NY Eager - ghoulish? - doctors attempted to harvest living woman's organs

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Jul 8, 2013.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Woman opened her eyes as doctors who thought she was brain dead began to take out her organs for donation. (Daily Mail)
    much more at the link

2. Loading...

3. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

That's why many people are afraid to sign up as organ donors. Organs shouldn't be taken from people who can still use them.

4. Hamsterdance

Hamsterdance New Member

5. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

I agree with this. Many people are afraid that if they agree to be a donor that life saving measures won't be taken for them, or that medical staff will be too eager to harvest the organs.

It sounds to me like the Dr. possibly made a judgment of "worthiness" on this woman and thought someone else might be more worthy of the organs. I hope they are filing charges on him.

6. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Sounds like the hospital got away with $6,000 fine. No charges. Woman didn't even sue because she was deeply depressed.

7. txsvicki

txsvicki Active Member

Something like that happening would definitely make a person even more depressed, but the story sounds almost like a miracle was given this lady, hopefully through nurses who wouldn't give up. I wonder if she had a living will?