Found Deceased NY - Dr. Tamara Saukin, 44, Staten Island, 18 Nov 2020

..another thought just ran into my head...suppose she wanted to meet somebody without letting her mother know?
And suppose that meeting did not go well? For whatever reason?
Speculation because it's running too long without hope in the existing scenarios presented by media..

Such a sad case. She has/had so much talent and accomplishments. The arrest and license surrender may have made her feel "worthless".

I also hope they do a good search around her home.
It may have but equally she may well have handled it admirably, she was no stranger to adversity and still she shone. Girl picked herself up after that awful accident and all that went with it and continued to expand her career and her practice.
But all of that may not have been her entire existence.
She had 6 months to get on with it, nobody died..
She may well have been fine about it all at the time of her disappearance.
We just do not know.

I definitely don't think that one surrenders one's license because they're "choosing to take a break". I think it's surrendered as part of a disciplinary action where you either choose to give it up or it's taken away. JMO.

Not necessarily.

Sometimes, when a doctor is receiving psychiatric care, their own treating physician insists on a surrender of their license OR helps them see that they need to surrender for a while, to deal with their own issues (and to ensure that said treating physician is being ethical - no one should prescribe certain psychoactive drugs to someone who is a practicing physician - or many other occupations).

Sometimes, the person does it on their own for similar, ethical reasons.

Tamara was brilliant at a very young age.
She was just 17 when she was a semi-finalist for a science scholarship.
It's on page 14 of this pdf.
https://sspcdn.blob.core.windows.net/files/Documents/Alumni/STS/1994_Semifinalist_Book.pdf

Her subject matter -'The optimisation of methane gas production through co-disposal in landfill'
(currently breaking the internet in search of crumbs. Not sure this will add to the discussion but she has nobody to talk for her that we know of and it doesn't feel right to me)

I'm not following. If she was having addiction issues or, let's see, any other health issues that would not allow her to perform her duties to her full potential, what other option would she have besides surrendering her license? That's the closest thing you get to put your career on pause when you're a doctor, correct?

If she had plans to not work for a while, and didn't know how long, wouldn't it make sense to surrender? At least to me it's making sense.

She was having legal issues too, so surrendering was probably something she would have to do. Can you be a doctor if you have a DWI?

I'm not following. If she was having addiction issues or, let's see, any other health issues that would not allow her to perform her duties to her full potential, what other option would she have besides surrendering her license? That's the closest thing you get to put your career on pause when you're a doctor, correct?

If she had plans to not work for a while, and didn't know how long, wouldn't it make sense to surrender? At least to me it's making sense.

She was having legal issues too, so surrendering was probably something she would have to do. Can you be a doctor if you have a DWI?
You can but it's a real hassle, drug testing at odd hours etc.
@ElementalLaura made a post about what exactly is involved and all that is necessary from a lawyer's website last night.
Again she's innocent until proven guilty and that case is not due to be heard until early December. First offence.

Not necessarily.

Sometimes, when a doctor is receiving psychiatric care, their own treating physician insists on a surrender of their license OR helps them see that they need to surrender for a while, to deal with their own issues (and to ensure that said treating physician is being ethical - no one should prescribe certain psychoactive drugs to someone who is a practicing physician - or many other occupations).

Sometimes, the person does it on their own for similar, ethical reasons.
Please read the whole thread. Tamara was facing criminal charges for DUI and driving under the influence of drugs. They likely were about to suspend her license but she chose to surrender it.

I put up 3 or 4 new links today and this is another.
I'm a tad disturbed now.
Police said Dr Saukin struggled with alcoholism and had previously expressed suicidal thoughts.

Dr Saukin maintained a family medicine practice until 9 October, when she withdrew from her work "due to unforeseen circumstances." A short time later, she changed her employment status to "self-employed."

When a friend on her Facebook asked her what was going on, she replied "Family issues. Thanks much for asking."
That text keeps appearing in almost the exact same format in every single report.

