Deceased/Not Found NY - Matthew Dennis 22, sailed frm Salem MA 28-ft fbrgls sailbt going to FL, he chronicled on Soc Med, last contact off coast Long Isl NY, 29 Sep 2022

Gosh…Selling all your stuff to sail alone, possibly with a broken arm, during hurricane season… what could go wrong? The MSM articles don’t mention his background with sailing, nautical navigation experience/equipment, or radio equipment on board. I know that weather is changing, but why the hurry to set sail now?

If he is off course and lost at sea, I sure hope he he has an emergency beacon (EPIRB?), plenty of water or purification device, and food.

Will be watching this and am praying he is found safe.
From what I understand he had little sailing experience, did not have EPIRB, Nor towing a dingy or an emergency flotation, (from person who sold him the boat),That person was very apprehensive, and gave as many tips as he could before he turned it over but he Dennis if you watch his video is what he perceives himself to be a persuasive Salesman, and had his mind made up. I found as many articles on this as I could. and watched as many videos of his as I could on you tube and it looks as though he was using his Phone for GPS (to save using the motor also chose not to use the alcohol stove until he got until he got the solar panels which we do not see any updates on or if he got them hooked up. I have continued to follow this and looking for any updates. The yacht club where the person was who sold it was looking for any information they could gather as well. I do hope they hear something, but from what his sister said on her Facebook page, That they got news from the coast guard, it was not good. and she mentioned ( I forget what forum) they were planning a funeral. Makayla Dennis is her name. I too will be looking to see what I can find out until I hear otherwise.

For Matthew. Rest in Peace.

Crossing the Bar
Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

Author: Alfred, Lord Tennyson

I understand for me to say that i do not feel hes gone, passed, fits with the facts. But i cant shake the feeling that i feel hes in trble and still out there. Im not throwing in the towel yet. Any possible way that he could be floating lost with no wind or engine power? Did coast guard see see signs of a boat sunk or floating debree? The towel was thrown in after a couple weeks. He had enough water for a month. Had fishing gear. I cant seem to shake the feeling hes still alive. Im sure im wrong but. People have drifted in there boats far out to sea b4 and survived when people on land had already lost all hope.

I understand for me to say that i do not feel hes gone, passed, fits with the facts. But i cant shake the feeling that i feel hes in trble and still out there. Im not throwing in the towel yet. Any possible way that he could be floating lost with no wind or engine power? Did coast guard see see signs of a boat sunk or floating debree? The towel was thrown in after a couple weeks. He had enough water for a month. Had fishing gear. I cant seem to shake the feeling hes still alive. Im sure im wrong but. People have drifted in there boats far out to sea b4 and survived when people on land had already lost all hope.
Other than hope, which is admirable, where is the evidence though? Because a hurricane likely impacted the area where he was sailing & his preparations appear to be inadequate at best & haphazard at worst, I think the family should pick any period of mourning & remembrance that feels right to them.

As they say: "Matthew will forever be remembered by his last text; when asked if he was okay, despite his struggles, he replied, "Yes, alive and it's a beautiful sunset".

For Matthew. Rest in Peace.

Crossing the Bar
Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

Author: Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Thank You @WingsOverTX . I was not familiar with this. It's beautiful.

Other than hope, which is admirable, where is the evidence though? Because a hurricane likely impacted the area where he was sailing & his preparations appear to be inadequate at best & haphazard at worst, I think the family should pick any period of mourning & remembrance that feels right to them.

As they say: "Matthew will forever be remembered by his last text; when asked if he was okay, despite his struggles, he replied, "Yes, alive and it's a beautiful
Are you assuming that i feel my feelings are above the familys? I assure you i do not. As a mother that also lost my son at his exact age. I wont explain myself even further on that part of it. No need to.
This is a forum to discuss our theorys, facts, or possibilitys. There seems to be no proof either way that his boat sank or didnt. Correct me if im wrong. There is proof, even though unlikely that he "could" be adrift for that long by my research into every missing boat survival storys at sea all over the world. Research on each soul on board when they survived adrift at sea and have survived at great odds. It is possible, unlikely, but possible. He had a month of water that could be stretched further and had ability to fish. He stated that. Based on those facts i feel even if slight, it is possible. That is me righting on a forum for talking about these cases. That is what this forum is about.

As they say: "Matthew will forever be remembered by his last text; when asked if he was okay, despite his struggles, he replied, "Yes, alive and it's a beautiful sunset".

Are you assuming that i feel my feelings are above the familys? I assure you i do not. As a mother that also lost my son at his exact age. I wont explain myself even further on that part of it. No need to.
This is a forum to discuss our theorys, facts, or possibilitys. There seems to be no proof either way that his boat sank or didnt. Correct me if im wrong. There is proof, even though unlikely that he "could" be adrift for that long by my research into every missing boat survival storys at sea all over the world. Research on each soul on board when they survived adrift at sea and have survived at great odds. It is possible, unlikely, but possible. He had a month of water that could be stretched further and had ability to fish. He stated that. Based on those facts i feel even if slight, it is possible. That is me righting on a forum for talking about these cases. That is what this forum is about.
I'm sorry for your loss & grief. It is such an individual process.

This family issued a public obit. I am not saying they made the right choice (and certainly agree many people would feel it is premature) but it was their choice.

Your feelings are very important. Your journey gives you insight I don't have into this type of loss.

May all who mourn find comfort & healing.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd