NY - Jordan Neely, killed by chokehold in subway during mental health crisis, Manhattan, 1 May 2023 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It absolutely sounds like he was acting threatening and that other riders were in fear. But to jump straight to a chokehold without the man starting an attack is OVERKILL. Literally. There are many other ways that other riders could have subdued and restrained Neely without killing him.

Agree with this. If you look back at my posts, I've always stated that the choke-hold shouldn't have been done, especially since DP obviously didn't do this properly. But, I can still see why people were justifiably afraid of JN.

So, given that a good # of people in that subway were justifiably afraid of what JN was going to do, what was the solution?!:

1) Should everyone that felt threatened gotten up en masse & moved to another car, which is something JN would certainly have noticed?!
2) Should they have moved to another car one at a time, so as not to set JN off?!
3) Should one or more of them have "teamed up" and tried to restrain JN without using a choke-hold? That may have worked.
4) Should everyone have waited until JN attacked one of them, and then defended themselves?!

I honestly don't have an answer here.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t an ex-Marine know how to shut someone up other than using a chokehold? I’ve tried to keep an open mind but his fatal use of excessive force seems outrageous. I wouldn’t call him a hero. I would call him an involved citizen who thought he needed to intervene based his own sense of urgency. I don’t blame him. As an outspoken unafraid old lady, I would have immediately spoken up and got in the face of a public disrupter. Really, sometimes words can be as powerful as physical confrontations. Penny went too far but I don’t think he ever thought Neely would die until it was too late. His adrenaline and testosterone was in climax mode by then and he couldn’t stop it.

Again, you are spot on. As an older lady, I feel it's a privilege (so far never causing me any harm) to be able to be outspoken and unafraid. We had a homeless mentally ill person with a knife on campus two weeks ago. I went over to watch the incident go down, as I usually do. There were two of us older women there.

Who is going to pay for more mental health beds for those in need without resources? Have you ever tried to get a stabilization bed in NYC. It is quite difficult unless you have good private insurance or money. No insurance or state insurance and you are out of luck and will go on a waiting list. GOD do I wish we still had the institutions open that were closed under Reagan. You used to be able to get these kind of people committed in one long term.

Yes this was a "bad dude". But the Marine did not know that at the time. He had not read that staffing note.

NYC is one of the wealthiest states in one of the world's wealthiest nations. We need to do better.

1% of the population is schizophrenic (worldwide) but since many schizophrenics migrate or are sent to big cities, there are more in big cities. 1% of the population is schizoaffective. About 1% or slightly more are Bipolar I. With just those three diagnoses, we have 3% of the population (in our schools, on our streets, everywhere) as mentally ill and needing care. Most people with these diagnoses will require hospitalization and probably need a longer stay than what they're getting.

Other nations handle this situation more rationally, IMO. But the upshot is that instead of allowing the collection of unlimited wealth, we have to have taxes to help the poor and needy. Something is deeply wrong with how we're dividing up our social pie. It's amazing to me that NYC has this "task force" with helpers who are sent out when one of the "50" is spotted, but then, they do not proceed legally (if the person has an arrest warrant) or socially (what good is a shelter going to do an actively psychotic person; it simply endangers others at the shelter).

Other groups of people also experience psychosis (Major Depression - 5% of the global population). There are several people here on WS who have mentioned their own struggles with this diagnosis.

So, at least 8% of the population in desperate need of longterm mental health care (including state of the art medications - which other nations can supply at far less cost), we have allowed our own nation to focus on spending its money elsewhere. I think it's rather obvious how this has happened. Let me also mention that most of these illnesses come on during the late teen years, which means that high schools and colleges also have to have plans in place to help with this. Nationally funded mental health insurance would be nice.

As it is, we choose the *most* expensive ways to help people (one at a time? no inpatient treatment? no money to pay for psychiatric nurses and doctors?) There used to be talks, late last century, about optimizing all kinds of services (public transit, mobile mental health care, etc) in the most cost-effective ways possible, but the politics of spending money on helping the mentally ill are at play. Now, people seem to have the impression that we're out of money (despite our incredibly consumerist lifestyle).

IMO.

