NY - 5 people, 3 of them infants, stabbed at daycare centre, Queens, 21 Sept 2018

3 infants among 5 stabbed at unlicensed ‘after birth center’ in Queens: officials
"Authorities were called at about 3:40 a.m. to a residence believed to be serving as an "after birth center" — that was advertised as a day-care center — where women stay after giving birth, on 161st Street between 45th and 43rd avenues in Flushing.

According to police, adults upstairs heard screaming from below. They came downstairs and saw a 52-year-old woman stabbing three female infants with a butcher knife and a meat cleaver."
"The facility allegedly offered to care for babies in order to allow new mothers time to rest. Details about how many families used its services, and Wang's role there, are not yet known."

Police sources identified the woman as Yu Fen Wang."
Okay, this is making much more sense why such very, very young little babies were there.

jmo

https://nypost.com/2018/09/21/infants-among-wounded-in-queens-day-care-stabbing/

“The daycare was illegal. They used it as a place for Chinese women to keep babies they gave birth to,” the source explained. “The moms would then get citizenship because babies were born here.”

Good grief!
Definitely not the business model of an overnight daycare for shift workers that I thought it was upthread!

I've heard of high-end "birth tourism" but this seems rather low-end. Did the women give birth at the residence or at the hospital?

jmo

3 infants among 5 stabbed at unlicensed ‘after birth center’ in Queens: officials
"Authorities were called at about 3:40 a.m. to a residence believed to be serving as an "after birth center" — that was advertised as a day-care center — where women stay after giving birth, on 161st Street between 45th and 43rd avenues in Flushing.

According to police, adults upstairs heard screaming from below. They came downstairs and saw a 52-year-old woman stabbing three female infants with a butcher knife and a meat cleaver."
"The facility allegedly offered to care for babies in order to allow new mothers time to rest. Details about how many families used its services, and Wang's role there, are not yet known."

Police sources identified the woman as Yu Fen Wang."

It's amazing that these babies weren't hurt even worse than they were.

Day care stabbings: 3-day-old, 2 other infants, 2 adults attacked in New York - CNN
"The city's Buildings Department had received several complaints against the property, including the possibility that it was being illegally used as a hotel, records show. Department inspectors were unable to gain access to the home on several occasions.
The city had received a complaint in 2011 of "screaming children" at the residence, Holmes said, noting that the call came to a city hotline.
Of the children present during Friday's assault, five were girls and four were boys, she said."

3 Babies Stabbed at Maternity Center; Cleaver Found at Scene

A 52-year-old woman allegedly stabbed five people, including three baby girls no more than a month old, at a maternity center in Queens early Friday, and cops say they found a butcher knife and meat cleaver at the scene.

A 13-day-old girl and a 1-month-old girl were stabbed in the stomach; a 22-day-old girl had a laceration to her ear, chin and lip. All are in critical but stable condition, authorities said. Two other people, a father of a child at the center and another woman who worked there, were also stabbed at the Flushing center just before 4 a.m. Friday. The woman was stabbed eight times in the torso.

More ...

Some reports said 3 girls, some said 2 girls and 1 boy were attacked. If in fact it was 3 girls who were injured and none of the 4 male babies injured- one might wonder about motive, iykwim.
imo, speculation.

3 Babies Stabbed at Maternity Center; Cleaver Found at Scene

Authorities say it appears the stabbing spree at what was initially described as an overnight daycare started with an attack on the adult female. The 31-year-old father who was injured intervened and was stabbed in the leg; then the attack on the children began. Two people called 911 -- and those calls revealed abject terror.

It wasn't clear whether the stabbed father's child was one of the infants stabbed. He, along with the 63-year-old worker stabbed in the torso, are hospitalized in critical but stable condition.

Sounds like an argument between the attacker and female victim initiated the attack? Or did the adult female victim try to stop the suspect from attacking the infants?

I assumed at first that the women (victim and suspect) were both employees of the maternity center, but if other adults didn't recognize the suspect, I wonder if she was a neighbor who heard and was irritated by the babies crying? IDK

I assumed at first that the women (victim and suspect) were both employees of the maternity center, but if other adults didn't recognize the suspect, I wonder if she was a neighbor who heard and was irritated by the babies crying? IDK
Snipped

I think both the women (the stabber and the victim) were indeed employees. The parents are new to the place since they are there because they have newborns - it's possible they don't know the overnight employees that well or at all. It could be that one employee stays with the babies all the time and another one brings the babies to the parents during the night as needed. During the day when the parents are up and about, these particular employees might not be there.

jmo

“She was one of the workers in the place, and I think she was mentally ill,” Queens State Assemblyman Ron Kim said. “It was early in the morning and she kind of lost it. That’s all we know.”

Investigators are using Chinese translators to interview witnesses and neighbors, WCBS-TV reported. Police are unclear why so many newborns and some parents were present.”
3 babies, 3 adults stabbed in attack at NYC child care center | Gephardt Daily

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288