NY NY - Carolee Ashby, 4, Fulton, 31 October 1968

Discussion in 'Resolved Cold Cases' started by Kimster, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

2. Loading...

3. gooniequeen

gooniequeen New Member

holy cow.

4. CanManEh

CanManEh New Member

to bad they can't charge him with something .Now aday's I swear its like cops make stuff up on the spot to add another charge agains't someone but something as serious as this and nothing can be done .I hope to hell he has been haunted every night he tries to sleep from that day continuing even now..

5. PFF

PFF New Member

6. Angelonline

Angelonline Registered User

I can't believe there was a statue of limitations on this.

7. fruity

fruity Active Member

http://www.everydayfamily.com/blog/facebook-solves-45-year-old-cold-case/

Traymar likes this.
  8. SCHMAE

SCHMAE Well-Known Member

So cool ! Yes, the internet should have everyone who got away with murder in the past looking over their shoulder. They cannot hide forever !

Traymar likes this.
  9. CNYRN98

CNYRN98 New Member

10. iamnotagolem

iamnotagolem Active Member

Shoddy police work and keeping quiet for long enough let this killer go free. Sad to know there are so many missing persons cases and unsolved crimes that will follow this same track.

11. chicagofa13

chicagofa13 New Member

Bad police work in the beginning doomed this case. And it's too bad that woman didn't come forward right away. There should be no statute of limitations on these crimes. And in my world there would be billboards with his picture put up ALL OVER the area saying GUILTY OF KILLING A 6 Y/O GIRL. :jail:

12. katilac

katilac Member

It's definitely imperfect justice, but, to an extent, I can relate and sympathize with the driver. It was an accident, he was very young, and he did not know until later that it a little girl he hit rather than an animal (and I do think that's plausible, as a direct witness thought it was a teddy bear until they saw people running over). Denial is so powerful, an the evidence/investigation were so limited, that I even think it was possible that he convinced himself that it really wasn't him.

However, most of my empathy is related to his young self at the time of the hit-and-run. He did eventually realize he did it, because he hid the car. If the person rumored to have done it wasn't involved at all, that was an extra, ongoing wrong of which he was guilty.

If this was covered in the article, I missed it: were the girls crossing with or against the traffic light? Or at a crosswalk? It can be really hard to see pedestrians at night. If the hit-and-run would have been viewed as an understandable accident, it is even more tragic that he didn't have the courage to come forward.

13. miamaia

miamaia Pittie Chick

Frustrating to learn of the existence of a third person of interest. Someone claiming to be Darlene Ashby, who was 15 and with Carolee at the time of the incident, commented on this article in response to others who had questioned why the reporter would even mention the existence of this third person when they already had a confession. Apparently it was the third person's name that has been swirling around town as guilty for 40 years, among other things.

It doesn't seem far fetched that a very prominent man could convince someone else who was there to take the fall, especially knowing that it is past the statute of limitations and there will be no real repercussions.

14. miamaia

miamaia Pittie Chick

I also think it is worth noting that the author of the series of articles on this case replied to a comment on the same article referenced above with this:

This person couldn't remember anything? Either you do or you don't recall hitting something substantial with a car the same night a local girl is killed. Especially if he has suffered from being prematurely accused for the past several decades - he knows where he was and where he wasn't.

Traymar likes this.
  15. Indy Anna

Indy Anna Well-Known Member

Douglas Parkhurst has himself been killed by a car driven onto a ballfield.

Car enters ballfield, killing man who confessed to deadly hit-and-run years earlier, reports say

StarrChance and Catch2266 like this.
  16. Jacire692

Jacire692 New Member

17. Jacire692

Jacire692 New Member

Douglas Parkhurst was just killed by a bizarre unrelated hit and run incident himself this week in Maine.