NYPost first reported her 'alcoholism', possibly because they found the DUI charge,
That could well have been a mere one off incident.
I have no idea where they got her alleged history of depression.
LE are on Twitter, we've shared all their tweets, they didn't mention either depression or suicide.
She would have had to complete some addiction therapy in order to get her licence cleared if she wanted to return to full practice for even a single incident. That is true.

But where is it written that this lady was a full blown alcoholic and suffered from depression? Did LE really give that info to NYPost?

I do not have a good grasp of her personality but something isn't sitting well with me.
I understand media is bought in bulk and distributed in this manner but by now, 9 days today we should know some more of her story.
Human beings have lots of capabilities but disappearance is not one of them. If she is in that park why has she not been found by now?
Are they searching elsewhere at all?
It's all so very quiet, too quiet by far..
All IMO

The NYPD did not immediately respond to a request for further updates on the investigation.
The New York Post, (which IMO is not A-number-one when it comes to accuracy) did not name their source for the information regarding the Dr.’s alcoholism and suicidal thoughts IN THE PAST. However, I would wager to say that it was the same LE source who related that she was at the park with her mom, there were no signs of foul play, etc. as the article attributes all of that information to police/cops/law enforcement.

Alcoholism and/or drug abuse is not particular about its’ victims; ie: neither is limited to bad or stupid people. If in fact she did struggle with alcoholism, it doesn’t take away the fact that she’s a compassionate, hard-working, and accomplished doctor. That all remains true.

The DUI was likely the first time she had any trouble with the law and it must have been soul-crushing for her, but doctors and other health care professionals are experiencing unprecedented challenges and higher levels of stress this year. So, I don't find it difficult to believe that she had issues with alcohol. Again, IF she did.

LE is doing their due diligence by searching the park as it is the last place she was seen. It is a large area with steep inclines (in some places) and three bodies of water. It takes time. MOO

Substance Abuse in Doctors - Statistics & Treatment Options
Alcohol Abuse Among Doctors
A nationwide study of substance use disorders in a large sample of physicians showed that alcohol is the most commonly abused substance among doctors in the United States.5 Data show 12.9% of male physicians and 21.9% of female physicians abuse alcohol, much higher rates than the 6.2% of the overall U.S. population aged 18 years or older with an alcohol use disorder.6 A 5-year cohort study of physician health programs found that alcohol was the primary substance of abuse for more than half of the doctors enrolled in these addiction support and monitoring programs.2

The Abuse of Prescription Drugs Among Doctors
The misuse of prescription drugs, particularly opioids and benzodiazepines, is very prevalent among doctors. Nearly 36% of physicians enrolled in physician health programs suffer from opioid abuse.2 Greater access to prescription drugs may help to explain why this form of self-medication is so common among doctors.7 Overall, the rate of prescription drug abuse among doctors is about 5 times higher than in the general population.2

Physician Suicide: A Call to Action (nih.gov)
In addition to general risk factors, the elevated suicide risk among physicians is likely due to population-specific factors. Physicians are trained in toxicology and have readily available access to lethal medications, and depending on specialty, may have additional expertise that can be turned to lethal use.1 Doctors are also exposed to high levels of personal and professional stress. They must make life-or-death decisions at work and are constantly at risk of malpractice claims. They may face high-stakes conflicts with administration or colleagues, and many struggle with marital conflict or issues at home because of work demands. To make things worse, increasing oversight and regulation has diminished physicians’ autonomy, which has been linked to decreased job satisfaction and burnout.4 Moreover, modern physicians are increasingly burdened by cumbersome electronic health records systems and stringent documentation requirements, which now frequently occupy more of their work hours than direct patient care.14

Substance abuse—which is itself a risk factor for attempted and completed suicide—is another occupational hazard. Female physicians have higher rates of alcohol abuse than women in the general population. Addiction is prevalent especially among emergency physicians, psychiatrists, and anesthesiologists.13 Substance abuse is associated with impulsivity and worsening affective symptoms. Thus, it is hardly surprising that physicians with substance use disorders have elevated rates of suicide attempt and completion.

