NY NY - Jennifer Hammond, 19, Ballston Spa, Aug 2003

What a weird coincidence! I JUST looked at Jennifer's Charley Project page yesterday and was wondering about her. Then first thing I see this morning is she has been found. Poor girl. It seems like this was a crime of opportunity and she was in the wrong place and the wrong time.

This poor girl - what could have happened to her. does her employer no more than they are sharing?
The company sounds questionable at best! Here is a comment from one parent about it:
my son left central oregon with this company on a road crew. he called me two to three times a week for the first month he was gone and the stories he told me were horrible. even their most basic needs were not being met, they didn't get paid but their money was sent away to somewhere. they were starving and sleeping in tents in a campground...big difference from the phoenix inn where they stayed originally while "in trianing" in bend oregon prior to hitting the road. last call i got he made from a strangers borrowed cell phone and the call was cut short because "someone had seen him" and i have not been able to locate him or have heard absolutely nothing from his since that call on july 3 of 2008. our family is actively seeking my son as are other families in our area who had children leave on that recruiting bus. the local police and sheriff departments refuse to file missing persons reports because they are adults who left on their own accord and are not at risk to anyone or themselves and have no known medical problems that require medication. we are at out wits end on where to turn with this. finally the site "parentwatch" is helping with some of the basics that we couldn't locate on our own such as just the company name. the kids were told that it was atlantic publications international which is non existent. which makes me wonder just how much bull they have told these kids and what they are actually doing to them and with the money collected for the magazines i'm now reading have been ordered and payed for but never delivered as well as other kids horror stories about the road crews, long hours, lack of basic necessities and their escapes. more people need to be aware and many need help
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/atlantic-circulation-inc-c147051.html

Another teen murdered after going to work for Atlantic Circulation:
Missing teen found dead in Memphis
LEBANON - Catherine Barbour of Lebanon received devastating news this week: Her 19-year-old daughter, missing since November, had been found dead in Memphis, Tenn.

Tracy Onawa Jones, 19, formerly of Albany, went missing on Nov. 15 from a truck stop near Galloway, Ark., outside of Little Rock. She had been working since late June for Pennsylvania-based Atlantic Circulation, Inc., which solicits magazine subscriptions door-to-door.
http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/article_1327f204-0a2a-5116-a3dc-43a4af82ccdb.html
The article is gone, but I did find this blurb:Temple Daily Telegram (10/28/2000): http://www.temple-telegram.com/archives/2000/n1028.htm

* Three teen-agers hired by Atlantic Circulation of Mountville, Pa., to sell magazine subscriptions were stranded in Temple, TX after being left without money or transportation. The three say they were promised $20 a day during their training, which was rarely paid, and told that the company would provide a bus ticket home if they decided to quit. They decided to quit Atlantic Circulation but, but the company failed to come through with a bus ticket.
And this:
As of May 6, 2009:
Over 300 Documented High Profile Criminal Felony Cases
With 86 Documented Deaths
http://www.travelingsalescrews.info/
And this from Inside Edition:An Inside Edition investigation has found that many young people are being exploited by a nationwide scheme of magazine sales that rip off consumers, endanger the youngsters, and has made the owner of one sales company fabulously wealthy.
http://www.travelingsalescrews.info...- EXPLOITED YOUNGSTERS SELLING MAGAZINES.html

So you have teens and young adults going door to door selling magazine subscriptions that people may never get, in strange places far away from home. All for a whopping $20 a day and the promise of a bus ticket home, which is pretty worthless if you've been murdered. Why is this still going on?

I guess it is never to late to hope for answers huh? I hope with this identification there is a family who feels a small measure of peace.

One of the pages I looked at yesterday had Jennifer Hammond & a couple of other kids who were missing after working for magazine sales organizations. It makes you wonder - how many kids end up like Jennifer?

Another angle, there was another murder in this area not far from Jennifer, this one was a local girl, who was also 19. Christina N. White was murdered in 2005.

http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Wan...w.cfm?ID=ad2dee8e-48c2-4e69-98a7-e630d3ae4a51
Another Ballston Spa Trailer Park & another 19 year old who's skeletal remains were found in Greenfield. That is more than a coinsidence, imo

Another Ballston Spa Trailer Park & another 19 year old who's skeletal remains were found in Greenfield. That is more than a coinsidence, imo

I stumbled across Jennifer's story at the end of 2007, when I was looking for more info about the three missing locals who were getting coverage back then but I don't recall hearing about Christina prior to your post. Agree this is more than a coincidence, and here goes something else. I'm not sure if you know, but they were both found in State Forests. Christina in Daketown, and Jennifer in Lake Desolation. I didn't even know LD was a State Forest until I fired up Google Earth a few minutes ago, although now that I think about it... I just want to slap my forehead and say "DUH!".

It blows my mind that there wasn't a connection in the media at least, given the similarity and closeness of the places that they were last seen, and the fact they share similar attributes (age, sex, height, weight and the fact that they both (from the pictures I have seen) looked much younger than they were).

Ugh. We were looking at mobile homes in both those parks before our last move, before we found a cheap apartment.

I wonder if there are others who have disappeared in similar circumstances but who haven't been reported missing for some reason or another. Or people from surrounding counties...

Didn't it say 10-12?
She is 18
so that really is a ball park age..wonder if other cases have gone unsolved due to ballpark age differences?

The girls even looked similar, from the Albany TU today:

First published in print: Saturday, October 31, 2009
MILTON -- Christina White and Jennifer Hammond were two young women who police believe were killed less than two years apart, their bodies dumped in the Daketown Forest area of Greenfield

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=860035#ixzz0VYn3jUFX

I stumbled across Jennifer's story at the end of 2007, when I was looking for more info about the three missing locals who were getting coverage back then but I don't recall hearing about Christina prior to your post. Agree this is more than a coincidence, and here goes something else. I'm not sure if you know, but they were both found in State Forests. Christina in Daketown, and Jennifer in Lake Desolation. I didn't even know LD was a State Forest until I fired up Google Earth a few minutes ago, although now that I think about it... I just want to slap my forehead and say "DUH!".

It blows my mind that there wasn't a connection in the media at least, given the similarity and closeness of the places that they were last seen, and the fact they share similar attributes (age, sex, height, weight and the fact that they both (from the pictures I have seen) looked much younger than they were).

Ugh. We were looking at mobile homes in both those parks before our last move, before we found a cheap apartment.

I wonder if there are others who have disappeared in similar circumstances but who haven't been reported missing for some reason or another. Or people from surrounding counties...

I drive by the trailer park on Middle line road all the time, on my way to Saratoga. It definately makes me nervous, wondering if we don't have a killer living close by.

Didn't it say 10-12?
She is 18
so that really is a ball park age..wonder if other cases have gone unsolved due to ballpark age differences?

I think a lot of cases involving younger people can miss IDs because of a misinterpretation of age. However, it's easy to see how that happened in this case since the victim looks more like a young teen than an 18 year old (from the photo on Charley) and they probably didn't study bone shafts, etc. since the bones were found and IDed very quickly. In cases where an UID is found and goes a long time without being IDed there's more likely to be an investigation by a forensic anthropologist trying to determine factors like age, race, etc.

Sara Anne Woods was the first person I thought of. I lived in Albany during the trial, and that scumbucket would not reveal what he did with her body. :(
According to comments on the above link, it looks like the police are already ruling out Jaliek Rainwalker. I wonder why, when DNA hasn't been done yet?

Sara Ann Wood is another possibility, though her accused killer claimed to have buried her 100 miles away.

Anyone know of anyone missing in W. Mass?

I find that newspaper article pretty disturbing on many levels..

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=860035#ixzz0VYn3jUFX

They're just now, "dusting off files of a convicted kidnapper" and taking a "new look" at White's murder even tho she went missing in the same area that Hammond did?

Figuring out Hammond and White were both wlast seen alive in or near mobile home parks along Geyser Road within 2 yrs of each other?

The lead detective says now.."If it's not John Regan, do you have a serial killer?" Catone said in an interview Friday. "You have a couple homicides, with both victims found in the same place." No **** sherlock! This is ludicrious that he would make a statement like that! Does he really think there is NO correlation?