Agree with this. If you look back at my posts, I've always stated that the choke-hold shouldn't have been done, especially since DP obviously didn't do this properly. But, I can still see why people were justifiably afraid of JN.

So, given that a good # of people in that subway were justifiably afraid of what JN was going to do, what was the solution?!:

1) Should everyone that felt threatened gotten up en masse & moved to another car, which is something JN would certainly have noticed?!
2) Should they have moved to another car one at a time, so as not to set JN off?!
3) Should one or more of them "teamed up" and tried to restrain JN without using a choke-hold, even though they didn't know if he had any weapons on him?!
4) Should have they waited until JN attacked one or more of them - and then defended themselves?!

I think that other riders could have subdued and restrained him in a manner that would not cause his death.

Just saying. Daniel Penny was brave to step in as how would he have known something like this wouldn’t have happened?

As it is, we choose the *most* expensive ways to help people (one at a time? no inpatient treatment? no money to pay for psychiatric nurses and doctors?) There used to be talks, late last century, about optimizing all kinds of services (public transit, mobile mental health care, etc) in the most cost-effective ways possible, but the politics of spending money on helping the mentally ill are at play. Now, people seem to have the impression that we're out of money (despite our incredibly consumerist lifestyle).

BINGO! This problem has no chance of getting better without more money to create more mental health beds and better treatment provided to the people in those beds.

Let's hope he can get a fair trial, they may have to change venue for that to be possible.
I think he can get a fair trial- and it maybe advantageous to stay in NYC.

This case pro defense and con defense, this case could well be centered on interpretation: Were Neely's shouts that he was willing to receive a life sentence, that he "could kill MF'ers" indications that he was going to actually attack?

There seems to be a growing number of New Yorkers who though not vigilantes, are also just fed up with subway assaults and subway chaos- including unpredictable and ranting homeless in close quarters. This jury pool could lean pro defense.

Going to the 'burbs in a change of venue, one could start getting more upper income people who dont ride the subways and think that there are no situations that milk, cookies, and calming music cant resolve.

From the defense point of view, instead of risking wealthy surburbanites from "ivory towers", I would really look hard for EMTs like @IceIce9 as jury members. My hope would be that she could impress upon fellow jury members that:

- She does not support vigilantism, does not spend her time boning up on " defensive combat situations" in glossy survivalist magazines.

- She also knows from real world experience that "milk and cookies" cant defuse all situations. Likewise, she also knows from real experience that attacks by people who are disturbed, drugged, or both, can be "full on- no limits" and that people can get very hurt, very fast.

I would also want @MassGuy on the jury as well. But.... with his Marine experience and possible weapons permit, I am thinking the prosecution would strike him "fast and furiously".

Last edited:

3) Should one or more of them "teamed up" and tried to restrain JN without using a choke-hold, even though they didn't know if he had anything sharp (knife, etc.) on him?!
4) Should have they waited until JN attacked one or more of them - and then defended themselves?!

BBM
That's not a given at this time, based on currently available witness statements.

I think that other riders could have subdued and restrained him in a manner that would not cause his death.
And yet no one even attempted to restrain him except the 3 guys that did. So, we could "what if" all day but, the 3 guys that did step up... well, one is now facing felony criminal charges and the other two went on about their lives I guess.

It's a good bet now, based on how this all went down... men that MIGHT have stepped up in the future, now will absolutely not. It's a twisted world we live in.

jmo

I think he can get a fair trial- and it maybe advantageous to stay in NYC.

This case pro defense and con defense, this case could well be centered on interpretation: Were Neely's shouts that he was willing to receive a life sentence, that he "could kill MF'ers" indications that he was going to actually attack?

There seems to be a growing number of New Yorkers who though not vigilantes, are also just fed up with subway assaults and subway chaos- including unpredictable and ranting homeless in close quarters. This jury pool could lean pro defense.

Going to the 'burbs in a change of venue, one could start getting more upper income people who dont ride the subways and think that there are no situations that milk, cookies, and calming music cant resolve.

From the defense point of view, instead of risking wealthy surburbanites from "white towers", I would really look hard for EMTs like @IceIce9 as jury members. My hope would be that she could impress upon fellow jury members that:

- She does not support vigilantism, does not spend her time boning up on " defensive combat situations" in glossy survivalist magazines.

