Screen_Shot_2019-03-15_at_4.44.42_PM_kfyhbi

Bowser Road in Wallkill (Orange County) Photo Credit: Google Maps

Homicide: McDonald, Megan

Basic Information
Race:
White

Additional Information
Miscellaneous:
On 03/15/03, Megan McDonald, age 20, was found murdered in a field in the Town of Wallkill, Orange County, New York.

f you have any information, please call:
Agency: New York State Police
Address: SP Middletown
Phone: (845) 344-5300

or e-mail the information to:
nysvicap@troopers.ny.gov
Please include your
name, address and
telephone number.

More Links:

Police continue looking for clues in 2003 murder of young woman

https://highlandscurrent.org/2018/03/20/cold-case-help-find-her-killer/

HELP: Large Reward Offered to Help Find Hudson Valley Woman's Killer

https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/nor...r-old-area-homicide-remains-a-mystery/749597/

Who Killed Megan McDonald?

“The New York State Police continue to investigate the 2003 homicide of a 20-year-old Orange County college student. Megan McDonald’s body was found March 15, 2003, in a field off Bowser Road in Wallkill. The cause of death was determined to be blunt force trauma. At the time of her death, McDonald worked at the Galleria Mall in Middletown and was attending SUNY Orange County Community College. Anyone with information about the case can contact SP Middletown Bureau of Criminal Investigation at 845-344-5300, or the Troop F Major Crimes confidential tip line at 845-344-5370.

Unsolved Wallkill murder billboards posted

“The family of Megan McDonald, who was killed in Wallkill in 2003, is putting up billboards asking for help in solving her murder.

The billboards lining Route 211 in Middletown feature the victim's face and the message: "Know something? Say something. Help solve the murder of Megan McDonald."

Police say the 20-year-old woman was beaten to death. Her body was found in a field off Bowser Road on March 15, 2003.”

Any signs of sexual assault? Megan attended SUNY Community college in Wallkill. Approx 85 miles away in Albany, NY, another SUNY college student, Suzanne Lyall, went missing in “98. Moo

Disappearance of Suzanne Lyall in 1998

“Suzanne G. Lyall, 19, was last seen getting off the bus at 9:40 p.m. at Collins Circle on the SUNY Albany campus on on March 2, 1998. She never returned to her dormitory. Her ATM card was used at a Stewarts Shop in Albany the next day. Two months later, her employee ID for Babbage Software was discovered at Collins Circle. Police continue to actively investigate this case.”

TOWN OF WALLKILL — On March 15, 2003, 20-year-old Megan McDonald's body was found in a muddy field off Bowser Road in the Town of Wallkill.

The Middletown woman, a John S. Burke Catholic High graduate who waitressed at The American Cafe and attended SUNY Orange, who loved orange cats and the color red and had a brilliant smile, had been severely beaten. She was left in that spot off a back road, not far from a Metro-North right-of-way. Her car was found two days later, parked at Kensington Manor Apartments a few miles away.

Her homicide remains unsolved.

But don't call it a "cold case."

"It has never been a 'cold case.' They've never run out of leads," said Megan's sister, Karen Whalen. "As hard as 17 years is without an answer, we've never lost hope that this will come to a conclusion for us, an ending. We've never lost hope that there will be an arrest."

Police have never given up hope, either, as they've worked the case all these years.

"This isn't a race at this point. It's a marathon," said Investigator Brad Natalizio, lead on the case for the past two years. "It's a team effort. Not only with the state police, but with the community. The community really wants this case solved."

In 2019, state police launched an electronic billboard campaign drawing attention to Megan's case.

recordonline.com

Was Megan dating anyone? She waitressed at the American Cafe. Was/is this an eatery on campus? Was her vehicle impounded and did it undergo forensics? How tall was she? Her car seat could speak volumes if it were noticeably in a position unlike the way Megan drove it. Did she frequent the Kensington Manor Apts? Wonder if any occupants of the complex could verify if the car had been there for two days or not. Severely beaten seems personal yet if sexual assault was present I can’t discount this being a random killing. MOO IMO

On the anniversary of the murder of Megan McDonald 17 years ago, state police continue to investigate her murder. | NYSP Newsroom

“The New York State Police Troop F, Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) at SP Middletown, continue to investigate the 2003 murder of Megan McDonald.

McDonald’s body was found on March 15, 2003, in a field off Bowser Road in the town of Wallkill in Orange County. Her 1991 white Mercury Sable was subsequently recovered in the Kensington Manner parking lot in the town of Wallkill. The cause of death was determined to be blunt force trauma. At the time of her death, McDonald worked at the Galleria Mall in Middletown and was attending SUNY Orange County Community College.

Anyone with information about this case can contact Investigator Michael Corletta, SP Middletown BCI at (845) 344-5359 or Investigator Brad Natalizio, Troop F Major Crimes at (845) 344-5378. Anonymous calls may be left on the Troop F Major Crimes confidential tip line at (845) 344-5370.

Middletown woman's slaying still resonates 16 years later

TOWN OF WALLKILL — Megan McDonald was friendly and generous, with a quick smile and a kind heart, and 16 years ago someone killed her.