Then we have County Sheriff James Bowen saying in an interview Friday that area residents shouldn't worry about a killer on the loose.( WHAT??? Why wouldn't people worry when 2 girls have been abducted from the same area and found murdered?) He said police handling the cases are open to "everything and anything," including reopening the files of Regan, who had been investigated as a possible suspect in the White case in 2006

"We're not going to speculate on what we are doing or how we are doing it," Bowen said

I'm sure the people in the area are really pleased that the cops aren't going to speculate on what they're doing..

I'm sorry, I'm definitely pro LE, hell I was married to one for 10 years! but this sounds really awful to me. Shoddy. LE sounds bored and arrogant in their statements. Truly, they should be ashamed! They should at least try to sound like they're pursuing these cases vigorously, that these girls were important, that they are in contact with the families, pursuing all leads, etc...

UGH...Bless these 2 girls souls and peace and comfort to their families..

I know! jeesh!!!

so two girls disappear from the SAME AREA, and their remains are found in the SAME AREA - but they aren't sure if they have a serial killer?

DUH - I'd say odds of two girls taken from the same place and ending up with remains found in the same location being a coincidence are about a million to one.

sometimes I just want to scream at my computer screen, this is one of those times.

http://www.oneidadispatch.com/general-news/20140623/unsolved-homicides-missing-persons-challenge-law-enforcement

Jennifer Hammond, 18, of Littleton, Colo., went missing from a Milton mobile home park where she was last seen selling magazines in August 2003.

Her remains and those of Christina White, 19, who lived at a different Milton mobile home community, were found three years apart in remote wooded areas of Greenfield, suggesting a possible connection between their disappearances...

“It’s very frustrating,” Saratoga County Sheriff Michael Zurlo said. “It bothers you. These people have families who want to know what happened.”

2 homicides possibly linked
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/2-homicides-possibly-linked-Saratoga-County-10940935.php

Two red-headed young women disappeared in the early 2000s from mobile home parks in Milton. Years later, hunters found their remains less than five miles apart, hidden deep in the woods of Greenfield. Neither slaying has been solved.

"They lived in close proximity of each other," he said. One was 18 years old, the other was 19 when they disappeared on summer days two years apart.

Investigators do know one thing: their deaths are most likely related.

Hammond was from Littleton, Colo., but had been staying in an Albany hotel with five other co-workers. All of her belongings were left there when she vanished. She'd made arrangements for a bus ticket home but the ticket was never picked up and she had no further contact with her family.

Six years after her disappearance, a hunter found human skull fragments and three teeth on the ground deep in the woods near Lake Desolation in Greenfield on Oct. 25, 2009. A State Police forensic expert confirmed the remains were Hammond's.

Nineteen-year-old Christina White was reported missing in 2005. She was last seen by family members the night of June 30 leaving her home in Saratoga Village mobile home park in Milton. Witnesses told police they saw White walking along the road near Geyser Road and Rowland Street.

A year later, on March 10, 2006, a hunter found her skeleton remains in the Daketown Forest in Greenfield. Authorities believe she was stabbed to death.

Another teen murdered after going to work for Atlantic Circulation:
Missing teen found dead in Memphis
LEBANON - Catherine Barbour of Lebanon received devastating news this week: Her 19-year-old daughter, missing since November, had been found dead in Memphis, Tenn.

Tracy Onawa Jones, 19, formerly of Albany, went missing on Nov. 15 from a truck stop near Galloway, Ark., outside of Little Rock. She had been working since late June for Pennsylvania-based Atlantic Circulation, Inc., which solicits magazine subscriptions door-to-door.
http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/article_1327f204-0a2a-5116-a3dc-43a4af82ccdb.html
The article is gone, but I did find this blurb:Temple Daily Telegram (10/28/2000): http://www.temple-telegram.com/archives/2000/n1028.htm

Can someone tell me if Tracy Onawa Jones has a thread on this forum?
I'm horrible at using the search feature.

Can someone tell me if Tracy Onawa Jones has a thread on this forum?
I'm horrible at using the search feature.

There is not. I'd be happy to start a thread for Tracy though if you're interested in starting a discussion!

I'm trying to get my 10 posts in so I can start a thread for her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back