Deceased/Not Found NY - Matthew Dennis 22, sailed frm Salem MA 28-ft fbrgls sailbt going to FL, he chronicled on Soc Med, last contact off coast Long Isl NY, 29 Sep 2022

Unalienable Rights

Reaction score
1665231982612.png

The United States Coast Guard is looking for a man who sailed out of Salem, Massachusetts and has not been heard from in a week.

Matthew Dennis, 22, was headed toward Florida in a white, 28-foot fiberglass sailboat when he left Salem on Sept. 22, USCG said. He was last heard from on Sept. 29. off the coast of Long Island, New York.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Coast Guard at 617-223-8555.

USCG Northeast Twitter:

Dennis had been chronicling a solo trip at sea on social media by sharing videos on YouTube and TikTok.

In one video dated Sept. 22, Dennis, who is from Colorado, said he "recently dropped everything," sold all his stuff, bought a boat, and moved aboard. He said he purchased the boat in Salem, which is north of Boston.

He then showed his wrist, which appeared to be wrapped in gauze.

Dennis later said, "we're going to do our best to avoid the hurricane that's coming up, as well."

Less than a week later, Hurricane Ian slammed Cuba, followed by western Florida and then South Carolina.

The Coast Guard said anyone who has information about Dennis should contact them at 617-223-8555.

Excerpt from at Social Media video and his YouTube video are embedded in the article.

View attachment 371784

The United States Coast Guard is looking for a man who sailed out of Salem, Massachusetts and has not been heard from in a week.

Matthew Dennis, 22, was headed toward Florida in a white, 28-foot fiberglass sailboat when he left Salem on Sept. 22, USCG said. He was last heard from on Sept. 29. off the coast of Long Island, New York.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Coast Guard at 617-223-8555.

USCG Northeast Twitter:

Dennis had been chronicling a solo trip at sea on social media by sharing videos on YouTube and TikTok.

In one video dated Sept. 22, Dennis, who is from Colorado, said he "recently dropped everything," sold all his stuff, bought a boat, and moved aboard. He said he purchased the boat in Salem, which is north of Boston.

He then showed his wrist, which appeared to be wrapped in gauze.

Dennis later said, "we're going to do our best to avoid the hurricane that's coming up, as well."

Less than a week later, Hurricane Ian slammed Cuba, followed by western Florida and then South Carolina.

The Coast Guard said anyone who has information about Dennis should contact them at 617-223-8555.

Excerpt from at Social Media video and his YouTube video are embedded in the article.
Gosh…Selling all your stuff to sail alone, possibly with a broken arm, during hurricane season… what could go wrong? The MSM articles don’t mention his background with sailing, nautical navigation experience/equipment, or radio equipment on board. I know that weather is changing, but why the hurry to set sail now?

If he is off course and lost at sea, I sure hope he he has an emergency beacon (EPIRB?), plenty of water or purification device, and food.

Will be watching this and am praying he is found safe.

Gosh…Selling all your stuff to sail alone, possibly with a broken arm, during hurricane season… what could go wrong? The MSM articles don’t mention his background with sailing, nautical navigation experience/equipment, or radio equipment on board. I know that weather is changing, but why the hurry to set sail now?

If he is off course and lost at sea, I sure hope he he has an emergency beacon (EPIRB?), plenty of water or purification device, and food.

Will be watching this and am praying he is found safe.
Agreed, I am very nervous for this young man. 22 is awfully young for a solo trip like this, especially when there’s a hurricane. The fact that he had to purchase the boat says to me that maybe he doesn’t have a LOT of experience - unless he was renting boats in the past for similar trips? But that’s awfully expensive to do. Idk. I’ll be watching this thread and praying for the best.

“I just recently sailed it across the Boston Harbor into Scituate," Dennis said. "I'm making my way down to the Cape Cod Canal. I'm going to sail down to the Cape Cod Canal and then hopefully on down to Florida, making just stops along the way...and resting up when I need to. This is my first time single-handing something this big and I'm definitely in way over my head. On top of that, I'm literally going to be doing it single-handedly because I'm pretty sure I broke my arm. I'm hoping it's just a sprain.”

