NY NY - Judith Brown, 19, Queens, 6 April 1977

Rosefinch

Reaction score
I apologise if this case has already been posted but I couldn't find a thread for her when I searched.

Here is her Namus link -

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/3070/423

Here is her sister's website about her -

http://annclay.wixsite.com/avoice4judithbrown/information

And here a a blog post about her disappearance -

https://andtheywere.wordpress.com/2016/05/26/vanished-with-a-killer-judith-ann-brown/

I tend to take an optimistic view of many of the old missing persons cases; records and i.d. checks were less rigorous, casual employment was more easily obtained and it was much easier to leave home, start afresh and live out your life in anonymity back then. I like to think a lot of the missing teenagers from the 50s/60s/70s ran away with a sweetheart who their family wouldn't have accepted and lived a quiet, unexceptional life.

However, even I can't help but think that Judith Brown is unlikely to have found a happier life by running away and must be considered very much at risk of harm; a teenager with mental health problems of her own, in the company of an older man convicted of murdering his wife and baby.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/brown_judith.html

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LostNMissingInc/photos/?tab=album&album_id=937319622948597

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/82542605641194835/

I think this case did not get the press it should have. I believe there was too much going on in NYC during this time. There was the Son of Sam, there was the blackout of 77 with all of the looting and then there were the escaped prisioners of Rikers all around the same time. This case in my eyes fell through the cracks. I have been having thoughts that Judith Anne's boyfriend Richard Riesenberg/Reisenberg could of gone out there and changed his identity.

this is really good.. give a little more information on Richard.. pretty scary that he was able to just walk out just like that

Insanity was his defense. And the verdict was not guilty by reason of insanity for the murder of his 25‐year‐old wife and his 17‐month‐old son.
It was more than a momentary flash of violence. He stabbed her 60 times with a kitchen knife. Then he went into the baby's room, taped his mouth shut, and strangled him with an electric cord. In court testimony, Richard Reisenberg said he killed the child because he was the only witness to his wife's murder.
Following the normal route of all defendants acquitted because of insanity, Mr. Reisenberg received a year of treatment at a secure, closely guarded psychiatric facility. Then he was transferred to Creedmoor Psychiatric Center in Queens, a non‐secure civil hospital.

After settling in at Creedmoor, Mr. Reisenberg availed himself of these privileges and enjoyed a number of months of coming and going at will. He was supposed to be under light security, always accompanied while on the grounds, but in reality he left on his own dozens of times.
T aste for Gourmet Foods
His taste for gourmet foods, weekend entertainment such as movies and bailgames and other activities were supported in part at least, by a settlement on his late wife's life insurance policy. Anyone found guilty of a crime cannot collect on such policies, but since Mr. Reisenberg was found not guilty (because of insanity), by law he could collect. His share was $11,362, or two‐thirds of the $17,042 settlement. The remaining one‐third or $5,680, went to the parents of his deceased wife.
Finally, last April, a new ward supervisor learned of the excursions and wrote a recommendation that he be transferred back to a locked hospital where his freedom would be kept in check. It was not to be.
People close to the case say Mr. Reisenberg somehow found out about the letter and that day he walked out the gates of Creedmoor for the last time. He has not been seen since. Police have an all‐points arrest warrant out, but thus far, for six months, he has eluded them.

According to interviews with people who knew him and official documents, Richard Reisenberg's problems started surfacing in the Brooklyn school system when he was 13. Several of his teachers noticed an unusual paranoid behavior and recommended psychotherapy. His condition in those early years was described ??y psychiatrists as a “schizoid personal??ty with a possible onset of schizophrenic discrder,” By age 15 he had made two ??uicide attempts.

College precipitated more trouble because of the pressure to succeed. Although he had an IQ of 141, he could riot finish his second year. According to psychiatric testimony in the trial, he always pushed himself with a desire to pe No. 1, but the more he pushed, the more troubled he became.
Marriage raised the pressure to the preaking point. He was Jewish and Di??nne, his wife, was Roman Catholic. They tarried against his parent's wishes. She suffered from cataracts and would probaply have gone blind. Their son, Andrew, lad been born with apparent brain damage and there was the possibility he night grow up retarded.
Psychiatrists testified that the combination of his relationships with other women, an intensely desired promotion hat fell through, and a short‐lived drinking problem were the catalysts that led ??o the killings in the Glen Oaks section of Queens in early 1971.
Thus began his acquaintance with the coute many before him had taken through the state psychiatric facilities. He was initially found unfit to proceed to trial and sent to Matteawan Psychiatric Cencer, then the secure facility in New York. In early 1972, he was transferred to Creedmoor, where three months later he attempted suicide again by slashing his wrists, requiring 37 stitches. Later he ried to hang himself.

