Resolved NY - Brooklyn, Brooklyn Motor Inn, Hisp/WhtFem 25-35, UP82493, "Sophie", multiple tattoos, Jul'21

Can't get this woman out of my head. What kind of place is the Brooklyn Motor Inn? They have hourly rates for sure. Did staff know her, by the supposed name Sophie (or Sofie, Sofia), because she was a "working girl'? Didn't she checked in at some point, had to show her ID? Was she "a regular" and they didn't feel the need to check or is this the kind of place they don't look "so close"? This quote, from a traveling family, supposes otherwise: "and in addition the clerk asked for ID for each person staying in the room".

Looking at her tattoos, she was a gentle soul, struggling with things in life. I wonder if she was alone when she died. Sad. I hope she can be identified.

Can't get this woman out of my head. What kind of place is the Brooklyn Motor Inn? They have hourly rates for sure. Did staff know her, by the supposed name Sophie (or Sofie, Sofia), because she was a "working girl'? Didn't she checked in at some point, had to show her ID? Was she "a regular" and they didn't feel the need to check or is this the kind of place they don't look "so close"? This quote, from a traveling family, supposes otherwise: "and in addition the clerk asked for ID for each person staying in the room".

Looking at her tattoos, she was a gentle soul, struggling with things in life. I wonder if she was alone when she died. Sad. I hope she can be identified.

If it's the type of place I'm thinking...the girls are regulars. They meet John's there on a daily basis. They pay the manager hourly and they wouldn't need to show ID. As long as they pay and there is no mess afterwards they usually don't bother them. Hotel is making money off those girls as well. Drugs and prostitution is probably what keeps that hotel's doors open.

If it's the type of place I'm thinking...the girls are regulars. They meet John's there on a daily basis. They pay the manager hourly and they wouldn't need to show ID. As long as they pay and there is no mess afterwards they usually don't bother them. Hotel is making money off those girls as well. Drugs and prostitution is probably what keeps that hotel's doors open.

Just trying to be gentile...but ok...you being more explicit, totally ok with me.

Iam wondering too if it’s a homeless shelter.. seems like all the hotels motels have been turned into homeless shelters in nyc … we have 5 by me now… <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked up the Brooklyn Motor Inn and it's in the Red Hook neighborhood. Historically an industrial area, not sure if it's on the path to gentrification or not (@madamx maybe you can shed some light here). Nothing I've read so far shows that it's being used as a homeless shelter like many of the hotels in the borough, so my guess is on it being a hot sheet motel. Or if they didn't ID this woman, she may have been visiting the registered occupant of the room?

I looked up the Brooklyn Motor Inn and it's in the Red Hook neighborhood. Historically an industrial area, not sure if it's on the path to gentrification or not (@madamx maybe you can shed some light here). Nothing I've read so far shows that it's being used as a homeless shelter like many of the hotels in the borough, so my guess is on it being a hot sheet motel. Or if they didn't ID this woman, she may have been visiting the registered occupant of the room?

I would think it was more likely she was using a street name or other alias name that they couldn't trace.

idk about there but here in cali they are one in the same. my coworker was a patient zero for covid back in march 2020 and his roomie wouldnt let him come back so when he discharged from the hospital they quarantined him in a motor inn for unhoused and his neighbors were ladies of the night.

If it's a street name, she could be anybody with a different name. Just a thought....Maybe she is from one of these places called Sophia.

Sophia - West Virginia
Sophia - Oklahoma
Sophia - North Carolina

I don't know about Brooklyn exactly, but in the Bronx it can vary. Some cater mostly to sex workers, some house the homeless, some have both, some have neither.

idk about there but here in cali they are one in the same. my coworker was a patient zero for covid back in march 2020 and his roomie wouldnt let him come back so when he discharged from the hospital they quarantined him in a motor inn for unhoused and his neighbors were ladies of the night.

I don't know about Brooklyn exactly, but in the Bronx it can vary. Some cater mostly to sex workers, some house the homeless, some have both, some have neither.

That's pretty much the case in Massachusetts as well. I would say that the majority of the ones used as homeless shelters don't have a mix because if they tolerate prostitution or drug dealing, the state takes their housing contract way.

I find that people tend to get tattoos in their first language, so if this woman was Hispanic/Latinx or some sort of admixture, I believe she was at least first generation American. Obviously there are exceptions to this and I'm not sure if it's even very helpful. Just my observation.

FWIW, she looks to be of Indian descent to me (the country, but Native American).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back