Last edited:
The New York Post, (which IMO is not A-number-one when it comes to accuracy) did not name their source for the information regarding the Dr.’s alcoholism and suicidal thoughts IN THE PAST. However, I would wager to say that it was the same LE source who related that she was at the park with her mom, there were no signs of foul play, etc. as the article attributes all of that information to police/cops/law enforcement.

Alcoholism and/or drug abuse is not particular about its’ victims; ie: neither is limited to bad or stupid people. If in fact she did struggle with alcoholism, it doesn’t take away the fact that she’s a compassionate, hard-working, and accomplished doctor. That all remains true.

The DUI was likely the first time she had any trouble with the law and it must have been soul-crushing for her, but doctors and other health care professionals are experiencing unprecedented challenges and higher levels of stress this year. So, I don't find it difficult to believe that she had issues with alcohol. Again, IF she did.

LE is doing their due diligence by searching the park as it is the last place she was seen. It is a large area with steep inclines (in some places) and three bodies of water. It takes time. MOO

Substance Abuse in Doctors - Statistics & Treatment Options
Alcohol Abuse Among Doctors
A nationwide study of substance use disorders in a large sample of physicians showed that alcohol is the most commonly abused substance among doctors in the United States.5 Data show 12.9% of male physicians and 21.9% of female physicians abuse alcohol, much higher rates than the 6.2% of the overall U.S. population aged 18 years or older with an alcohol use disorder.6 A 5-year cohort study of physician health programs found that alcohol was the primary substance of abuse for more than half of the doctors enrolled in these addiction support and monitoring programs.2

The Abuse of Prescription Drugs Among Doctors
The misuse of prescription drugs, particularly opioids and benzodiazepines, is very prevalent among doctors. Nearly 36% of physicians enrolled in physician health programs suffer from opioid abuse.2 Greater access to prescription drugs may help to explain why this form of self-medication is so common among doctors.7 Overall, the rate of prescription drug abuse among doctors is about 5 times higher than in the general population.2

Physician Suicide: A Call to Action (nih.gov)
In addition to general risk factors, the elevated suicide risk among physicians is likely due to population-specific factors. Physicians are trained in toxicology and have readily available access to lethal medications, and depending on specialty, may have additional expertise that can be turned to lethal use.1 Doctors are also exposed to high levels of personal and professional stress. They must make life-or-death decisions at work and are constantly at risk of malpractice claims. They may face high-stakes conflicts with administration or colleagues, and many struggle with marital conflict or issues at home because of work demands. To make things worse, increasing oversight and regulation has diminished physicians’ autonomy, which has been linked to decreased job satisfaction and burnout.4 Moreover, modern physicians are increasingly burdened by cumbersome electronic health records systems and stringent documentation requirements, which now frequently occupy more of their work hours than direct patient care.14

Substance abuse—which is itself a risk factor for attempted and completed suicide—is another occupational hazard. Female physicians have higher rates of alcohol abuse than women in the general population. Addiction is prevalent especially among emergency physicians, psychiatrists, and anesthesiologists.13 Substance abuse is associated with impulsivity and worsening affective symptoms. Thus, it is hardly surprising that physicians with substance use disorders have elevated rates of suicide attempt and completion.
I'm not in any way in denial about alcoholism in medical professionals.
BUT police did NOT issue an endangered alert or a silver alert which would seem to be appropriate if she was indeed vulnerable physically or mentally.
The following link pertains mainly to amber alert but deep in the document it addresses missing endangered adults.
Pg 24
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/232001.pdf

I'm not in any way in denial about alcoholism in medical professionals.
BUT police did NOT issue an endangered alert or a silver alert which would seem to be appropriate if she was indeed vulnerable physically or mentally.
The following link pertains mainly to amber alert but deep in the document it addresses missing endangered adults.
Pg 24
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/232001.pdf
Believe it or not, I'm somewhat familiar with that document! LOL :)