The killer's identity remains a mystery.

"On Friday, it'll be 5,844 days without her," said McDonald's sister, Karen Whalen. "There has not been a day gone by when we haven't thought about her."

On March 15, 2003, someone who lived nearby found McDonald, fatally beaten, in a muddy field off Bowser Road in the Town of Wallkill. Her car, a 1991 Mercury Sable GS, was found a couple of days later parked outside Kensington Manor apartments. The case remains unsolved.
McDonald was 20. She was a waitress at The American Grill and took classes at SUNY Orange, and she had just moved into a new apartment on Karen Drive in Middletown.

State police plan to roll out billboards, social media posts and a press release on Friday to coincide with the anniversary, in hopes of moving someone to come forward.

They know the case resonates with the community: McDonald's former classmates at John S. Burke Catholic High School in Goshen, the people she knew from living, working and socializing in Scotchtown and elsewhere in the Town of Wallkill. The case resonates with cops, too, said state police Investigator Brad Natalizio, and this is the community's case.

McDonald had a way of connecting with people.

She just saw through things, and made you feel better," Whalen said.

"She was always smiling, so she made you feel warm and comfortable in her presence," said her mom, Elizabeth McDonald.

Megan McDonald loved the color red, and loved orange cats, like the kitten she found in the street and named Simba, and the kitten they got to keep him company, Nala.

The people who love McDonald have so many memories of her: wearing bib overalls, with tiny Nala tucked in the pocket. Pouring milk for children at the Guild of St. Margaret soup kitchen in Middletown. At that last Christmas in 2002, making her distinctive happy "purring" sound as she opened a red package. Her "mega-kilowatt smile."

she had just moved into a new apartment on Karen Drive in Middletown.

“the people she knew from living, working and socializing in Scotchtown and elsewhere in the Town of Wallkill.”

So she did frequent Wallkill. New apartment. Neighbor? Maintenance worker or utility worker? Or was she in Wallkill? Hopefully the apt communities were questioned. Hers and where her car was found. MOO

Google Maps
According to this map, Karen Drive (Where Megan lived) to the Kensington Apartments in Middletown, (where her Sable was located two days later) is about 8 miles depending on what end of Karen she lived. Megan’s body was found dumped on Bowser Rd in the town of Wallkill.(Approx 5 miles Just north of Middletown) See map below.
Google Maps

Even today, Bowser road is in a desolate area. Looks like a gas station is in the area but that’s about it. There is a creek that runs just behind Bowser road, if the perp was familiar with this area, wouldn’t he/she dump her there to keep her hidden longer? Or was this someone that pulled over and dumped her body in the field to get out of dodge quickly or to have her found quickly? Or both? The latter speaks more to a seasoned perp, someone that has either done this before or had envisioned his kills. It could also mean they weren’t intending to revisit the scene by hiding the body which could point to a reckless kill, unlike a serial killer. MOO

Was Megan dating anyone? She waitressed at the American Cafe. Was/is this an eatery on campus? Was her vehicle impounded and did it undergo forensics? How tall was she? Her car seat could speak volumes if it were noticeably in a position unlike the way Megan drove it. Did she frequent the Kensington Manor Apts? Wonder if any occupants of the complex could verify if the car had been there for two days or not. Severely beaten seems personal yet if sexual assault was present I can’t discount this being a random killing. MOO IMO

I went to high school @ Burke with Megan. I am 2 years older but knew her and can answer a few questions. Yes, she had a boyfriend and no the cafe was not on campus. From what I understand her car was dumped at Kensington Manor (I am unaware of anyone she knew there but I was also no longer close to her at the time of her death). I have my theories and obviously there are rumors but thats all, rumors. Megan was such a sweet girl. Such a sad situation. I pray always for her family and more awareness to her case.

When this happened she was moving i to a new apartment. Megan's school, OCCC, was in Wallkill/Middletown and so was the mall where her job was. Kensington Manor is extremely close to the mall
Seems she lived in Middleton. Did she live alone? Still at home with family? Did she frequent Wallkill? This could be a dumping spot for the perp but how did her car get there? So many questions. Here is a map from Wallkill to Middleton.

wallkill ny to middletown ny - Google Search

Seems she lived in Middleton. Did she live alone? Still at home with family? Did she frequent Wallkill? This could be a dumping spot for the perp but how did her car get there? So many questions. Here is a map from Wallkill to Middleton.

wallkill ny to middletown ny - Google Search
I'm very familiar with the area so just to clarify, that is a different Wallkill. (It's a hamlet in Ulster County with a population of about 2000.) The field where she was found was just a few miles from where she lived, in the Town of Walkill. (Population is about 28,000)

The Town of Walkill surrounds the City of Middletown, which is in Orange County. The Galleria at Crystal Run is about 2.5 miles from Kensington Manor Apartments. The American Cafe, where she worked, was in the Galleria at that time.

I remember when her body was found and I'm glad to hear the case is still active!

Middletown has a high crime rate compared to surrounding towns. I've always thought the crime was committed by a stranger, or at least not someone she was close to. Maybe a local familiar with the area.

Imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back