GUILTY NY - Caroline Wimmer, 26, found strangled, Staten Island, 28 March 2009

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Blue_Dolphin308, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Blue_Dolphin308

Blue_Dolphin308 We can't help everyone, But everyone can help some

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A New York City emergency medical technician is facing misdemeanor charges after being accused of taking a picture of a female murder victim and then posting it to his Facebook page.
    Mark Musarella, 49, was in court Thursday awaiting arraignment on charges of misdemeanor official misconduct. The retired New York Police detective is accused of posting the picture of a 26-year-old woman's corpse. The woman was found strangled with a hair-dryer cord March 30 on Staten Island, according to authorities, and a 28-year-old man has been charged in her death.
    According to Musarella's lawyer, Edward J. Pavia Jr., the appearance of the photo on the social networking site was a technical mistake and not a morbid act. Pavia said years of working as a detective instinctively led Musarella to take the picture after he was called to the scene of the death.

2. Loading...

3. r0tflcopter

r0tflcopter New Member

um... facebook previews the uploaded pic for you before it loads. "mistake" my butt.

and wth is this guy doing saving pictures of corpses to his computer...D:

4. elle1919

elle1919 New Member

Everyday I am more and more ashamed of what this world is coming to. Everyday there is more and more evil. When will it stop?

5. kittenish

kittenish New Member

If it was an accident, then it's a very unfortunate one.

But I just don't understand, if he is an EMT, and no longer a detective, why does he need to take pictures. And from his CELL PHONE? He should have known better.

6. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

Why would anyone upload a picture of a murder victim to a social networking site in the first place? :waitasec:

7. Syttende

Syttende New Member

The first thing that popped into my head is that maybe he was trying to get information in the case by posting the picture of a recognizable murder victim on a popular website...? I guess that'd require him to be pretty thoughtless.

Still, it's creepy that he even took a picture in the first place.

8. eileenhawkeye

eileenhawkeye Active Member

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/03/29/new.york.facebook.suit/index.html?iref=NS1

9. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

That is absolutely appalling!! I am so hopeful that the family prevails. Nothing will bring back their daughter but this travesty and resulting suit might protect other families from similar heartache.

10. peeples

peeples New Member

I feel bad for the parents.. I really really do...
    But they parents are going overboard with who they are suing. The guilty party (EMT) needs sued in civil court.. but the apartment building? Her work??? those make no sense

11. Hopeful One

Hopeful One Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who

How sick. But it doesn't state in the article WHY he posted it. What was the point? I'm confused.

12. colette

colette Active Member

I have no problem with them suing the guy that took or posted the pictures, I do have a problem with them suing Facebook. It appears as if they are trying to make money off this, as in who has the deepest pockets. Facebook can not control every picture someone posts. If the family complained and Facebook refused to delete the picture then I can see the suit, but I don't think this is the case.

13. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

From May 2010:

http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2010/05/suspect_convicted_of_stranglin.html

From March 2011:

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/03/murder_saga_ends_as_former_cop.html

It also says Calvin Lawson was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison.