NY NY - Mena Rezkalla, 17, Syracuse, 29 March 2014

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by los2188, Mar 31, 2014.

1. los2188

los2188 North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

Superintendent: Alexandria Central foreign exchange student missing -

ALEXANDRIA BAY —
    http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20140331/NEWS09/703319877

2. poppygirl

poppygirl Active Member

They need to release a picture!

3. TripleA

TripleA New Member

This school is right up the road from me. I can't figure out how the host family mom left Syracuse without him being with her? Did she report him missing while she was at the mall still? The mall is about 1 1/2 hour from where they live. Where is the photo? Did he have a cell phone? Money? WTH?

4. poppygirl

poppygirl Active Member

5. TravelingBug

TravelingBug Verified Insider

We had another of these in the last year or two didn't we? Indian or Korean I think? And I think also no name/details released....and also at a mall.

Anyone remember details? Or even if he (pretty sure it was a male in that case also) was found?

6. TripleA

TripleA New Member

Attached Files:

7. JLMcKenna83

JLMcKenna83 LOL ≠ Lots of Luck

Cny Central.com - Missing Egyptian exchange student boarded bus to New York City

News Channel 9 - Police: Exchange student missing from North Country school district boarded bus to NYC on his own

Sryacuse.com - Missing Egyptian exchange student boarded bus to New York City, police say

8. TripleA

TripleA New Member

Just saw the update about the bus to NYC. I wonder if he is trying to go home. NYC is really not a great place for a teenager who is not familiar with the area. Hope that he is okay and that he has contacted his parents.

9. TripleA

TripleA New Member

I heard two rumors today - complete opposites. One I that he is trying to get home and the other that he is avoiding going home. Either way I pray for his safety in the city.

10. TravelingBug

Clearer picture (though still from a distance) here - http://www.syracuse.com/news/index...._boarded_bus_to_new_york_city_police_say.html

Curious what makes them say this the way they clearly seem to be emphasizing it...

11. TripleA

TripleA New Member

I assume it is just a word choice and no real emphasis intended - JMO.

12. ellabella

ellabella Member

Having been part of a foreign exchange program where a participant "defected"(ie. ran away in an attempt to stay) that was my first guess as well. Still hoping he is safe, a lot of these kids don't understand the huge implications of their decisions. I know my friend certainly didn't.

13. monkey222

monkey222 Active Member

Has he been found in NYC? No respect for program he is in, worrying host parents, spending LE resources, our tax$, IMO revoke visa now.

14. TripleA

TripleA New Member

Nothing new that I can find today. Are they even looking for him in NYC?

15. nycgrl

nycgrl New Member

He could be anywhere in the US by now. NYC is a huge transportation hub, especially if he took something like Megabus (which stops in Syracuse) and was transferring. Megabus can be super cheap too if you buy your ticket in advance. I got a roundtrip ticket from NY to Boston for $2 once..

I wonder when his visa was to expire? I may be wrong, but I assume it's not easy to get a visa from Egypt to the US. Or to get it renewed.

Did he have friends from Egypt staying anywhere in the US?

16. monkey222

monkey222 Active Member

:denied:Student visa based on staying with host family. Now he is on the run. I sure want to know what the follow-up is.

17. TripleA

TripleA New Member

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Missing-Egyptian-Student-Not-A-Terrorist-Friend-Says-253870881.html

"Maybe in his mind his only option was to run away to stay here in America," said Skylar Pastor, a friend of missing Egyptian foreign exchange student Mena Rezkalla.

That's why Pastor thinks Rezkalla ran away from a group trip to Destiny USA in Syracuse and boarded a bus bound for New York City. The two met at a Watertown church last fall.

"He gave me a bookmark actually, an Egyptian bookmark with hieroglyphs," she said. "He was just really nice and sweet. He was polite and friendly."

18. monkey222

monkey222 Active Member

He is breaking the rules. There are lawful avenues for staying here.

19. TravelingBug

The start of that article strikes me as so odd.

I get that they're quoting the friend (who, clearly is qualified in saying whether he's a terrorist or not. Not. :facepalm:) but she clearly had said something else prior.

His only option for what? What was he running from or trying to get away from? Or?

Am I alone in feeling like it reads awkwardly or am I just missing something and being very obtuse at the moment?

20. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

This sounds a bit like victim bashing since we really don't know anything yet. He is a kid, and in a foreign land, please consider that too.