His att??nding physicians said his guilt feelings, Mars of amnesia, fears of another breakdown, and the Approach of his late son's birthday pushed him to the acts. But late in the year he had calmed down and was judged fit to stand trial.
After the March 1973 trial where he was acquitted by reason of mental disease, he was readmitted to Creedmoor. Within a year he had submitted his first application for release, which all patients are entitled to do at any time.

Only the few quiet strollers watched as an observer toured the grounds and buildings—the community store where Mr. Reisenberg worked, the gym where a group of youths were playing basketball, open entrances to a vast network of underground tunnels linking Creedmoor's many and diverse buildings and wards.
Only a groaning man in a barred room with no glass watched over the open entrance to Building 4, a security building. Inside a sign on an open door reminded: “Keep Closed After 4:30 P.M.” and a sign on a second open door warned “Keep Closed At All Times.” Richard Reisenberg used to live in Building 4.

“We've had incidents before where a patient has escaped and committed another violent crime,” Detective Harold Walters of Queen said. “We are not just worried about getting Richie back, but he's got a 19‐year‐old girlfriend with him.”

Seems like he has been suicidal as well as violent but is quiet and able to hold down a job. I wish there was somewhere to find an actual photo of this guy and height weight hair color anything. Its weird how they only have a drawing of him. he must of had an ID of the hospital or booking photo with info when he was arrested for killing his wife and kid..

Just a long shot..my thoughts he changed his identity and possibly he did kill Judith..unless she changed her identity also?
Richard Reisenberg/Riesenberg vanished in April of 1977 and this guy in September 1978 starts living his life as Joseph Newton Chandler .Just wish we had height and other info on Richard.. I believe I read somewhere that he was 25 when he killed his wife and kid in 1971.

OH - Eastlake, WhtMale 454UMOH, 70, alias 'Joseph Newton Chandler III', Jul'02
http://doenetwork.org/cases/454umoh.html

This is a very interesting story. I don't think it has been posted here at WS.

Unidentified Male

The victim was discovered on July 30, 2002 in Eastlake, Ohio.
Cause of Death was suicide

Estimated age: 70 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"; 160 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Graying brown hair; gray eyes. He wore eye-glasses.
Dentals: Available
Case History
The unidentified male had gone by the name Joseph Newton Chandler III, the name of a 9-year-old boy who died in a car wreck on U.S. Highway 82 in 1945, along with his parents as they traveled from Tulsa to Weatherford for the Christmas season. It's as if the unidentified man walked through the cemetery, looking for someone whose identity could be assumed.
Police believe John Doe and Joe Chandler III would have been about the same age, a contributing factor in John Doe's decision to become Joe Chandler. After Eastlake Police used dental records to verify the deceased John Doe was known as Joseph Chandler, they closed the case, listing it as a suicide.
The probate courts worked through his estate, which included an $82,000 legacy. They contacted Joe Chandler's relatives in the east, and that's when they discovered the real Joe Chandler died in the 1945 wreck.
John Doe had used his alias at least since September 1978, when he wrote off for a copy of Joe Chandler III's birth certificate and applied for his first Social Security Card, while he was in Rapid City, S.D. His dental records were made during that 23-year period he'd gone by the alias.
John Doe shot himself in the head in his apartment using a .38-caliber Charter Arms handgun that had been purchased at a Western Auto store in Seagoville between 1968 and 1978. The store has been closed for some time and its records destroyed. The gun has never been reported as stolen or missing.
Although they can't connect the actual time that John Doe walked away from himself, they believe it would have been between 1968 and 1978. At some point, evidence showed, he was in California, worked around or was in the U.S. Navy, and had some electrical engineering experience. He moved to the Cleveland area in 1979, and then to his last apartment in 1986.
He lived a hermit life, going only to work and out to eat.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...r-III-Jul-02&highlight=joseph+newton+chandler275c8e_780855464a9c4b908894d1c8a7dbf567[1].jpg454UMOH_LARGE[1].jpg454UMOH3_LARGE[1].jpg

I found this jane doe .. its from 1988 but I still thought I would post it here

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9202

Date found
May 20, 1988
Sex
Female
Race
White
Ethnicity
Unsure
Circumstances
Unknown white female found floating in NY Harbor, removed to Coast Guard Station by NYPD Harbor Unit.

Body condition
Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Post-mortem interval
Not specified
Estimated age
Adult - Pre 70
Weight
110 lbs
Height
66 inches

https://lostandfound.revealnews.org...17&unidentifiedperson=9202&missingperson=3070

I found this jane doe .. its from 1988 but I still thought I would post it here

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9202

Date found
May 20, 1988
Sex
Female
Race
White
Ethnicity
Unsure
Circumstances
Unknown white female found floating in NY Harbor, removed to Coast Guard Station by NYPD Harbor Unit.

