NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to double post, but my newsfeed is filled with news about this (lots of friend-of-a-friend situations) and it reminded me about my last time running in the marsh. The deeper I went down the crude trail the more I realized I wasn't seeing any turn offs, so I had to decide between staying on and seeing where it ended or turning around while I still remembered which way I took on two forks. I turned around and as I came out where I entered, a man was entering the trail. I blame my freaked out mood for even thinking he looked out of place (the only other people anywhere in the park was a group of kids fishing by the park entrance, probably because it was 95 degrees or so..). He was shirtless and in khaki pants + non-athletic shoes and wasn't carrying anything for hiking/whatever. I jogged past him through the sand and he just looked at me, but then proceeded to hurry back into the marsh.

I'm not sharing that because I think it's valuable information for this case or anything, but if I had stayed on the trail for even a few minutes longer he and I would have crossed paths and his appearance would have scared the CRAP out of me. And I probably would have scared him!

Of course, if he had any ill intent it would've been so easy for him to see it through at that point. Zero visibility, zero people. Completely silent save for buzzing insects. A whole (separate) park full of people who see you entering the isolated section alone. I feel stupid for ever going there, especially since I've gotten lost while trail running in the past. The first link is to this location showing how dense it is, even though if you move the map even a little you're right back in crowded Brooklyn. The next link is showing the distance between the two parks. Though outside of homeless people who apparently live on these beaches, "cross borough marsh lurker" would be pretty specific for anyone else.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...16df6812ed4851!8m2!3d40.6119911!4d-73.9330429

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mar...3b614b0b51c16e!2m2!1d-73.8429989!2d40.6571222

I don't understand why there is not more activity on this thread. I believe this case will be solved fairly quickly, as the NYPD detectives are some of the most talented in the country.

Karina Vetrano normally went running with her father along a popular jogging and bike path blocks from where she lived in the Howard Beach section of Queens.

But the 30-year-old was running alone Tuesday evening and didn't come home, New York police said.

Read more at http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/03/us/jogger-karina-vetrano-killed

BBM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curious that something happened to Karina the one time her father wasn't with her. Had someone along the path paid especial attention to her/stalked her and saw their opportunity when she was alone? Could it have been someone known to her who decided to meet her at the park when he found out she would be jogging alone? Did she announce on SM she would be jogging alone? Or is there a narrow group of friends she may have informed?

Sorry to double post, but my newsfeed is filled with news about this (lots of friend-of-a-friend situations) and it reminded me about my last time running in the marsh. The deeper I went down the crude trail the more I realized I wasn't seeing any turn offs, so I had to decide between staying on and seeing where it ended or turning around while I still remembered which way I took on two forks. I turned around and as I came out where I entered, a man was entering the trail. I blame my freaked out mood for even thinking he looked out of place (the only other people anywhere in the park was a group of kids fishing by the park entrance, probably because it was 95 degrees or so..). He was shirtless and in khaki pants + non-athletic shoes and wasn't carrying anything for hiking/whatever. I jogged past him through the sand and he just looked at me, but then proceeded to hurry back into the marsh.

I'm not sharing that because I think it's valuable information for this case or anything, but if I had stayed on the trail for even a few minutes longer he and I would have crossed paths and his appearance would have scared the CRAP out of me. And I probably would have scared him!

Of course, if he had any ill intent it would've been so easy for him to see it through at that point. Zero visibility, zero people. Completely silent save for buzzing insects. A whole (separate) park full of people who see you entering the isolated section alone. I feel stupid for ever going there, especially since I've gotten lost while trail running in the past. The first link is to this location showing how dense it is, even though if you move the map even a little you're right back in crowded Brooklyn. The next link is showing the distance between the two parks. Though outside of homeless people who apparently live on these beaches, "cross borough marsh lurker" would be pretty specific for anyone else.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...16df6812ed4851!8m2!3d40.6119911!4d-73.9330429

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mar...3b614b0b51c16e!2m2!1d-73.8429989!2d40.6571222

Ya never know, it could be valuable information. How long ago was this? That guy sounds creepy!

Don't run there alone again! And, welcome to WS!

Ya never know, it could be valuable information. How long ago was this? That guy sounds creepy!

Don't run there alone again! And, welcome to WS!

Thanks! I was more active a few years ago but a new job/move put me back to quiet/infrequent observer status.

This was around a month and a half ago.

Thanks! I was more active a few years ago but a new job/move put me back to quiet/infrequent observer status.

This was around a month and a half ago.

Was it within the vicinity of this crime? I think I'd call that in if I were you. Ya never know, they could go out there today and see a shirtless man in khakis and question him....?

August 4, 2016
8:15 AM

Jogger Karina Vetrano's death prompts New York police to offer reward for tips

A $2,500 reward was offered for information leading to an arrest in the killing of a 30-year-old jogger in New York City, CBS New York reports.

Police said Karina Vetrano was found strangled to death and possibly sexually assaulted on Tuesday. Her body was discovered by her father in a grassy area in the Howard Beach neighborhood of Queens.

On Wednesday night, grief-stricken loved ones and neighborhood residents held a vigil for Vetrano. All were shaken and outraged by her murder.

"This girl was a beautiful girl at the prime of her life taken down by an animal," resident DJ Skribble said.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsn...th-new-york-police-reward-tips/?client=safari

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/karina-vetrano-death-new-york-police-reward-tips/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab4i

"Running was one of Vetrano’s passions, Hartstein said. A passion she almost lost as a child.

She had surgery on both sides of her legs when she was young and doctors told her she would never run again.

'But she ran and she ran well,' Hartstein said. 'Every night she’d run the path with her father. She did it every day and it was her thing.'"

