GUILTY NY - Kymel Oram, 17 mos, beaten to death, Brooklyn, 17 March 2011

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by peeples, Mar 20, 2011.

1. peeples

peeples New Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...this_door_17moold_nearly_beaten_to_death.html

The apartment was in okay shape and there was food in the refrigerator," a police source said. "Apparently that's all they look at."

Neighbors said the suspected abuse was an open secret. One told the Daily News she saw Kymell more than once sitting alone crying in a hallway.

"Sometimes when the baby was crying they would leave the baby outside the door," Maribel Pejada said. "He would hit his head against the door trying to get in. It was awful."

edited to change title

2. Loading...

3. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

:banghead:

The foster mother has food in the fridge, brushes with law over catfights and shoplifting, and a boyfriend nicknamed killer, yep, everything looks fine here.

:banghead:

4. 2goldfish

2goldfish Active Member

I dont understand? it's foster care, if you find you cant handle it, should you not just call up and tell social services that you cant? why would you keep and abuse an already harmed child?

5. PMLsmom

PMLsmom Active Member

Sadly...Money.

6. Columbo

Columbo New Member

:banghead: Maybe having a brain should be a requirement for being a foster parent. Ya think???

And a boyfriend named "Killer"...hmmmm...seems like it should be a real red flag to CPS.....

So sad. If this little guy survives, I wonder if he will be a vegetable for the rest of his life.

7. Tinsamd

Tinsamd Justice for Shaniya!!!!

Poor angel. :-(

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/03/20/2011-03-20_screaming_tot_silent_neighbors.html

This article indicates that the neighbors may have been threatened by a gang....

8. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

Boyfriend nicknamed Killer - check
    Close association with gang known for brutality - check
    Encounter with LE over cat fight - check
    Encounter with LE over shoplifting - check
    Regular practice of abandoning screaming toddler in hallway - check

Sounds like this woman is more than qualified to take in and nurture abused children.

I am so sick of child welfare.

MOO the entire system, nationwide, needs to be dismantled and reassembled in a manner that makes sense and in a format that is about the best interest of the CHILD.

9. UdbCrzy2

UdbCrzy2 New Member

I think the foster parents are paid pretty well, especially if the child has some sort of 'special needs'. I saw something on TV about this and some were getting funds cut because of budgets.

Yeah, some do it for the money, not in the best interest of the child:(

10. mommy23

mommy23 There is no original thought....

And I ask myself why again??? I cannot currently be approved for foster care because of other stupid mistakes I have made in my past.... ( financial, my criminal record is clean as a whistle, never even a traffic ticket)

It makes me sick to think people are doing it for the money, and not out of love, all most of these kids need is love and support. Is that too much to ask????

11. LunaticFringe

LunaticFringe I know you're out there...

I'd like to jerk a knot in the neighbor's ass as well.How can you ignore an innocent like baby locked out of his home.I would have taken him into my home and called 911.

12. MorenoI

MorenoI New Member

Oh my, my heart is breaking as I think of this poor baby banging his head on the door to be let in!

How many times does this have to happen before someone calls someone???? I'm sooooo angry that this neighbor saw this and did nada! She could have called and remained anonomous.

13. peeples

peeples New Member

14. Columbo

Columbo New Member

15. Tinsamd

Tinsamd Justice for Shaniya!!!!

16. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

Rest peacefully little Kymell. I am sorry you were treated poorly at every turn in your brief life little man.

17. MorenoI

MorenoI New Member

Oh no this is horrible.

RIP little sweet angel Kymell....

18. LCoastMom

LCoastMom JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE MARIE - STILL WAITING

Heart from Brooklyn baby beaten to death in foster mom's apartment goes to save another infant

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/04/06/2011-04-06_heart_from_brooklyn_baby_beaten_to_death_in_foster_moms_apartment_gift_of_life_f.html

Relatives of tiny Louis Mosely gathered for his funeral confirmed they donated the organ to a 1-year-old Baltimore girl.

The funeral program recounted Louis' sadly short life and the decision to give his heart to a needy child.

The 75 mourners - including many uniformed police officers and the hospital workers who treated the boy - wept and clung to each other during the emotional farewell.

Rest in Peace Baby Louis.

19. hopingicanhelp

hopingicanhelp Well-Known Member

:maddening:

This is a HUGE problem in our country. I am going through the same thing, trying to report an abusive home life, but social worker has yet to visit the home, and repeated calls to police for welfare checks always seem to come at the wrong time (or right time for them).

I was told the same thing by the police. I was told that because there are few beds and resources for all the children in need, the dire cases are dealt with and all other kids that have a roof, a place to sleep, and food in the house are overlooked unless there is a GLARING, IMMINENT problem. Have they not figured out yet that they need to ask kids more open-ended questions, rather than direct ones? Don't they know kids are coached? Don't they know abusers know how to cover their tracks well and keep up appearances? :banghead:

So now, the "parent" has been put on "notice" and is on best behavior. We can cross our fingers that will last for awhile, but I'm just sick in my stomach because I'm doing everything I'm "supposed" to do, even told case worker and police we would take the children at no expense to the state...all we can do is wait and keep at it.

20. Rayemonde

Rayemonde New Member

October 2014 -

http://journalism.blog.brooklyn.edu/jury-picked-in-brooklyn-child-murder-case/

21. Rayemonde

Rayemonde New Member

November 2014:

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/n...ap-death-toddler-kymel-oram-article-1.2011699

oliver15n-2-web.jpg