Body condition
Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Post-mortem interval
Not specified
Estimated age
Adult - Pre 70
Weight
110 lbs
Height
66 inches

https://lostandfound.revealnews.org...17&unidentifiedperson=9202&missingperson=3070

Long shot, but you could try submitting this one

On January 10, 1971. 25-year-old Richard Risenburg finds the bodies of his wife, Diane (age 24), and their 17 month old son, Andrew, in their Queens apartment. On January 16, Richard is arrested and charged with their murders.

He is found not guilty by reason of insanity- according to his story, he became overwhelmed and stressed. Which, obviously, is why he stabbed his wife 60 times and strangled their baby. He is sentenced to a year in a high security mental health center and then transferred to Creedmore Psychiatric Center.

On April 6, 1977, Richard Riesenburg walks out of Creedmore, taking with him 19 year old Judith Anne Brown, who was receiving outpatient treatment at nearby Hillside Medical Center.

Neither Richard nor Judith was ever seen again.

Original

Judith. Photo was taken around the time she vanished

4YEnr0kl.jpg

Vanished With a Killer: Judith Ann Brown

Judith Ann Brown was nineteen years old when she was last seen on April 6, 1977 with Richard E. Reisenberg, a man housed at Queens’ Creedmoor Psychiatric Center after murdering his wife and young son in 1971.

At the time of the disappearance Judith lived with an aunt in Queens and received outpatient services at the Hillside Medical Center, which is not far away from Creedmoor. After the pair vanished Detective Harold Walters described Judith as “a girlfriend” of Riesenberg’s in a newspaper article about lax security at the facility. The nature and duration of the pair’s relationship is unclear but it doesn’t appear that Riesenberg took Judith against her will.

There is very little available media coverage about Judith and Riensenberg’s disappearance. Judith was considered an adult and technically able to do as she wished but her companion’s whereabouts should have raised more alarm, given his history and the violent nature of his crimes.

Early in Riesenberg’s life a mental health provider diagnosed him as having a “schizoid personality with a possible onset of schizophrenic disorder” and by age 15 he had attempted suicide twice. The following clipping gives more insight into his illness.

This is actually not far From where Judith supposedly went missing and fits the timeframe they are speculating

Queens cops find human remains that may link to 40-year-old killing — officials

ny-1552443107-1x25jirljf-snap-image

Crime Scene Unit officers and investigators from the Office of the Medical Examiner, dig the back yard of 87-72 115th Street where they reportedly found human remains in Richmond Hill, New York on Tuesday. (Jesse Ward for New York Daily News)

Cops on Tuesday unearthed skeletal remains that may link to a crime that’s been buried in Queens back yard for more than four decades, officials said.

Skeletal remains of a murdered adult were found buried in rear of a Richmond Hill home on 115th St. near Jamaica Ave. about 11:30 a.m., police sources said.

An NYPD forensic team made the grim discovery after receiving a tip Monday a body had been buried there about 40 years ago.

The city’s Medical Examiner has been charged with identifying the remains and determining how the person died.

It was not immediately disclosed if the remains were of a man or a woman.

[More New York] Cops take hundreds of pot plants from Queens grow house: police »
Police sources said that the tipster came forward with the information voluntarily.

No one involved with the crime currently lives at the Richmond Hill address, the sources said.

As an autopsy is performed, police are questioning anyone who lived in the home at the time the body was believed to be buried to find out what they remember.

This is actually not far From where Judith supposedly went missing and fits the timeframe they are speculating

Queens cops find human remains that may link to 40-year-old killing — officials

ny-1552443107-1x25jirljf-snap-image

Crime Scene Unit officers and investigators from the Office of the Medical Examiner, dig the back yard of 87-72 115th Street where they reportedly found human remains in Richmond Hill, New York on Tuesday. (Jesse Ward for New York Daily News)

Cops on Tuesday unearthed skeletal remains that may link to a crime that’s been buried in Queens back yard for more than four decades, officials said.

Skeletal remains of a murdered adult were found buried in rear of a Richmond Hill home on 115th St. near Jamaica Ave. about 11:30 a.m., police sources said.

An NYPD forensic team made the grim discovery after receiving a tip Monday a body had been buried there about 40 years ago.

The city’s Medical Examiner has been charged with identifying the remains and determining how the person died.

It was not immediately disclosed if the remains were of a man or a woman.

[More New York] Cops take hundreds of pot plants from Queens grow house: police »
Police sources said that the tipster came forward with the information voluntarily.

No one involved with the crime currently lives at the Richmond Hill address, the sources said.

As an autopsy is performed, police are questioning anyone who lived in the home at the time the body was believed to be buried to find out what they remember.

Interesting to say the least, maybe pass on this info to nudge them along.. im going to look into that address and see what is found..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back