GUILTY NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, jogger found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #5 *First trial MISTRIAL*

Anonymous Note Throws Bombshell Into Karina Vetrano Case
Published Apr 1, 2019
Attorneys for the man accused of killing 30-year-old Karina Vetrano, the Queens woman who vanished while out for a run in her neighborhood in August 2016, dropped a bombshell allegation in court Monday, asking for new hearings based on an anonymous letter that suggested "possible alternate suspects" in the case.
[...]
The letter, first reported by the Daily News, was allegedly written by an NYPD officer and alleged investigators' focus on Lewis was driven by racial profiling.

Judge Blocks Anonymous Letter In Karina Vetrano Murder Trial

Oy this is getting messy. I just wanted justice for her and the family. But not at the expense of another. I still feel he did this, but certainly the defense is creating some room for reasonable if not significant doubt. Yikes.

Anonymous Note Throws Bombshell Into Karina Vetrano Case
Published Apr 1, 2019
Attorneys for the man accused of killing 30-year-old Karina Vetrano, the Queens woman who vanished while out for a run in her neighborhood in August 2016, dropped a bombshell allegation in court Monday, asking for new hearings based on an anonymous letter that suggested "possible alternate suspects" in the case.
[...]
The letter, first reported by the Daily News, was allegedly written by an NYPD officer and alleged investigators' focus on Lewis was driven by racial profiling.

Judge Blocks Anonymous Letter In Karina Vetrano Murder Trial

GMAB. Defense is desperate.

Judge denies motion for mistrial in Karina Vetrano case
April 1, 2019 | 3:41pm
The Queens judge overseeing the Karina Vetrano murder trial Monday denied the defense’s request for a mistrial over a recent anonymous letter that said cops were initially looking for “two jacked-up white guys” in the case.
[...]
But Queens Assistant District Attorney Brad Leventhal argued that whoever wrote the letter had an agenda to “derail the trial at the 11th hour.”

Meanwhile, Lewis’s team has argued that his confession was coerced and the DNA evidence against him is shoddy.
[...]

Jurors listen to closing arguments in Karina Vetrano trial
April 1, 2019 | 6:08pm
[...]
Leventhal showed photos of a murdered Vetrano, 30, to jurors again and repeated that Lewis was caught on tape confessing to the crime.

Meanwhile, Lewis’s lawyer, Robert Moeller, noted that when his client was asked the color of Vetrano’s top that day, the suspect replied, ”Yellow.” She was wearing black.

Leventhal pointed out that her sneakers were yellow, adding that Lewis, “wasn’t concentrated on the color of her top but what was underneath it” — and at least several jurors nodded in agreement.
[...]

Jury gets case in retrial of suspect in Karina Vetrano murder
April 1, 2019 | 4:32PM
The jury was charged late Monday afternoon and began deliberating just after 4 p.m.

Judge denies motion for mistrial in Karina Vetrano case
UPDATED AT 08:14PM, APRIL 1, 2019
NEW YORK -- The case of the murder of Karina Vetrano is now before a jury, yet again.
Late Monday afternoon, the judge gave the jury instructions for deliberation in the case.
The jury will begin deliberations in the retrial on Tuesday.

^^ ? ? ?
abc7ny.com - "The jury began deliberating just after 4 p.m."
OR
pix11.com - "The jury will begin deliberations on Tuesday."

I want to say a special thank you to all my fellow Websleuthers who followed this from the very beginning and continued to check in periodically over the years. You are all awesome!
And...it's over.

This case consumed me when it started. I also thank everyone who followed this case - we definitely had some good discussions about it, even in our frustration over lacking a suspect for so long.

I just heard the news about the verdict. I do think he is guilty but had concerns and disappointment about how the case was handled - much better to have no doubts how evidence was gathered. :( But, I do think they got the right guy, and I'm glad for the family that it is finally, finally over.

I don't think there are many of us who walk/jog/run on our own who don't think of Karina regularly. I wish we could expect safety.

jmo

And...it's over.

This case consumed me when it started. I also thank everyone who followed this case - we definitely had some good discussions about it, even in our frustration over lacking a suspect for so long.

I just heard the news about the verdict. I do think he is guilty but had concerns and disappointment about how the case was handled - much better to have no doubts how evidence was gathered. :( But, I do think they got the right guy, and I'm glad for the family that it is finally, finally over.

I don't think there are many of us who walk/jog/run on our own who don't think of Karina regularly. I wish we could expect safety.

jmo
I too had concerns about how the case was handled initially.
It's easy to Monday morning quaterback, but, I know there are some that think the Allen Charge should have been applied in the first case.

The Allen Charge isn't allowed in 22 states. There have been several times where it has been challenged on appeal when it is used the day before a holiday. That was the situation in this case. The Judge ruled a mistrial the day before Thanksgiving, on the 21st of November.
The jury was also divided 7-5, so, it wasn't close when the judge ruled. That's not to say the Judge wanted to come back on Friday, during the holiday weekend and because he had family flying in for the holiday, it was much easier to declare a mistrial. The reason the Allen Charge is challenged because it puts pressure on the jury to come back with a verdict before the holiday.
In the end, it will give the defense one less thing to argue during the appellate process.
As far as the letter saying they were looking for 2 white men, I don't think that will matter. Once they knew the DNA was from a black male, they had no reason to think that 2 white men did this, so under the Brady rule, the state didn't have to turn that letter over to the defense during the discovery process because it wouldn't have pointed away from a black man, or him.
Some of the evidence collected when looked at individually may have raised doubt, however collectively to me anyway points to guilty once you apply occam's razor.
I'm not sure if they used the same defense that karina got his DNA from the pizza shop, but if she did, I'd find it odd that it was just his alone with many people in the pizza shop every day.
Maybe he did search prosecution etc on his phone the day before he was arrested and after he gave his DNA, but unless I misunderstood, the defense claimed that someone else may have searched using his phone. What's the chances of that?
He cut his hand the same day on his knuckles consistent to punching her.
His confession was allowed in court. His confession revealed things that put him there, ie. he got to the park at 5 pm... he knew about the puddle etc. If he just strolled through the park that day, how would you remember details like that 6 months later if it was just another uneventful day? Even if his confession was pressured, if he didn't do it, he wouldn't have been able to make up exact details.
I'm glad this trial is over. I Hope after the sentencing that the Vetranos can start to heal.

And...it's over.

jmo

Oh, yes. I remember the many theories we had in the beginning and how consumed we were with this sad case. Justice finally. It's been hard to see how much her parents suffered losing their precious daughter and having to fight so hard to get this Justice.

There's a picture here of Karina just before she went on her run that I had not seen before.
Man is found guilty of murdering Queens jogger Karina Vetrano | Daily Mail Online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back