I will say this; the EMA is not a one-size-fits-all alert. It may or may not have been appropriate for NY to issue an EMA in this case. In my experience, those tend to be reserved for missing persons with cognitive disorders. MOO

Missing Adult Alert Program, FAQs for Law Enforcement - NY DCJS

Believe it or not, I'm somewhat familiar with that document! LOL :)

I will say this; the EMA is not a one-size-fits-all alert. It may or may not have been appropriate for NY to issue an EMA in this case. In my experience, those tend to be reserved for missing persons with cognitive disorders. MOO

Missing Adult Alert Program, FAQs for Law Enforcement - NY DCJS
Thank you , that's the one I was searching for.

The program alerts the public and law enforcement when an individual who is at least 18 years old and has a cognitive disorder, mental disability or brain disorder goes missing. Time is of the essence when a person goes missing; the program allows for the rapid dissemination of information that can result in an individual’s safe return.
Would she have not qualified if what the NYP printed was truth and that they had received the info from LE?
I'm trying to figure out whether she was really depressed or suicidal currently or not.

Thank you , that's the one I was searching for.

The program alerts the public and law enforcement when an individual who is at least 18 years old and has a cognitive disorder, mental disability or brain disorder goes missing. Time is of the essence when a person goes missing; the program allows for the rapid dissemination of information that can result in an individual’s safe return.
Would she have not qualified if what the NYP printed was truth and that they had received the info from LE?
I'm trying to figure out whether she was really depressed or suicidal currently or not.
BBM Not necessarily. This is what the New York Post printed (emphasis mine):

Saukin suffered from alcoholism and has expressed suicidal thoughts in the past, a law enforcement source said. Part of her routine was to walk with family in the park in the morning.

Suffered - not "suffers." Expressed suicidal thoughts in the past.

So, for all we know, she could have been sober as a judge for months. I hope so. And, I hope she's found soon and safe. My heart goes out to her mother and all of her family. Such an amazing woman! MOO

This case for Vanessa Ramirez has a lot of similarities with DR Tamara Saukin's case.
However, both were done on the same day, in 2 different states.
But both women were out walking in a park, with family members and disappeared.
No connection, I am sure....just reminded me of what happened to Vanessa -- the park, out walking with family, splitting from family members. UGH
Found Deceased - IL - Vanessa Ceja Ramirez, 22, raped and murdered, Midlothian, November 2, 2020
Eerily similar, you are correct.

Hi, I'm joining for this discussion after reading most of the posts and especially seeing the compassion and concern expressed for Dr. Saukin. I found the site while looking for updates.

I had been a patient of hers and can certainly confirm that she was an exceptional person. I have a lot of different thoughts so I'll just put them down the best I can.

I live on Staten Island and I found Dr. Saukin when I was looking for a nearby holistic doctor. She was listed as such. I didn't really find what I was looking for because she was a medical doctor and not a naturopath, but her sensibility was certainly more holistic. She took time talking to me and I mean she spent a lot of time with me and I am sure with all her patients. This was a few years ago and I went I think 4 times to her in a couple of years. The last time I went I left without seeing her because the wait was too long, she didn't rush people out, she spent time with them, answering all questions and trying to find solutions.

Two things I can also say -- she still had pain from her accident and she might have been on medication from it, I cannot say that for sure, but I know she still had pain and the accident was a huge thing in her life. The other thing is that she sympathized with my search for a holistic doctor and wanted to be that, and I think could have but I think she was under a lot of pressure to have a conventional practice and was overbooked. She didn't like the medical establishment and could understand why I didn't. She was open-minded and analytical, smarter and more caring than many other doctors.

