GUILTY NY - Martha Stewart for lying about stock sale, NYC, 2003

We'll see if she is ready to accept the verdict, by how much effort is put into the appeals. At this point she should cut her losses, accept the punishment and get it over with so she can begin to resume her life. Even that 'biter' Marv Albert is back on TV, doing games.

martha will appear on larry king live tonight, july 19, to discuss sentence.

I wonder if Kenneth Lay (of Enron) will ever do any jail time? IMO Martha is being made an example for being a successful woman in the men's game of big business. Martha is one tough cookie.

deputylinda said:
martha will appear on larry king live tonight, monday july 19, to speak about her sentencing. (maybe we should merge the 3 martha threads?) martha may well be in protective or administrative custody so she does not have to be exposed to the other inmates, for various reasons.
Thanks for the heads up DL ~ I would like to see that!

BirdieBoo said:
I wonder if Kenneth Lay (of Enron) will ever do any jail time? IMO Martha is being made an example for being a successful woman in the men's game of big business.

Sam Waksal was the head of the company in which Stewart had the stock she tried to unload. He was found guilty of a number of things related manipulating his company stock after learning inside info. He got something like 4-5 years. Without all his cohorts testifying that he had info, Lay probably won't be convicted of anything major.

vicktor said:
Sam Waksal was the head of the company in which Stewart had the stock she tried to unload. He was found guilty of a number of things related manipulating his company stock after learning inside info. He got something like 4-5 years. Without all his cohorts testifying that he had info, Lay probably won't be convicted of anything major.

Martha was not found guilty of manipulating stock. She was charged with obstructiion of justice.

Lea Fastow, the wife of enron's CFO has already been sentenced.

Ladies before "gentlemen" and all that jazz.

From Newsweek, 7/26/04 issue:

To weary advertisers, it seems like Stewart's rebound will never come. Says Deutsch, Inc. ad exec Peter Gardiner: "You wish she'd just say, "I made a mistake, I'm doing my time and then we can move on." Martha isn't ready to move on. Hours after her sentencing, she went on ABC with Barbara Walters to compare herself to Nelson Mandela and insist: "I didn't cheat the little people. We're all the little people. Maybe. But for now at least, accepting responsibility for human failings is beyond the skills of the queen of perfection."

NELSON MANDELA? WT....? We're all the little people? Last time I looked Martha, I didn't live on a 153 acre estate. How she can compare herself to the average american is beyond me. MORE proof this woman is BPD!

Sprocket said:
From Newsweek, 7/26/04 issue:

To weary advertisers, it seems like Stewart's rebound will never come. Says Deutsch, Inc. ad exec Peter Gardiner: "You wish she'd just say, "I made a mistake, I'm doing my time and then we can move on." Martha isn't ready to move on. Hours after her sentencing, she went on ABC with Barbara Walters to compare herself to Nelson Mandela and insist: "I didn't cheat the little people. We're all the little people. Maybe. But for now at least, accepting responsibility for human failings is beyond the skills of the queen of perfection."

NELSON MANDELA? WT....? We're all the little people? Last time I looked Martha, I didn't live on a 153 acre estate. How she can compare herself to the average american is beyond me. MORE proof this woman is BPD!
Sounds alot like Leona Helmsley to me, the other queen of mean!!!:snooty:

she now states she intends on writhing a book on how to get through this type of situation. how to choose a lawyer, go through an interview, etc.
wonder what she will call the book? graceful incarceration, maybe. I hear that danbury inmates are eager for her admission. they have been joking that after her admission they expect to get better food. seriously, wouldn't it be ironic if she ended up running the prisons food service dept before she left?

Sprocket said:

Anything to avoid saying those 5 little words. I did it, I'm sorry.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=1&u=/nm/20040915/bs_nm/crime_marthastewart

Lifestyle guru Martha Stewart (news - web sites) said on Wednesday she wants to serve her prison sentence for lying over a suspicious stock sale as soon as possible, so she can put her "nightmare" behind her.
"I want to put this nightmare behind me," said Stewart, who built a business empire on home decorating tips. "I want to reclaim my good life and good works."
In a surprise announcement, Stewart -- convicted in March and later sentenced to five months in jail and five months of house arrest -- said through tears she hoped to be a free woman by March, so she can plant her spring garden.
Stewart said she did not want to wait for the appeal process, which could take a year, and wanted instead to reclaim her good name and her personal and professional life as soon as possible.
"While I and my attorneys firmly believe in the strength of (my) appeal, recent delays and extensions have now made it abundantly clear that my appeal will not be heard until sometime next year. So I have decided to serve my sentence now," Stewart told reporters in a brief appearance during which she was composed but shed some tears.
Stewart, who made her name giving decorating tips to Americans for holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, said she was sad to miss the festive season this year.
"I am very sad that I will miss the holiday seasons Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years -- always an opportunity to celebrate family, friends and religious traditions that mean so much to many of us," she said.
~~

I only saw part of this news conference - missed the teary stuff- but she did seem less haughty and cold -actually mentioned her daughter and the people who work for her company. Her statement was a little more carefully crafted than the one she gave upon conviction.

Wow... I wonder how quickly is quickly? Can the judge comply and send her in right away??

I agree. The statement was more crafted. MAYBE, her advisers are telling her, the longer she delays this, the worse it looks for her, and now she's playing the part (poorly, imho) of the martyr .....doing her "time" over the holidays that she so enjoys and will miss dearly......so that she and her company can "move on."

Yawn.

i think she is making a mistake. she could wait for her appeal and not miss the holidays...her mother is 90 and it could be her last Christmas, who knows? not a comment on her guilt, just from legal standpoint this is ill-advised decision. as well as for her mother's sake. JMO. (assuming dept. of corrections wants her surrender and/or judge wants to remand her).

I can't find any story that says how immediately the judge could send her off.

But CTV has a video link on its front page for the news conference if anyone wants to watch that.

Sprocky... I thought you would like Martha... you are a crafty chick :)

deputylinda said:
i think she is making a mistake. she could wait for her appeal and not miss the holidays...her mother is 90 and it could be her last Christmas, who knows? not a comment on her guilt, just from legal standpoint this is ill-advised decision. as well as for her mother's sake. JMO. (assuming dept. of corrections wants her surrender and/or judge wants to remand her).
No, it just proves what a cold-hearted B**** she is.

deputylinda said:

Maybe she hates her mom and doesn't care????? I think its a good decision. I think the chances for her appeal being successful are slim to none. Why not just get it done and over with? They may require for her to drop any pending appeals before they'll allow her to start her sentence. That's the only problem I can foresee.

Dark Knight said:
No, it just proves what a cold-hearted B**** she is.
Now was that a Christian thing to say? :slap:

turn the other cheek DK :D

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member