actions.
Why isn't the FBI monitoring these online chats? An algorithm could track violent language, planning, and intent? FWI, during the Cold War, one of every three members of the Communist Party was an FBI informant.

Individual perpetrators aside, I strongly suspect that a significant number of socio political extremists- whether they be white supremacists, Islamacists, right or left wing political extremists etc. are not mentally ill in the clinical sense.

As a result, no amount of mental health rehabilitation is going to "cure" them. Rather, their terroristic actions are entirely deliberate and stem not from various forms of insanity, but from various ideologies that they chose to follow.
Exactly. There's nothing wrong with their mental faculties. These mass shooters simply have a different worldview, one that they believe must be achieved through violence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back