Sorry to make this so long, but I also just want to say that I guess I'm afraid that maybe if she was walking with her mom she might have told her mom to go on ahead because she forgot something or even asked her mom to get something from the car and then she just might have taken off. I say it after knowing someone that got away from those who were watching over him so that he could end his life. I hope it's not true. I would like to think maybe she planned to meet someone and start a new life. But I get the feeling she was in a lot of pain physically and mentally, and having to close her practice was a tremendous loss. Knowing how she was with people I would imagine that it was excruciating to feel that she was letting them down. It was pretty shocking and bizarre to get that letter in the mail that she was closing it due to unforeseen circumstances, I had no idea what it could have meant.

Also, I would imagine that her mom must be so devastated that she probably has not been able to talk and maybe even blames herself. So that could be why the information about her mom being with her came out so much later.

These are just thoughts and I don't know what is true. And I can only pray.

The last thing I want to say is that the park is very big with a lot of different sections and from what I have seen there are a lot of hiding places. Plus I think some trails are linked to at least one of the Greenbelt trails, which means more wooded area to search, and other bodies of water.

I hope she is still alive and somehow will be able to heal.

Welcome to Websleuths, @Sea Rider!

I’m sorry that it’s not under better circumstances.

Dr. Saukin’s story has touched many of us, even though we haven’t met her. She sounds remarkable.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. We’re all hoping for the best and that she finds peace.

Hi, I'm joining for this discussion after reading most of the posts and especially seeing the compassion and concern expressed for Dr. Saukin. I found the site while looking for updates.

I had been a patient of hers and can certainly confirm that she was an exceptional person. I have a lot of different thoughts so I'll just put them down the best I can.

I live on Staten Island and I found Dr. Saukin when I was looking for a nearby holistic doctor. She was listed as such. I didn't really find what I was looking for because she was a medical doctor and not a naturopath, but her sensibility was certainly more holistic. She took time talking to me and I mean she spent a lot of time with me and I am sure with all her patients. This was a few years ago and I went I think 4 times to her in a couple of years. The last time I went I left without seeing her because the wait was too long, she didn't rush people out, she spent time with them, answering all questions and trying to find solutions.

Two things I can also say -- she still had pain from her accident and she might have been on medication from it, I cannot say that for sure, but I know she still had pain and the accident was a huge thing in her life. The other thing is that she sympathized with my search for a holistic doctor and wanted to be that, and I think could have but I think she was under a lot of pressure to have a conventional practice and was overbooked. She didn't like the medical establishment and could understand why I didn't. She was open-minded and analytical, smarter and more caring than many other doctors.

Sorry to make this so long, but I also just want to say that I guess I'm afraid that maybe if she was walking with her mom she might have told her mom to go on ahead because she forgot something or even asked her mom to get something from the car and then she just might have taken off. I say it after knowing someone that got away from those who were watching over him so that he could end his life. I hope it's not true. I would like to think maybe she planned to meet someone and start a new life. But I get the feeling she was in a lot of pain physically and mentally, and having to close her practice was a tremendous loss. Knowing how she was with people I would imagine that it was excruciating to feel that she was letting them down. It was pretty shocking and bizarre to get that letter in the mail that she was closing it due to unforeseen circumstances, I had no idea what it could have meant.

Also, I would imagine that her mom must be so devastated that she probably has not been able to talk and maybe even blames herself. So that could be why the information about her mom being with her came out so much later.

The last thing I want to say is that the park is very big with a lot of different sections and from what I have seen there are a lot of hiding places. Plus I think some trails are linked to at least one of the Greenbelt trails, which means more wooded area to search, and other bodies of water.

Thank you Sea Rider!

Welcome @SeaRider and thank you for sharing your experience of knowing her.
It's great to get another perspective.

It might sounds farfetched, but my hope is she needed to get away and somehow found some place to do it. Maybe the support, sympathy and possible interventions were too much and she needed to be alone to think, and to detox. And the only way she could do that without a ton of opposition would be to just leave, the way she did. It would take a lot of strength to do that and I hope it's a real possibility.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back