GUILTY NY - Cathleen Krauseneck, 29, axed to death, Brighton, 19 Feb 1982 *husband arrested in 2019*

Defense in 1982 Brighton ax murder case says serial killer confessed to crime

Jan 29, 2020

Startling details are emerging from files that have been sealed for almost four decades. Those documents suggest Edward Laraby was once a suspect in the case and confessed while in prison in 2014.

[..]

He was on his deathbed, suffering from ALS, when he made a confession in the ax murder case. But he apparently got key details wrong.

He said it happened a year later and that the victim had short, dark hair. Krauseneck's hair was long and blond.

He also said she was sexually assaulted and left. Neither are true.

Finally, he also told police the victim was awake and on her knees when she was hit with the ax. Actual evidence shows she was in bed, sleeping.

Monroe County Assistant District Attorney Bill Gargan said Laraby was ruled out as a suspect.

"I think it will be abundantly clear, as you look at the history of Ed Laraby and the nature of this murder, this murder would be extraordinarily anomalous," he said outside court Wednesday.

A pretrial hearing on his case is scheduled for Feb. 23, at which time his defense team will argue that charges against him should be dropped.

1982 Ax Murder of N.Y. Mom Went Unsolved for Nearly 40 Years — But Now Her Husband Is Charged

I'm sure that they will try. I hope the prosecutor has all of their ducks in a row for this one. IMO the husband is guilty

IMO, when a grand jury indicts a suspect, it's unlikely that a preliminary hearing will result in charges dropped against the former husband, JK.

However, it's always possible that during the trial, after the prosecution rests, the defense will request the case against the husband dismissed for lack of evidence, and the court will agree to dismiss the case.

Given that it's during the trial that the prosecution provides their proof, we often learn that the decision to go to trial was very close.

I'm hopeful that after all this time that there is sufficient evidence for a jury to determine proof beyond a reasonable doubt to convict or acquit the
defendant.

Brighton Ax Murder Case Will Proceed Despite Request to Drop Charges

Jan 23, 2021

BRIGHTON, N.Y. — A virtual hearing was held Tuesday morning for the former Brighton man accused of killing his wife with an ax in their home nearly 40 years ago.

The murder of Cathy Krauseneck has remained unsolved. A new development though came in 2019 when her husband James was charged with her murder.

[..]

Krauseneck's lawyers are fighting to have the charges dropped, but Spectrum News is told the case is continuing.

Both sides conferenced with the judge and the next hearings are in late June.

So many killers have "confessed" to various crimes they didn't commit, I wonder how credible Laraby's statement about the Brighton case might be. I understand he lived not far away from where that murder happened, but putting him at the CS after all these years would be virtually impossible for LE, and he's deceased.

Henry Lee Lucas
confessed to a bunch of murders he didn't do. I think it's part of the control freak nature of a lot of killers, and they love the notoriety and attention.
Laraby was reportedly off by a year on the date of Cathy's death, her physical description, and where she was killed with the ax.

Carol had long blond hair and believed axed in her bed -- details Larby was way off on.

Laraby alleged he sexually assaulted Cathy, and also no evidence of a sexual assault.

Thank you @sds71. Although the article dates 2021, there's updated information:

State Supreme Court Justice Charles Schiano Jr. on Thursday set Aug. 29, 2022 as the trial date for James Krauseneck, Jr., 69, who was charged with murdering his wife, Cathleen Krauseneck, while she was in bed inside their Rochester family home on Feb. 19, 1982, the Democrat and Chronicle reported.

According to the report, Judge Schiano on Thursday also denied a request from Krauseneck for a Frye hearing, finding that it would be unnecessary. A Frye hearing is a proceeding to determine whether the method of evidence gathering in a case is accepted by experts in the relevant field. Judge Schiano reportedly reasoned that the method used to construct a recent timeline estimating Cathleen’s likely time of death “has been accepted science and is not novel.” The recent timeline reportedly places James in the house at or near it the time of his wife’s murder.

The gruesome slaying was the inspiration of a Netflix horror film.

James Krauseneck was in court Tuesday for a hearing that revealed a lot about the strategy his attorneys will try when the trial begins on Aug. 29th. They will focus on someone they say should have been the prime suspect: the late Edward Laraby.

This is going to be a very interesting trial. All circumstantial evidence -- absent any forensic evidence. The killer even wiped down the ax handle. I think it could go either way -- 50/50.

IMO, JK is his biggest admirer -- I don't think he moves his head as he walks to prevent one hair from falling out of place.

I have to believe the jurors will see through his very early behavior that I think was inconsistent with a husband whose wife was the victim of a brutal attack inside the very home the couple shared. Especially when the murder was still unsolved. o_O

MOO

8/30/22

The murder trial for an upstate New York man accused of killing his wife with an ax some 40 years ago is underway.

James Krauseneck, Jr., is accused of killing Cathleen Krauseneck, at their home in Rochester on Feb. 19, 1982. According to prosecutors, she was found in bed, dead from a “single blow to the head from an ax.”

[..]

Jury selection started on Monday.

According to local ABC affiliate WHAM, the couple’s daughter may be called to testify for the defense.

WHAM also reported that Sara will not otherwise be allowed to attend the trial.

The couple had reportedly moved into their Rochester home around six months before Cathleen was killed. According to the local Democrat & Chronicle newspaper, prosecutors plan to show that the couple was fighting over Cathleen’s recent discovery that Krauseneck had apparently not finished his PhD, as he had represented when he worked at Kodak.

8/30/22

The murder trial for an upstate New York man accused of killing his wife with an ax some 40 years ago is underway.

James Krauseneck, Jr., is accused of killing Cathleen Krauseneck, at their home in Rochester on Feb. 19, 1982. According to prosecutors, she was found in bed, dead from a “single blow to the head from an ax.”

[..]

Jury selection started on Monday.

According to local ABC affiliate WHAM, the couple’s daughter may be called to testify for the defense.

WHAM also reported that Sara will not otherwise be allowed to attend the trial.

The couple had reportedly moved into their Rochester home around six months before Cathleen was killed. According to the local Democrat & Chronicle newspaper, prosecutors plan to show that the couple was fighting over Cathleen’s recent discovery that Krauseneck had apparently not finished his PhD, as he had represented when he worked at Kodak.
Reminds me of the Lori Hacking case. Her husband, Mark, told everyone he had been enrolled in medical school, which was a lie. Lori discovered the truth and he murdered her. Additionally, I will add she was pregnant, which seems to be a trigger for women's murder.

8/31/22

Rochester, N.Y. — Opening statements will begin next Tuesday in the case of a man accused of killing his wife with an ax four decades ago.

James Krauseneck is accused of killing his wife, Cathleen, in their Brighton home in 1982.

Prosecutors - and Cathleen Krauseneck's family - allege James Krauseneck had motive for the killing. They say there was marital discord over Krauseneck misleading Eastman Kodak Co., his employer - and his wife - about having earned his doctorate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back