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...vid-runner-social-butterfly-article-1.2737784

Hopefully surveillance will provide a suspect... so sad to see another young life taken like this... Sad too for her family.

This angers me. I mean come on. We as women can't even go for a jog by ourselves without our fathers to protect us anymore. Ugh.
She was gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it within the vicinity of this crime? I think I'd call that in if I were you. Ya never know, they could go out there today and see a shirtless man in khakis and question him....?

I posted a link up there showing the distance between the two locations. 20ish minutes driving? Not sure about public transit..

I think I'll mention it. It can't hurt. If anything, it may prompt park employees to make sure nobody is living there (there are wildlife conservation/research concerns).

This angers me. I mean come on. We as women can't even go for a jog by ourselves without our fathers to protect us anymore. Ugh.
She was gorgeous.

Sad but true, and in following the case of Sierah Joughin who was taken, assaulted, and murdered while simply riding her bicycles in broad daylight past a corn field - you wonder is it going to come down to one day that women who are out and alone will all have to be armed!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ghin-20-Fulton-County-19-July-2016-6-*Arrest*

Yeah I'm following both these cases. I live in Cincinnati Ohio so those cases and little Kaylynn (5 minutes from wher I live) and the Chillicothe women (I work one county over from them) there's so much violence against women.

this is awful----------hopefully a lot of dna was obtained and the miserable will be caught

I am in NO WAY BLAMING THE VICTIM, but why would anyone choose to run alone on this track? It seems there would be better and safer places other than one that was so secluded, narrow and hidden. Women have to try to minimize their risk in today's world because of the sick depraved idiots out there.

Karina Vetrano normally went running with her father along a popular jogging and bike path blocks from where she lived in the Howard Beach section of Queens.

But the 30-year-old was running alone Tuesday evening and didn't come home, New York police said.

Read more at http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/03/us/jogger-karina-vetrano-killed

BBM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curious that something happened to Karina the one time her father wasn't with her. Had someone along the path paid especial attention to her/stalked her and saw their opportunity when she was alone? Could it have been someone known to her who decided to meet her at the park when he found out she would be jogging alone? Did she announce on SM she would be jogging alone? Or is there a narrow group of friends she may have informed?

Or possibly someone along the route had been watching her jog with her father. waiting for the day she went alone. jmo

I am in NO WAY BLAMING THE VICTIM, but why would anyone choose to run alone on this track? It seems there would be better and safer places other than one that was so secluded, narrow and hidden. Women have to try to minimize their risk in today's world because of the sick depraved idiots out there.

Why not? Why do I have to minimize my risk? I mean I know WHY but why? Ugh. I don't know why, maybe because I just started an exercise regimen (which is primarily by myself because it's peaceful) but this just gets to me. She looks fit and like she could hold her own yet she was still victimized.

Something about this case doesn't add up to me. Just a feeling of hinky-ness. Maybe just because the sheer randomness is too hard to process. Either way, I am so sorry for Karina, and hope she is resting peacefully.

I´m not, in any way, shape or form, blaming the victim either but you may find a possible partly impression/answer to your question (highlighted by me in red) by reading what KV write about herself.

On instagram she call herself "thrill seeker "

https://www.instagram.com/karina.vee/?hl=da

And on her personal website she, among other things, write this:

http://karinavee.com/

Isaiah 14:12:
“How are you fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, Son of the Morning…”

“In Christianity, Lucifer refers to devil or “Satan.” Lucifer was cast into hell because he acted against God’s wishes and rebelled against Him. The name Lucifer means “morning star,” or “the light bearer,” with reference to his former beauty as the most gorgeous of angels, before God threw him to hell. Anything which tempts, lures, prompts a man to sin and causes contempt in the eyes of God is said to be an act of Satan. Thus we can see that Lucifer had a rather beautiful but non-divine poetic origin.”
__________________________________________________________________________________

This is the dichotomy of my existence;
this is the hypocrisy: my persistence
to fall into temptation,
time and time again,
after praying for salvation
I fall right back into sin.

This is the destruction
of my immense intelligence
when I conduct negligence
to protect myself.

This is the demonstration
of how beauty can be wasted
by a girl with a fascination
with innocence,
yet runs towards predicaments
to put her in;
this is the dissonance
of my existence.

This is the contradiction
of my character;
this is my affliction:
I continue to devour
the oxymorons and the
paradoxes-
I am the living document
of thin lines.

This is the tragedy
of my personality.
This is the flaw of me-
this is me, personally.

I am an Angel
full of purity.
I am an Angel
yearning for maturity.
I am an Angel
whose wings are so wide,
ready to take flight.
I am an Angel
with a dark side.

I am the Sinner
whose inner
demon
cannot be tamed.
I am far from a beginner
at the tricks of the trade.
I am the Sinner
who hurts herself
I am the Sinner
who cannot be helped.

I am an Angel
whose smile is genuine.
I am the Sinner
whose wild, feminine
aura draws her
closer to provocative situations.
I am an Angel
who’s a victim of your unreasonable expectations.
I am the Sinner
who meditates manipulations.
I am an Angel
whose love is dedicated.

I am a girl
who is in dire need of love.
I am a woman
who is afraid to give herself up.
I am a child
who just wants goodness
I am a female
who doesn’t know what to do with
all the power I possess
because I have been so blessed
with a power that I am ashamed to claim
through my body, through my mind, through my name.

I’m honest and I’m modest
I’m vain and I’m a narcissist.
I’m timid and I’m giving
I’m tempted and I’m sinning.

I am conflicted
with being gifted.
I can use these tools
to do good or to abuse.
But the only one to lose
is the girl looking back at me.
And when I look back, in her
I see an Angel,