NY - Internet search history results in LE visit

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Aug 1, 2013.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

New York woman visited by police after researching pressure cookers online
    Long Island resident said her web search history and 'trying to learn how to cook lentils' prompted a visit from authorities
    more, with an account of the visit, at the Guardian link above

2. Jetaime

Jetaime Member

I understand the whole profiling thing, but I can also see how alarms might be set off.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

3. Woe.be.gone

Woe.be.gone Well-Known Member

Definitely kind of freaky - especially for people like us who are always looking up weird stuff due to the cases we follow. But to have those specific elements come together like they did would be an unlucky coincidence. What regular person knew about the criminal use of pressure cookers before the Boston bombings? I certainly didn't. Even when a mistake though, I'd rather LE be safe than sorry (until they knock on my door?), as long as they're really good at discerning when people are telling the truth or not.

4. tezi

tezi Member of Websleuths since 2000.

Well, I guess I should be expecting my visit soon then...Just joking, sort of...

JMO

5. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Anyone who googled "cyanide overnight" (perhaps in re: the death of Dr. Autumn Klein; we have a thread) should be on their toes.

6. Jetaime

Jetaime Member

lol. I'm sure if it were any one or 2 of those combinations, LE "probably" wouldn't have acted. The pressure cooker, the backpacks, the Boston bombing etc. I guess its kind of good someones paying attention.? I'm sure many only wish the Boston brothers would have been halted before it came to what it did. Id be willing to give up some liberties with the slight possibility of terroristic intervention.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

7. Donamena

Donamena Former Member

Lentils don't require a pressure cooker. They cook fast. Red beans, etc. yes, but not lentils.

8. KALI

KALI On Time Out

That's almost funny. Except it's actually scary. Heck, I do love my pressure cooker!

9. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Well-Known Member

FWIW - I have cooked quinoa in my slow cooker. the real stuff, not the brown rice blend.

10. Skittles

Skittles Well-Known Member

Lots more at:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/08/government-knocking-doors-because-google-searches/67864/

11. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

LOL we have often joked on here that if LE ever had to look on our computers for some reason, it would at the very least raise some eyebrows. And could possibly make some look guilty of something. LOL it looks like it did for them.

Actually I am kinda surprised that some here weren't investigated after the bombing. I know some were looking up info on pressure cookers, pressure cooker bombs and when they were trying to identify the bombers I believe some even looked up back packs. So maybe we should be prepared......

But like others have said. If they catch me googling in such a suspicious pattern, they are more than welcome to come talk to me....... could add a little excitement to my boring life.

To the terrorist task force...... if you are coming for me, please make sure the people you send are male, good looking and single?
    (And please be warned.... I will probably insist on a hug to thank you for all you do to keep us safe.)

12. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Hmm....appears to be more to this:
    more here: How A Paranoid Blogger Made Everyone Scared to Google Pressure Cookers. (Gawker)

13. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

While I believe the woman, I'm not so sure I believe the story that the employer originated the investigation. IIRC, according to the wife's blog article, she and her husband did separate searches for the different items. So, unless they both work at the same place and use the same computer, this explanation doesn't work.

14. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

It could go either way. She could be lying about the circumstances of the searches too.

15. txsvicki

txsvicki Active Member

I guess they learned about quinoa.

16. AlwaysShocked

AlwaysShocked Well-Known Member

The article does not say the employer gave the tip. It says a computer company gave the tip.

And not trying to be snarky at all, but just goes to show that even when it is written in black and white, people get the facts all screwed up! We see it all the time here on websleuths - whether it is something written or something that was said on a TV show.

17. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

Am I the only one who finds it slightly odd that the police knows what people googled but seem to be unaware where they're from and who their parents are? Don't they do any kind of a background check before barging in? It's not difficult to find out where my parents are from.

18. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

Perhaps a laptop that travels with the employee and may occasionally be used by family members to quickly google something when he brought it home and set it up on the kitchen table?

19. LaLaw2000

LaLaw2000 Louisiana

I don't own a pressure cooker because I'm afraid of them! I know that is crazy, but I am!

I use my slow cooker most of the time.

20. longtallcold

longtallcold What happened to Nancy Jenkins?

I read this story and first thought also were all the times we say - we are screwed if LE searches our computers LOL