“I just recently sailed it across the Boston Harbor into Scituate," Dennis said. "I'm making my way down to the Cape Cod Canal. I'm going to sail down to the Cape Cod Canal and then hopefully on down to Florida, making just stops along the way...and resting up when I need to. This is my first time single-handing something this big and I'm definitely in way over my head. On top of that, I'm literally going to be doing it single-handedly because I'm pretty sure I broke my arm. I'm hoping it's just a sprain.”
Impulsivity and injury don’t mix well with ocean sailing, especially in the face of an imminent hurricane. It sounds to me like he’s in a heightened state of hyperactivity or something. I hope he’s OK.

I am not hopeful at all.

In most man vs. nature encounters of this magnitude, the result is nature wins. Injured man vs. nature? Very, very unwise.

Just provisioning oneself would be expensive. Never mind backup and safety equipment. Plus don't you need to file a trip plan with some authority?

Sailing experience is good but unless he's been first mate on a similar voyage......:(

MOO

I have to agree with the other posts here. It sounds like he's admitted he has little experience, he's injured and he's in a small craft he's unfamiliar with going into an area that has a huge hurricane aimed in that direction. H's also from Colorado, so he may not be familiar with the waters off the coast of the Eastern seaboard. This will not end well I'm afraid.

From Loveland, CO, graduated from the local HS where he swam varsity. May have worked for a car dealer, or been a freelance marketer (maybe both?) before pulling up stakes and heading east.
Interesting comment on his TikTok page, link is in most MSM pages including the one at the top of the thread.

edited to fix spelling

Last edited:
Oh dear! IMHO this young man does not sound like he is a "sailor" nor a well planner. I hope for the best for him. My husband was a USCG search and rescue pilot for 27 years. CG has to go out in the worst of the worst to rescue people in need. Many times people feel more confident about what their adventure is. A 28 foot sailboat is very small on the big water. They generally don't have a ginormous engine either. You REALLY need to know what you are doing. Even people with years of experience have deadly situations. Sad

Coast Guard Suspends Search for Matthew Dennis

“With no further information or sightings and negative response to Urgent Marine Information Broadcasts, the First District has suspended the search for Matthew Dennis pending further developments,” officials said.
If he just got washed way far out, how would he ever get back in?
I keep looking at his glasses- no croakies- if those fell of... and of course since he is alone, if the boat really rolled, how would he ever get back to it...no life preserver...because he is an excellent swimmer, BUT he says he is cold just on the boat in sunlight. Was he charging devices with solar panels? I think that Ivan went off the coast below NJ
SVS: Hurricane Ivan Track and Intensity September 2-23, 2004
but the surf can be stirred up miles out.

If he just got washed way far out, how would he ever get back in?
I keep looking at his glasses- no croakies- if those fell of... and of course since he is alone, if the boat really rolled, how would he ever get back to it...no life preserver...because he is an excellent swimmer, BUT he says he is cold just on the boat in sunlight. Was he charging devices with solar panels? I think that Ivan went off the coast below NJ
SVS: Hurricane Ivan Track and Intensity September 2-23, 2004
but the surf can be stirred up miles out.

Hurricane Ian is the one that's relevant here, not Ivan.

His corporate website for his one-man marketing company is interesting. Doesn't really say much, just a bunch of truisms cobbled together. Really no human touch to be seen. Sales background nebulous and dodgy, no degrees or certifications. That is definitely him speaking in his pretentiously titled podcast (The Exquisite Life). Somewhat divorced from reality, and all over the map, are the impressions I get from the website. It's a good thing Google suggests other marketers in the area, I would certainly have chosen any of those instead if I had such a need and lived in that area.
ETA: MOO

Last edited:
He said he had a months supply of water and fishing gear. Never said what actual food stock he had. He said he was or had picked up solar panels in sandwich. He could be floating out there with sails damaged and no signal on cell phone. Engine messed up. Its happened many times before. No one has said what emergency equipment he had. Epirb or radio or life raft. Thought that was odd. Couldnt find that info anywhere.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back