NY - Officer Daniel Pantaleo used deadly chokehold on Eric Garner, Staten Island, July 2014

Because it is not black on black crime. It is criminal on criminal crime. The cops are supposed to be the good guys.

The cops are the good guys. That is the problem. They are the good guys. They are trying to keep the multitude safe while arresting a few bad eggs. Then those people resist, get hurt, or die in the process and then it is the cops fault. It isn't. It just isn't. If this man would have complied with police request that day he most likely would be alive today. He did not die because they tried to kill them. He died because he resisted arrest and they had to bring him to the ground for THEIR safety and people around them.

I had a similiar experience before Cabrini was torn down. A group of us girls were on a girls night out and we'd always get lost trying to get back onto 290. We ended up flagging a cop down asking for directions and were told to get out of there quick! I still get lost in that mix of exit ramps....

Cubby, I should have known where you were from.

I believe I just saw on CNN that the family has released the full autopsy report on the victim. Am looking for the link to it. When I find it I will post it. But a Dr just said blood supply was cut off from both sides of the neck.

JMO

So who should be more afraid?

"Collier was one of 27 police officers fatally wounded in the line of duty last year, according to the FBI, which released its annual report on the topic Monday. Forty-nine others died in accidents.

The bureau compiles a wealth of statistics on law enforcement deaths: The number decreased by 45 percent compared with the 49 officers killed in 2012. The average age of the officer killed last year was 39. All but two were white. Two were black. Two were female.

Six were killed while making arrests. Five were ambushed. Four were involved in tactical situations. All but one were killed with a firearm. One was struck and killed by a vehicle."

Compared to...

"Complicating the debate is the fact that there is no reliable national data on how many people are shot by police officers each year. Federal officials allow the nation’s more than 17,000 law enforcement agencies to self-report officer shootings. That figure, Lowery reported, hovers around 400 “justifiable homicides” by law enforcement each year. Several independent trackers, primarily journalists and academics who study criminal justice, insist the accurate number of people shot and killed by police officers each year is consistently upwards of 1,000 each year, Lowery reported."

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/11/24/fbi-reports-27-cops-were-killed-last-year-but-how-many-civilians-were-killed-by-officers/

OT: Can I just say that the Vienna, Austria cops are very nice. Back in 1975, I was drunk as a skunk, and flagged them down thinking they were a taxi. I soon realized my mistake. They very kindly drove me and my friends back to our hotel. So picture an inebriated American whose German was lacking, trying to get directions. They must have lol once we got out. It takes a special person to be a cop. :)

Re the cover up part, I guess I wouldn't use the term cover up, but the cop on the right seemed to know something was wrong. He was the one who attempted to arouse SG and had his hand inside the shirt to feel for breathing. He did a good job. If you watch his body language and his facial expressions, he reminds me of when there is a serious screw up in the hospital. Same face. I think he was the only one there who seemed to have a clue. IMOO
ITA with this and your other posts. Thanks.
<modsnip>

I don't have all the information the grand jury had when they decided not to indict him. From all I have seen so far, I believe he broke NY policy. But because there were so many people who shared culpability in how that chaotic, awful, sad event unfolded, from the first call to the last, SG's actual death couldn't be laid solely at that officer's feet.

As for the protests and big pictures, I don't think anything positive will be accomplished until people demonstrate a desire for true fairness.

<modsnip>

Sent from Tapatalk

The cops are the good guys. That is the problem. They are the good guys. They are trying to keep the multitude safe while arresting a few bad eggs. Then those people resist, get hurt, or die in the process and then it is the cops fault. It isn't. It just isn't. If this man would have complied with police request that day he most likely would be alive today. He did not die because they tried to kill them. He died because he resisted arrest and they had to bring him to the ground for THEIR safety and people around them.

Exactly! And God forbid anyone hold EG responsible for resisting, or his 30+
plus prior arrests. No, all cops are now puppeteers and poor innocent guys like EG are marionettes - completely without responsibility for their actions. ;)

And based on these protests I think we can expect more of the same because SELF responsibility is ancient history this decade.

WOW I detect a 180 in your attitude about LE, from other cases that have been discussed. That is fine, and I respect your opinion. It is noticeable. I think that you are objecting to PROTEST, though, which luckily is still an American citizen's right. Criminal behavior is NOT. JMO

That's what zuri & I were discussing. She feels his carotid artery & then speaks to him.

No, this is before she feels his carotid. What she said was edited out of the video. She says, "Sir" and waits a sec and then looks up and says something that has been edited out.

Interesting how often the worlds of LE and medicine intersect.

After watching so many medical procedures on the tube, easy to think that we're all qualified & ready to perform brain surgery,
At best on a good day, I can take my temp w a thermometer. Pulse rate or other vital sign? Just wild guesses.

Thank you, medical professionals, for enlightening the rest of us on this and other threads.
Very helpful in understanding procedures and expected and unexpected outcomes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoney12
Back