NY Manhattan building collapse 3/26

One young man is missing according to this article

"A 23-year-old man is missing after taking a co-worker on a date to the Sushi restaurant that exploded in New York on Thursday.

Nicholas Figueroa, a former Hollister model, was on a second date with a girl he met working at Bowlmor Lanes on Manhattan's Chelsea Pier.

After the explosion at 3.20pm, his date was taken to Bellevue Hospital with a broken nose, the New York Daily News reported.

But Figueroa has not been located."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...taurant-second-date-worker.html#ixzz3VZ04253v
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Con Edison found 'hazardous situation' with gas line connections at East Village building in August 2014 - more than seven months before explosion

Workers from the utility company found dangerous connections in August

The crew went to the building after someone smelled gas in the basement

Company shut off the building's gas for about ten days until it was 'safe'

Blast occurred Thursday at Sushi Park restaurant at 121 Second Avenue

Workers with Con-Ed visited site hour before explosion to inspect gas work

Three buildings on block caught alight and collapsed in seven-alarm blaze

Nicholas Figueroa, 23, and Moises Lucon, 26, still missing after explosion

Contractor who investigated on Thursday was one of 50 people arrested in February sweep of the city by building and housing inspectors

The contractor, Dilber Kukic, was accused of bribing an undercover investigator to dismiss violations at two properties

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ast-Village-building-blast.html#ixzz3VmBMTMZP

Con Edison found 'hazardous situation' with gas line connections at East Village building in August 2014 - more than seven months before explosion

Workers from the utility company found dangerous connections in August

The crew went to the building after someone smelled gas in the basement

Company shut off the building's gas for about ten days until it was 'safe'

Blast occurred Thursday at Sushi Park restaurant at 121 Second Avenue

Workers with Con-Ed visited site hour before explosion to inspect gas work

Three buildings on block caught alight and collapsed in seven-alarm blaze

Nicholas Figueroa, 23, and Moises Lucon, 26, still missing after explosion

Contractor who investigated on Thursday was one of 50 people arrested in February sweep of the city by building and housing inspectors

The contractor, Dilber Kukic, was accused of bribing an undercover investigator to dismiss violations at two properties

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ast-Village-building-blast.html#ixzz3VmBMTMZP
Wow so this could have easily been prevented :(

New Yorkers donate $87,000 to single mom and her three children who lost 'everything but their lives' in East Village gas explosion

Diane McLean's four-bedroom rent-stabilized apartment was destroyed in the explosion last week

She paid $1,500 a month of East Village home - a deal she may never find again

******** has raised $87,000 for her family

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...support-fellow-New-Yorkers.html#ixzz3WM0u65gs

An older article from when the fire was happening, but one I wanted to comment on. Somewhat OT but about a longtime resident there who lost their home there and everything in it. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...New-York-City-apartments-destroyed-blaze.html

Drea posted on Instagram:
'NYC's finest trying to put out the flames to mine n many others apartments. Speechless…,' the 43-year-old wrote beside an Instagram photo of the blaze. 'Praying for those that are hurt.'

In another photo, she added: 'A hole where my NYC home of the last 22 years once stood...RIP 123 2nd Avenue.'

For those who don't recognize Drea De Matteo's name, she is most widely known as "Adriana" on the popular show " The Sopranos".

But I know her better as an incredibly sweet person who I met in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. She was in New Orleans, with her former fiance Shooter Jennings (son of Waylon Jennings and Jessie Colter). I was invited to the concert as their guest, having been in contact with Shooter's people after his previous concert date for New Orleans was canceled because it was weeks after Katrina hit and had been cancelled.

Shooter and his people sent me an amazing care package of concert T-Shirts and goodies and told me they would get me free tickets when he rescheduled as well as a chance to meet him and Drea. Well, you just do not know how much that meant to me. I grew up loving Waylon Jenning music as well as Jessie Colter.Then along came their son Shooter and I fell in love with his music (before i even knew he was their son). I was also a fan of Drea as well, having seen her on the Sopranos.

So the time came when they came to New Orleans and I met them on Shooter's tour bus. Drea and Shooter were sitting side by side and I went to sit across from them and Drea said " No, come sit over here by Shooter " and she moved over so that I sat between both of them. How sweet was that!!! Knowing that I was there to see Shooter, she moved so I could sit next to him. I st and talked with them and they were sooo sweet and fun to talk to. I was just so touched at her sweetness in her gesture as she moved over so I could sit next to her fiance. She insisted that i come sit with him, since i had come to see him.

When my fiance died 2 years later, they also sent flowers to me. That was such a kind thing to do! It meant a lot to me then and still does today.

So I know Drea as an incredibly sweet and kind person and am so thankful that she and her two beautiful children were not there that day. I can completely empathize with the shock of losing a beloved home and everything in it, having been thru that is Katrina. It is an incredible shock and the loss of the priceless things like pictures, sentimental items and such is hard to describe.

( Of course nothing compares to the loss of life which is the ultimate tragedy here. 2 young men died and their parents have to be devastated beyond belief.)

I just wanted to share my story as a bit of info about one of the longtime residents there who I have had the chance to know. My heart goes out to everything there who has been affected.

Here is an older pic of Drea and Shooter and their adorable daughter ( Drea is pregnant with their son in the pic) when they were together at the apt. ( For the record, I think Shooter is gorgeous, I love them long haired rebels who are incredible musicians lol! and Shooter smells great when you hug him!)
shooter, drea, alabama.jpg

thank you swampmama for sharing your story :grouphug: what a wonderful comfort to you they were!

i always want to hear the human side of the story, it's one reason we are here as humans imo....to share.....whether it be the strife or joy of life so that we may all survive and conquer and grow...........i too am so glad that drea and her family are safe and sound :)

:rose: for all those touched by this tragedy

I hope they bring charges against the landlord and her son, and not just against the idiots who did the work. Thay have to send a message to other landlords, that they will be held accountable, if they do the same thing.
And the plumber. I'm sorry, but no one "makes" you tap into a gas line at gun point. They pay you.

EXCLUSIVE 'Nobody's spoken to me': Mother of 23-year-old former model who died in New York Second Avenue explosion calls out landlord, City and ConEd as memorial set up for her son

Ana Figueroa, mother of Nicholas Figueroa, 23, set up memorial to her son who died in the March 26 explosion on New York City's Second Avenue

Blast, which killed two, thought to be the result of illegal gas tapping

The grieving mother said that neither the landlord of the demolished buildings, Mayor Bill de Blasio nor Con Edison have contacted her

Family has built memorial, plans to push for small park in memory of son

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lls-landlord-City-ConEd-memorial-set-son.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back