GUILTY NY - Dr. Daniel Malakov, 34, dies in contract killing, Queens, 28 Oct 2007

T-Rex

Reaction score
This story appeared in the NY Post a few days ago.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10292007/news/regionalnews/qns__doc_murder_shocker.htm
"A Queens orthodontist who had recently been awarded custody of his 5-year-old daughter was fatally gunned down in cold blood in front of the screaming child yesterday as they entered a school playground to meet his ex-wife....

Police recovered a gun nearby....
No arrests have been made....
Police said no one was being questioned, and authorities have no suspects....Malakov, who is from Uzbekistan, had been embroiled in a nasty legal battle with his ex-wife, Mazaltuv Borokhove, and last week won on appeal full custody of their daughter."

Here's today's update:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10302007/news/regionalnews/cops_probe_calls_of_slain_docs.htm

How terribly sad for that little girl.

If it so happens that the mother paid someone to do this in front of her child I hope she rots!

Seems strange that the mother called and asked to meet him and then he was shot as he showed up where she asked him to.

This looks suspiciously like a contract hit to me.

I truely hope it was anything other than the mother's idea. This child would lose both parents right away.

The kind of father that sits on the floor to hang out with his kid is priceless. There is a photograph of him doing that - It saddens me.

BY Alison Gendar, Nicole Bode, Veronika Belenkaya and Leo Standora
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Friday, February 8th 2008, 1:20 AM

DelMundo for NewsDr. Mazoltuv Borukhova will be charged Friday with murder and conspiracy to commit murder in the shooting death of her estranged ex-husband, Daniel Malakov, cops say.
Dr. Mazoltuv Borukhova pictured here with then husband Daniel Malakov. Related ArticlesThe ex-wife of slain dentist Daniel Malakov was arrested Thursday on charges of plotting to kill him on a playground in front of their 4-year-old daughter.

Detectives hauled Dr. Mazoltuv Borukhova to the 112th Precinct in Queens for questioning and said they would charge her with murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

snip

Borukhova exchanged 65 calls with suspected triggerman Mikhail Mallayev, 50, in the days before the Oct. 28 slaying - one of them placed from near the crime scene, prosecutors have said.

Much more at link:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...dentist_daniel_malakov_a-1.html#ixzz0nogYCzlW

Mazoltov Borukhova

Housed: Bedford Hills
Admission Date: 04/29/2009

Offense: 1st Degree Murder
Offense: 2nd Degree Conspiracy
Sentence: LWOP

Mikhail Mallayev

Housed: Clinton
Admission Date: 05/04/2009

Offense: 1st Degree Murder
Offense: 2nd Degree Criminal Possession of a Weapon
Offense: 2nd Degree Conspiracy
Sentence: LWOP

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/03/05/judges-weigh-appeal-in-sensational-ny-murder-trial/

both were convicted, she is now appealing, I have just read a great book about the case by Janet Malcolm called Iphegenia in Forest Hills,

this case was a tragedy all round but for there daughter Michelle it must be a never ending nightmare, I just hope her paternal family are loving and kind towards her and don't bad mouth her mother in front of her, and I hope they keep allowing her visitation with her mother if she continues to want to visit her, only Michelle can decide what opinions she holds about her mother and what culpability she feels her mother has in the murder of her father.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/03/05/judges-weigh-appeal-in-sensational-ny-murder-trial/

both were convicted, she is now appealing, I have just read a great book about the case by Janet Malcolm called Iphegenia in Forest Hills,

this case was a tragedy all round but for there daughter Michelle it must be a never ending nightmare, I just hope her paternal family are loving and kind towards her and don't bad mouth her mother in front of her, and I hope they keep allowing her visitation with her mother if she continues to want to visit her, only Michelle can decide what opinions she holds about her mother and what culpability she feels her mother has in the murder of her father.

I would say Ms. Malcolm has become unhinged, but that would imply she was ever "hinged" in the first place.

Apparently she never met a murderer she didn't like. Ask Joe McGuinness.

In Greek mythology, Iphigenia was slain by her father, Agamemnon, as a sacrifice to the gods before the Greeks sailed for Troy. When he returned from the war, Agamemnon was killed in turn by his wife and her lover.

So Malcolm has put the victim in this case in the place of a father who slaughtered his own daughter! Malcolm is despicable.

To wit, here's a "positive" review of her and her book:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/b...l=1&adxnnlx=1308414196-W/M/fkg7nsIAvefHqd6Mjg

NOTE: None of this is to quarrel with Joe's approving characterization of the book. I haven't read it, but nobody doubts Malcolm's skill. I just find her title (and, I assume, central metaphor) offensive. If a female murder victim, say Laci Peterson, were referred to as "Medea" in a book title, this board would explode!

I have no knowledge of the author Janet Malcolm prior to reading this book, so I am off to search the net to find out more about her,

in this book I felt she did sympathise to some extent with Mazoltuv the female defendant who was accused of hiring the hitman to murder her husband, I thought the book was very good in giving colour to a murder trial, she also ispoke to the victims family and spent time with them, I don't think she painted a very sympathetic view of them or empathised with them so much,

she (like me) was very concerned about Michelle who was 4 at the time of the murder, she is now 7 and remains with the paternal side of the family

I will follow the case with interest to see how the appeal pans out, I was appalled when I read in the book that the Judge made the defence do its opening statement with very little prep time when the state had a whole weekend to prepare theres, seems this is a big part of the appeal,

I have no knowledge of the author Janet Malcolm prior to reading this book, so I am off to search the net to find out more about her,

in this book I felt she did sympathise to some extent with Mazoltuv the female defendant who was accused of hiring the hitman to murder her husband, I thought the book was very good in giving colour to a murder trial, she also ispoke to the victims family and spent time with them, I don't think she painted a very sympathetic view of them or empathised with them so much,

she (like me) was very concerned about Michelle who was 4 at the time of the murder, she is now 7 and remains with the paternal side of the family

I will follow the case with interest to see how the appeal pans out, I was appalled when I read in the book that the Judge made the defence do its opening statement with very little prep time when the state had a whole weekend to prepare theres, seems this is a big part of the appeal,

Joe, I hope it didn't appear that I was picking on you. I think everyone agrees that Malcolm is a talented writer and I absolutely believe you that the book is good.

I'm simply appalled at the title. I have no doubt Maldolm intends it to be incendiary. In Aeschylus' Oresteia, a trilogy of plays that is our earliest version of the Agamemnon/Clytemnestra story, Agamemnon is deemed to be justified (see below) and Clytemnestra (his wife and murderer) is condemned.

(For those who care, the rest of the myth is that Electra and Orestes, Agamemnon and Clytemnestra's remaining children, kill their mother and her lover. In the plays, Electra then goes mad and Orestes is tormented by the Furies until the goddess Athena convenes a trial; there, the jury absolves Orestes on the ground that children are the rightful property of their fathers, and so Clytemnestra's fury over Iphigenia was unjustified.)

But post-feminist readings of the plays and myth see Clytemnestra in a much more sympathetic light. And Agamemnon is seen to represent patriarchal oppression and abuse. Malcolm is certainly aware of all of this.

I agree with this revisionist reading of the myth, but feel Malcolm "stacks the decks" by identifying the child in the real-life case with Iphigenia.

(NOTE: there are variants of the above myth where Iphigenia is turned into a deer and rescued at the last moment, to be later reunited with her brother, etc. Also, Agamemnon is portrayed somewhat differently in other works, such as The Iliad.)

No picking on, I have learned alot about the author and the myth of Iphigenia,

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back