- She also knows from real world experience that "milk and cookies" cant defuse all situations. Likewise, she also knows from real experience that attacks by people who are disturbed, drugged, or both can be "full on- no limits" and that people can get very hurt, very fast.

I would also want @MassGuy on the jury as well. But.... with his Marine experience and possible weapons permit, I am thinking the prosecution would strike him "fast and furiously".
Although, glossy survivalist magazines are actually quite entertaining. :cool:

BBM
That's not a given at this time, based on currently available witness statements.

I respectfully disagree with this. There were at least three additional people we know of that felt threatened by JN on that subway car - other than DP:

The 66-year old woman mentioned in the NY Post article (previously mentioned on this thread)

The two men who helped DP restrain JN. I.e., it doesn't make any sense that they would help with the restraint if they didn't agree with what he was doing & why he was doing this.

Been following along silently this whole time because it's been an interesting debate. Good points made on both sides, imo- gives everyone something to think about and ponder no matter which side (or middle ground) your opinion on the matter lies.

It's a shame this whole ordeal resulted in a death. I see both sides: the mentally ill can sometimes be victimized, misunderstood or mistreated and on the other end of the spectrum, they can also sometimes be excused or absolved of inappropriate or illegal behavior

I'm not a fan of either ends of that spectrum.

I live in a large city and encounter people with similarities to this gentleman on the daily. Those interactions can be perhaps persistant & annoying or uncomfortable but otherwise harmless in most cases. There have been a couple though that were quite alarming and downright scary

i dont know what the answer is- Expecting the general untrained and inexperienced public to accurately & very quickly decipher harmless from threatening is a big ask. Bad decisions on either end can happen in a moment.

Again, I dont know what the answer is.. guess this is a pointless post of random thoughts, sorry. :)

And yet no one even attempted to restrain him except the 3 guys that did. So, we could "what if" all day but, the 3 guys that did step up... well, one is now facing felony criminal charges and the other two went on about their lives I guess.

It's a good bet now, based on how this all went down... men that MIGHT have stepped up in the future, now will absolutely not. It's a twisted world we live in.

jmo

Instead, we will have those who will absolutely hold their phones, and press record..

Because that helps...

:rolleyes:

It's a shame this whole ordeal resulted in a death. I see both sides: the mentally ill can sometimes be victimized, misunderstood or mistreated and on the other end of the spectrum, they can also sometimes be excused or absolved of inappropriate or illegal behavior

I'm not a fan of either ends of that spectrum.

I live in a large city and encounter people with similarities to this gentleman on the daily. Those interactions can be perhaps persistent & annoying or uncomfortable but otherwise harmless in most cases. There have been a couple though that were quite alarming and downright scary

i dont know what the answer is- Expecting the general untrained and inexperienced public to accurately & very quickly decipher harmless from threatening is a big ask. Bad decisions on either end can happen in a moment.

Again, I dont know what the answer is.. guess this is a pointless post of random thoughts, sorry. :)

Agree with all of this. As I've stated earlier, if you don't live in a large urban environment & encounter disturbed/deranged/unhinged homeless/mentally ill people on a regular basis, you honestly don't have the experience to know what this is like. These encounters can range from irritating to dangerous. I've seen disturbed people scream/rant and rave one second, and then act completely calm the next. I've seen people talking to themselves & they seem to be harmless - but how do any of us know for sure?!

I.e., people like this can be & are (in many cases) extremely unpredictable.

Agree with all of this. As I've stated earlier, if you don't live in a large urban environment & encounter disturbed/deranged/unhinged homeless/mentally ill people on a regular basis, you honestly don't have the experience to know what this is like. These encounters can range from irritating to dangerous. I've seen disturbed people scream/rant and rave one second, and then act completely calm the next. I've seen people talking to themselves & they seem to be harmless - but how do any of us know for sure?!

I.e., people like this can be & are (in many cases) extremely unpredictable.
Exactly.People say move to another car.I have done this and been followed and harrassed worse.

jmo
I fail to see how the marine couldn't have simply taken Neely down initially and the other two just helped restrain him until LE could respond.

Exactly.People say move to another car.I have done this and been followed and harrassed worse.

And what if the person causing the angst is working with a partner -- who blocks the aisle to the next car?

How does society encourage intervention rather than videography?

A woman was raped on a train in Philly -- plenty of video but zero intervention:

3) Should one or more of them "teamed up" and tried to restrain JN without using a choke-hold, even though they didn't know if he had any weapons on him?!

I don't see how an en masse exodus could have been easily organized, but 2) was always an option. What I don't understand, having lived in various European cities with subways, is why NYC can't afford more security on trains (there are often 4-8 security people in major European subway stations - and they take turns being on the trains themselves).

Is there any security at all down in the subway? The number of police who showed up for this event was astonishing to me. But where were the train security people?

At any rate, moving away from the incident of threat is a normal human reaction. I suppose if it were in a different state, someone might have shot him (and gotten away with it under the law).

5) would be leaving the train altogether (I haven't read anything about how far between stops this car was when the incident occurred). I would love to know if the passengers spoke about this once Penny had taken the man into the chokehold.

When I lived in San Francisco, I knew men who carried zip ties with them for circumstances like this. One of them was my brother-in-law. He also studied martial arts and did in fact help subdue more than one mentally ill person - on buses and BART. BART still has problems, but my friends who use it do not say that they feel they're in constant fear.

But what it sounds like, to me, is that other options were not considered because people were so afraid.

I would love to know how many of the passengers had seen Neely before or seen him be even more belligerent. I also assume that passengers did not know whether Neely was armed.

At any rate, if I were actually afraid, I'd change cars. And, if I felt in fear of my life, as it appears people did, I'd have dialed 911 AND changed cars. The police did respond to the 911 call fairly promptly. I guess people on that car must have been too afraid to mention that they had dialed 911 (some had). No one took the role of organizing a mass exodus (the Marine could have stood duty at the exit doors and the two men who helped him could have managed the other door, so that Neely did not follow into the next car). A body block at the car door would have been in order.

However, if the fear was that Neely was armed, then I do understand the mentality of the passengers.

It's my understanding that many of the "50" most needy mentally ill homeless in NYC basically live within the subway system (something that is not permitted in some other large urban areas - it takes effort to solve it though - and money).

IMO.

I respectfully disagree with this. There were at least three additional people we know of that felt threatened by JN on that subway car - other than DP:

The 66-year old woman mentioned in the NY Post article (previously mentioned on this thread)

The two men who helped DP restrain JN. I.e., it doesn't make any sense that they would help with the restraint if they didn't agree with what he was doing & why he was doing this.

I want to be clear that the 66 year old who thanked Penny is NOT the 66 year old woman who was brutally attacked by Neely. She was just a regular subway rider, at least according to the NYP article you mention (there are several NYP articles on this story, I've linked the one who mentions the grateful woman.

All around the internet, I'm seeing that woman being confused (and stated definitively to be) the woman who had her nose broken by Neely. The assaulted woman was also 66.

And I think this all unfolded so quickly that the two men "helping" had very little time to reflect on what Penny was doing and why. I think they thought they were helping to notify Penny of changes in Neely's physical states - hoping that once he went limp (in their minds, merely unconscious?) that Penny would loosen the hold (which is the only ethical way to use a chokehold, IMO). I don't think any of the three men had thought through what was going on - they were just reacting.

We at home are the ones who have time to sit and discuss it. Helping to restrain Neely in no way indicates to me that the two men knew that the chokehold was not going to be released or that it would be fatal.

IMO.

I fail to see how the marine couldn't have simply taken Neely down initially and the other two just helped restrain him until LE could respond.
the problem with the video we see (the 3 minute one) is that Neely is already restrained- we do not see what he was doing in the beginning. The car looks empty- so did the restraint of Neely allow other people to leave? Or was it all superfluous? People are saying that the restraint was too long and that Neely should have been let loose well before he was seriously injured, but if you are restraining some one whom you think is dangerous, aren't you afraid that when you let go, the person will pop back and attack? It is not like a medical situation in which he could be given a tranquilzer, if his actions were that threatening, IMO. I posted this link before about cameras in trains: MTA will install cameras in every subway train car to curb crime, increase safety

sort of assuming that LE has more footage(?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member