Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #2 *P. Hernandez guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
we're rapidly approaching Oct 1 with no new news. I'm sure that if there was any Kelly would be all over the boob tube.

I was thinking, stupidly of course, that there would be the arrest of an accomplice who maybe helped Hernandez dispose of the 'evidence'.

All in my mind of course. I'm just a clueless 'websleuth'.

Guess we'll see what happens, if anything,

No evidence that confessed 'killer' murdered Etan Patz: source (New York Post)
Four months after a bi-polar schizophrenic from Maple Shade, NJ confessed to the murder of Etan Patz, investigators have zero additional evidence to substantiate a case against him, The Post has learned.

"There's just nothing else on this guy," said a source -- one of several DA and NYPD investigators connected with the case who spoke of their frustration on condition of anonymity.
---
Hernandez's own confession -- actually a total of four statements -- is universally described by people who have viewed it as lengthy and compelling.

"I know why you're here," he tells investigators who come for him in New Jersey. "I've been waiting for this for years," he says. In his subsequent statements, he appears sane, measured and remorseful, sources say.
---
"He either did it, or he really believes he did it," one DA source told The Post.
---
the rest at link above

Police still cannot prove Pedro Hernandez killed Etan Patz unfortunately.

The arrest of Pedro Hernandez in May was supposed to bring closure to the parents of Etan Patz, the 6-year-old boy who vanished on his way to the bus stop in New York City in 1979.
However, four months after the mentally-ill New Jersey man's statement to police that he strangled the little boy and stuffed his body in a box, investigators cannot find a single piece of conclusive evidence to corroborate his story.
Some within the New York Police Department and District Attorney's office believe Hernandez, 51, should never have been arrested and paraded in front of the public so swiftly.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ths-tell-police-killed-boy.html#ixzz27RcICHYX
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

He has a long history of mental illness, that wasn't invented by his defense attorney its the simple truth. Hernandez himself seems to genuinely believe he killed Etan Patz, whether he's correct or delusional I don't know.

I have my doubts though.

ur right. His 'mental illness' was not invented by his lawyer, Fishbein, who is noted for trying to get people off due to mental illness. It was simply used by him to shed doubt on Hernandez's confession. If he can't win the case by saying that Hernandez is mentally ill and his confession is not valid be assured that he will say that if indeed Hernandez did murder Etan then he was 'mentally ill' when he did.

Hernandez is not one of those people who freely admits to crimes that they didn't commit. He was turned in by his brother-in law and he eventually confessed after hours of questioning.

In my opinion he is the first real suspect in the case but after 33 years it won't be easy to convict him..

Either way thanks to the NYPD for not questioning him at the beginning.

ur right. His 'mental illness' was not invented by his lawyer, Fishbein, who is noted for trying to get people off due to mental illness. It was simply used by him to shed doubt on Hernandez's confession. If he can't win the case by saying that Hernandez is mentally ill and his confession is not valid be assured that he will say that if indeed Hernandez did murder Etan then he was 'mentally ill' when he did.

I don't care what his lawyer tries nor what he is noted for. Hernandez is schizophrenic, which makes him vulnerable to false confessions especially if put under psychological pressure by a police interrogation.

Hernandez is not one of those people who freely admits to crimes that they didn't commit. He was turned in by his brother-in law and he eventually confessed after hours of questioning.

Nuff said.

If they can't find any corroborative evidence they should let him go.

they do have corrroborative evidence being his confession and where he was in juxtaposition to where he was when the boy vanished.

Ur indeed right that the court may demand more evidence.

Regarding his mental condition being that I'm not privy to his medical records I have no idea.

However, if indeed he did kill Etan, which I believe he did, he then went on to live a full life, including having 3 children, in which case I hope he gets locked up real fast.

They have no evidence to corroborate his confession. An uncorroborated confession from a schizophrenic who was interviewed for hours with no attorney present is not worth the paper its written on.

I also have trouble believing that this guy ups and kills a child 30 odd years ago and does nothing similar before or since. If they can find a connection between Hernandez and another missing or murdered child, then that's different, but at the moment this case looks like a typical product of a rush to arrest in a blaze of publicity. I'm not buying it at all.

