Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #2 *P. Hernandez guilty*

Discussion in '1970's Missing' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Former Member

[​IMG]
    (Photo: Patz Imaging)

6-year-old Etan Patz was last seen walking to his school bus stop in New York City, New York the morning of May 25, 1979. This was the first time his parents allowed him to walk to the bus stop alone. Etan has never been heard from again. He wasn't noticed as missing until he didn't make it home from school that day.

A known pedophile, Jose Antonio Ramos, has been the suspect in Etan's case for years. He dated the woman who walked Etan to school during a bus strike. He admitted to taking Etan to his apartment the day he disappeared, but said he let him go when Etan resisted him. Ramos was found liable for Etan's death in 2004.

Recently, focus has shifted to a new possible suspect, handyman Othniel Miller. Miller reportedly gave Etan $1 for doing handy work the day before he disappeared, and poured fresh concrete in his workshop soon after. The basement was dug up in 2012 in search of clues.

PREVIOUS THREADS:

Thread #1

And just so *everyone* is clear....

Etan's parents are considered victims. They are most definitely NOT suspects.
    END. OF. STORY.

2. epiphany

epiphany Well-Known Member

Ha! You're pulling my leg, WFG. Certainly, there must be creepier things we've both read about on this board!

3. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Just the image it creates - the bearded madman hovering above, pulling toys on invisible string, beckoning.

4. carole

carole Well-Known Member

I believe this article means that around the time Etan was abducted, Ramos was using toys to entice children to come to him/his home. Ramos was an adult, not the age of the boy and girl mentioned in the article.

Absolutely a very creepy picture in my mind - a pedophile luring children with toys.

5. epiphany

For all I know it's fiction, like the imagery the NYT etched in my psyche re the leak by anonymous sources of OM's supposed response when he was shown a book of images of children.

6. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

7. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

It has a certain cinematic quality that might be soundtracked by Pink Floyd, any time from 'Dark Side of the Moon' back to the band's genesis in '65.

8. Mrs. Holmes

Mrs. Holmes New Member

<modsnip>

Justice must be blind and without emotion. This case is far from solved. In my opinion. If the family members can not be considered then there is no point websleuthing this case.

9. epiphany

How about the image of that dollar bill Etan had visible as he left the apartment? Perhaps, it beckoned Etan to trust an adult who ultimately betrayed him. Grooming? Nothing points to Etan as having ever met Ramos.

10. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Looks like the tabloids have dropped this one; don't see any blaring headlines so far.

11. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Former Member

Rarely is anyone ever "entirely exonerated". However, in keeping with Websleuths Terms of Service...a family is ALWAYS considered VICTIMS. Unless they are specifically named suspects or persons of interest, or there are extreme circumstances obviously leading that way, we never sleuth the family.

However, that does not mean that you can't discuss them as they relate to the facts of the case.

If there are any further questions from anyone about this, please PM a moderator directly.

12. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

more here: Etan dig comes up empty (NY Post)

13. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

This is an interesting Post take on things, by a guy who grew up in NYC just prior to the Etan Patz disappearance:

Oh, for the days when kids could walk streets of city alone
    more at the NY Post link above

14. Shelby2

Shelby2 Well-Known Member

:truce:
    Seriously, that IS pretty creepy!!

15. Shelby2

That may be true for LE. We are not LE. LE has already said the parents are not involved. However there are other suspects who have been named that are worth looking into. Not his parents though.

16. Shelby2

I have mixed emotions about Etan not being found there. While at least the parents would have known what happened, I can't imagine knowing that my child was under a basement in a building that I had probably walked past hundreds of times.

17. Mrs. Holmes

Mrs. Holmes New Member

Show me a link to information where LE states the parents are not involved and are not considered suspects. I would like to read that. The new investigator has made it clear they are looking outside the previous scope.

Cleary this is a difficult crime to solve. If you keep looking at it the "same way" you will get the same results.

18. Cappuccino

Cappuccino Well-Known Member

This case is 33 years old, and the parents were cleared decades ago. You're not necessarily going to find an online article saying that after this passage of time. Unless there is some new evidence or knowledge that points to the parents, they are victims and not suspects.

19. epiphany

20. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

SheWho explained it it all last night. WS is taking the stand that we are not going to sleuth the parents as they are victims.

Please don't bring it up again. :tyou:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.