Found Deceased NY - Avonte Oquendo, 14, Long Island City, 4 Oct 2013

I truly hate to say it but Avonte Oquendo fell into the east river and drowned. His body has not been found as it would possibly float out to the Atlantic Ocean.

Sadly, the statistics back you up on that.

"Since 2011, 41 American children with autism have died after wandering, or “bolting,” from caregivers. Water is often a fatal draw for these children. Since April of this year, 14 out of 16 deaths were from drowning."

And many of the known East River drowning victims were never found. Even when their rescuers saw when they went under. The current is strong through the straights and runs out to the Atlantic. East River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://queenscourier.com/2013/autism-expert-says-theres-still-hope-avonte-oquendo-will-be-found/

'...According to Andrew Baumann, president and CEO of New York Families for Autistic Children (NYFAC), this is not an isolated case. Children with autism are prone to running and throughout the country there have been many cases of children disappearing, he said.

“I don’t believe that anyone should give up hope on finding Avonte alive and in good condition,” Baumann said. “I don’t believe in giving up, these kids are really resilient.”...'

http://queenscourier.com/2013/autism-expert-says-theres-still-hope-avonte-oquendo-will-be-found/

'...According to Andrew Baumann, president and CEO of New York Families for Autistic Children (NYFAC), this is not an isolated case. Children with autism are prone to running and throughout the country there have been many cases of children disappearing, he said.

“I don’t believe that anyone should give up hope on finding Avonte alive and in good condition,” Baumann said. “I don’t believe in giving up, these kids are really resilient.”...'

Poor kid - he ran on a full stomach, what did he have for dinner? He would have been ravenous by dinnertime, what with running & exploring. He was used to a steady life - dinner on time, bed on time, bathed on time, up & off to school. How could he possibly survive on his own for over a month?? He doesn't talk. Even if he survived the night, he would have been disoriented without food or water or his parents. No child is resilient after a few days without the basics, let alone over a month.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Avonte-Home/414437158656906
" Bring Avonte Home If you are in the NYC area please join us on a mission! The Coalition for the Homeless operates a mobile soup kitchen that travels around NYC every day offering free meals to those in need. The mobile soup kitchen's schedule is included below. Please consider spending some time at one or a few of the stops, handing out flyers to the homeless and asking them if they have seen Avonte. Remember this is a daily route, so you can help any day in various neighborhoods in NYC. Thank you all for your continued support. Lets find Avonte before Thanksgiving!"

http://www.coalitionforthehomeless.org/pages/find-a-hot-meal "

:bump: for Avonte. What's going on? This is so sad. I pray they find him soon. Please do not give up on him.

Following is updated poster on Twitter today:

" #findAvonte ‏@FindIsabelCelis

STILL #MISSING!!! Avonte Oquendo is #Autistic . Your help is needed! RT, Share, Print, Broadcast, Post #FindAvonte pic.twitter.com/lq5Ot3wbQK "

I truly hate to say it but Avonte Oquendo fell into the east river and drowned. His body has not been found as it would possibly float out to the Atlantic Ocean.

This is what I think as well. I lived in Long Island City for 3 years and my kids loved running to the water, there are many areas in LIC that a child could easily fall into the water, many streets lead right up to it. Hey may not have been able to call for help the water moves fast. MO

There is another autistic boy, Michael Karvan who is missing from NJ and was spotted in Manhattan. I'm praying :please: as they search for Michael they find Avonte, then they find Michael!!!

:please: Keeping hope alive :please:

I saw a sign at Duane Read again and on the subwy...
Yes his poster is everywhere, but where is he?
It only makes me more sad... :(
He cant ask for help, and it is getting very cold now. :(:(

I saw a sign at Duane Read again and on the subwy...
Yes his poster is everywhere, but where is he?
It only makes me more sad... :(
He cant ask for help, and it is getting very cold now. :(:(

Yes,it makes me very sad too.

There is another autistic boy, Michael Karvan who is missing from NJ and was spotted in Manhattan. I'm praying :please: as they search for Michael they find Avonte, then they find Michael!!!

:please: Keeping hope alive :please:

Michael has been found safe in Ohio. Now we need Avonte to come home safe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back