I also have trouble believing that this guy ups and kills a child 30 odd years ago and does nothing similar before or since.
snip

How do we know what he has done? Your whole argument is that we have no corroborative evidence in the Patz matter, which is quite true; but one cannot logically conclude, based on your argument, that, because no corroborative evidence exists in the Patz matter, Hernandez therefore did not also commit similar crimes before or after Etan Patz's death.

snip

How do we know what he has done? Your whole argument is that we have no corroborative evidence in the Patz matter, which is quite true; but one cannot logically conclude, based on your argument, that, because no corroborative evidence exists in the Patz matter, Hernandez therefore did not also commit similar crimes before or after Etan Patz's death.

I haven't concluded any such thing. That's why I said that if they find evidence linking him to anything similar, then that's different. However, at the moment we have no evidence for any similar crimes committed by this man before or since.

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm not buying this case at all. If something new emerges, I may change my mind.

This is really disappointing. I'm still hopeful that Hernandez is the right person, but it seems kind of remote with no evidence. I'd think they would have dug up something more conclusive by now. My sympathies to the Patz family; I'm sorry they have to continue watching the nightmare unfold after all this time.

They have no evidence to corroborate his confession. An uncorroborated confession from a schizophrenic who was interviewed for hours with no attorney present is not worth the paper its written on.

I also have trouble believing that this guy ups and kills a child 30 odd years ago and does nothing similar before or since. If they can find a connection between Hernandez and another missing or murdered child, then that's different, but at the moment this case looks like a typical product of a rush to arrest in a blaze of publicity. I'm not buying it at all.

Where are you getting that PH is schizophrenic? I've only seen him called "mentally ill" with no medical records even backing up that statement. Can you please link me to anything describing his specific mental problems?

Where are you getting that PH is schizophrenic? I've only seen him called "mentally ill" with no medical records even backing up that statement. Can you please link me to anything describing his specific mental problems?

Wfgodot linked to it in a NYPost article in post 703 on this page.

even if Hernandez has mental problems the only reason that we know about it is because of his lawyer who brought it up trying to make like Hernandez confessed due to his 'mental problems' when we know that his brother in law turned him in. He hardly came forth and 'confessed'.

How does his 'mental problems' have bearing if he did commit the crime since he had 3 children and lead a fairly full life for the last 33 years?

I also read that most people who commit homicides never do it again.

The police failed because they obviously had tunnell vision, thinking that Etan was abducted or killed by a full fledged child molester like Ramos.

Reminds me of the 31 year old search for the BTK serial killer where the cops searched for a weird loner when the actual killer was a working church going man with a wife and 2 kids.

Well, we'll know more come November 15th, which I understand is the deadline for an indictment. At this stage, all we know about is an uncorroborated confession from a man with a mental health history. That's not enough in any given case - if it was, Jeffrey McDonald would be innocent.

the link in msg # 703 is just the same old same old stuff that Hernandez's lawyer spread around. While it may or may not be true what is true is that Hernandez did not come forth and confess. He was turned in by his brother in law.

even if Hernandez has mental problems the only reason that we know about it is because of his lawyer who brought it up trying to make like Hernandez confessed due to his 'mental problems' when we know that his brother in law turned him in. He hardly came forth and 'confessed'.

How does his 'mental problems' have bearing if he did commit the crime since he had 3 children and lead a fairly full life for the last 33 years?

I also read that most people who commit homicides never do it again.

The police failed because they obviously had tunnell vision, thinking that Etan was abducted or killed by a full fledged child molester like Ramos.

Reminds me of the 31 year old search for the BTK serial killer where the cops searched for a weird loner when the actual killer was a working church going man with a wife and 2 kids.

O/T But it's funny how the police had two or more lists of possible suspects for possible reasons. IIRC, Rader's name was the only one to appear on all of them and they missed it.

yes indeed and though they were going to check former students of the college there they failed to check him and when they were taking dna samples after Marine Hedge's murder they failed to get his though he lived about 5 doors from her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46