NY NY - New York, WhtMale, 60-80, military tattoos, Mar'93

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by Coffee56, May 12, 2018.

1. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Unite...love will always win.

Wondering still if this UID could be him, but could they have been so far "off" about the age...hmmmmm

2. Bit of hope

I never got a reaction....so sad.

apearn and coffeeandacig like this.
  3. apearn

apearn Paratrooper John Doe, May 1984, Florida #UP1254

This is a bit of a loose match but here is an interesting one I ran across: Jack Murrian – The Charley Project

Newspapers say he was an Air Force pilot. Those tattoos don't scream USAF to me but he could have re-enlisted and changed branches. They seem to have one scar in common.

Civil Air Patrol Suspends Search For Missing Pilot
    AROUND CENTRAL FLORIDA BRIEFS
    May 7, 1991
    MELBOURNE — The Civil Air Patrol has suspended its search for a Melbourne pilot missing since April 24 but volunteers said they haven't given up hope.

''We'll be manning a 24-hour hot line indefinitely,'' said the Rev. Joe Hunt of the Lockmar Baptist Church, where pilot Jack Murrian is a deacon. The number is 984-0191.

Murrian, 61, was last seen April 24 when he took off at 4:30 p.m. from Melbourne Regional Airport in his single-engine Piper Commanche. Civil Air Patrol pilots searched for 11 days.

Flier Still Can't Be Found After Search In Brevard
    State
    April 29, 1991
    MELBOURNE — Civil Air Patrol officials scoured parts of Central Florida this weekend for a 61-year-old former Air Force officer who disappeared Wednesday after a solo flight.

The man, whom officials refused to identify because of a request from his family, left Melbourne Regional Airport about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, said patrol Lt. Col. Cheryl Miller. His single-engine Piper Commanche is white with red and black trim.

Missing Person Case

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Bit of hope likes this.
  4. Bit of hope

Good to see that you are still looking out for this UID. I think the story is a bit "off" in relation to this UID. They never found the plain, which is strange, so he probably went down in a remote aria. Also the missing date is confusing. MP went missing approx. April 1993, this UID was found in March. I don't know.....and then we have the tattoos. Not mentioned with MP, but they could be there...IMO it's not a match.

apearn and coffeeandacig like this.
  5. apearn

MP went missing in April 1991 - UID was found in March 1993.

I found some info on the MP having been spotted an hour after his take-off doing touch and goes at a nearby airport so it doesn't sound like he took off and flew north. One suggestion in the news article is that he had a medical episode because he never radioed for help. That makes sense. I'd bet his plane is out in the ocean somewhere.

Ok then, who else do we have missing who may fit the bill here?

Bit of hope likes this.
  6. Bit of hope

So it's not sure that the pilot really aired, is this what you are saying? Can you give the source.

The good thing is, I will keep this lost pilot in my memory....maybe he fits other UID's who will come along as I search and I can make a click.

apearn likes this.
  7. Bit of hope

I will search for other entry's in the veterans world to ask my questions about the tattoos...somebody has to know something more about them...where they are coming from, what they mean...

I saw he is on Veteran Doe now...that's great...Veteran Doe

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    apearn likes this.
  8. apearn

He apparently took off and then was practicing touch and goes at another airport like 9 miles south about an hour later. "THE ACFT WAS SPOTTED 1 HOUR 25 MINUTES AFTER DEPARTURE AT AN airport LOCATED 9 NAUTICAL MILES SSE OF THE DEPARTURE airport, PERFORMING TOUCH AND GO LANDINGS. THE ACFT THEN DEPARTED TO THE NW. "

I had thought maybe he "took off" for a new life up north but it doesn't look that way. NW takes him out over that marsh area.

9. Bit of hope

coffeeandacig, apearn and Melt71 like this.
  10. Bit of hope

Reviewing this mp. BTW I just send the coroner an email about a possible match between Donald Allen Warren and this UID The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

At first I thought this could be a match, but seeing the UID PM I'm not so sure. The chin of John Doe looks so much longer...and also height wouldn't fit. What stands out to me is his seemingly relatively small mouth but that also could be a "death mask". Also the scar on JD's chin is very explicit. Good to know and see.The picture of Donald is just to grainy to see a possible scar but JD could also gotten it later in life.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    apearn likes this.
  11. Bit of hope

There is no scar on JD chin but on his shin. Sorry I mixed things up.

apearn likes this.
  12. Melt71

Melt71 Well-Known Member

apearn and Bit of hope like this.
  13. Bit of hope

I looked through Charley Project, the Doe Network and searched Namus (again) but I didn't find somebody that stood out to me in particular.

apearn likes this.
  14. Tabirey

Tabirey Music Addict

My veteran hubby believes his tattoo on his left forearm is calvary. Unfortunately, if this gentleman is a Vietnam Vet, they may not have records for him. Many Vietnam Vet records are scattered or lost. When my Dad passed, I requested his file and many of his DD214'S were not able to be found. He would have had several as he was in for 22 years. I received 2 with an apology stating that before digitalization, many records were either lost or destroyed. They didn't even have my Dad's fingerprints.

15. Bit of hope

Thank you for your insights (and your husband's). Do you know how cavalry fits in a war setting, in South East Asia for instance (you told us before that the tattoos might have been done in Asia) I can Google of course but sometimes it's better to hear things straight from people themselves. I'm also pondering why somebody would take a tattoo a chiefs head (other then the obvious, when you are indigenous yourself)

Tabirey likes this.
  16. Tabirey

Tabirey Music Addict

I agree about the chief tattoo, other than being indigenous, all I can think of is possibly a sports fan?

As to what they're job during a war would be, my hubby explained that up until WWII, they were horse mounted soldiers. During WWII, they used motorcycles. He doesn't know when they switched to using small vehicles, but that's what they currently use. So, technically, they're motorized soldiers instead of being on foot. He also stated, that depending on this gentleman's age, he could have served either in Vietnam or Korea.

17. Bit of hope

Thanks. I found this.

Aide-de-Camp

[​IMG][​IMG]

Insignia for an aide to a Lieutenant General

Maybe Jack was the Lieutenant General (possibly killed in action?)

Here is the insignia of the 9th cavalry regiment, with an Indian (head tattoo?) History of the 9th Cavalry Regiment - Homepage

[​IMG]

apearn and Tabirey like this.
  18. Startover

Startover Member

Not listed on Doe Network-can someone submit this case please?

19. Bit of hope

houndpounder likes this.
  20. Bit of hope

Tabirey, houndpounder and apearn like this.