NY - Officer Daniel Pantaleo used deadly chokehold on Eric Garner, Staten Island, July 2014

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by popsicle, Dec 3, 2014.

1. XXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXX Former Member

Since none of us were there or personally know the family, I can only rely on reports like this:

"At the time of his death, the Port Richmond resident had three misdemeanor cases pending in Stapleton Criminal Court. He was free on $2,000 bail.

On Aug. 22 of last year, Garner was arrested on School Road and Bay Street, Fort Wadsworth, for allegedly driving without a license, according to a criminal complaint.

Garner, 43, gave cops a phony name and put himself in more hot water when officers allegedly found untaxed cigarettes and a small amount of marijuana in the 1998 Lincoln Navigator he was driving, the complaint said.

He was charged with aggravated unlicensed vehicle operation, false personation, possession or sale of untaxed cigarettes and marijuana possession, according to information from District Attorney Daniel Donovan's office.

Seven months later, while out on $1,000 bail, Garner was busted on March 28 for allegedly selling unstamped cigarettes on the street outside of 200 Bay St., Tompkinsville. He had 24 packs of untaxed smokes in his possession, police said.

Full article here:

http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2014/07/eric_garner_who_died_in_police.html

The article is not a blog, but rather a Staten Island news source.

2. Truthy

Truthy Member

Will replace with a proper quote and link on Thursday!

3. SStarr33

SStarr33 Inactive

Link please

4. popsicle

popsicle faith hope love

5. XXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXX Former Member

Who determines whether or not an arrest is illegal? The arrestee? And does that arrestee have a law degree to KNOW whether or not the arrest is indeed, "illegal".

This is why I rarely watch CNN and their talking heads. Some of the chit that comes out of their mouths is too ridiculous for some of us to bother with.

6. Truthy

Truthy Member

I can't find where I read it, but know Rachel Maddow covered it on her show. Am looking to see if I can find it on her website.

7. Muffet

Muffet Autocorrect is my worst enema

False, spin, and still OT.
    The instructions are right there for everyone to read for themselves.

Sent from Tapatalk

8. SStarr33

SStarr33 Inactive

9. SStarr33

SStarr33 Inactive

Rachel Maddow? Don't bother with a link.

10. jennapuppy

jennapuppy Well-Known Member

There have been numerous indictments of LEO for using deadly force in the line of duty. It may not happen often, but it does happen. A LEO was convicted of manslaughter recently in my area. It is probably rare for one to be convicted of capital murder. MOO

11. jggordo

jggordo Well-Known Member

Just saw interview with Charles Barkley on CNN. Says he's tired of race baiter pundits on TV and their comments. He agrees with GJ decision. Also says that commentators are "Monday morning quarterbacks" and that Monday morning quarterbacks are the players that "don't have the ball$ to play on Sunday".
    Gotta love that guy...caused me to LOL.

JMO's

12. Truthy

Truthy Member

Okay, but I am curious why you would say that. She prides herself on the accuracy of facts in her reporting. I have never heard of anyone catch her in mistakes, which are pretty common on Fox and CNN.
    The video are not posted yet, might be tomorrow.

13. SStarr33

SStarr33 Inactive

14. SStarr33

SStarr33 Inactive

IMO, she is a spinner just like the rest of them.

15. Truthy

Truthy Member

Nope, true, saying don't necessarily- is to say they CAN rely on that law. And when pressed to clarify the confusion they created- they refused.

“So the statute I gave you, if you want to fold that in half just so that you know don't necessarily rely on that because there is a portion of that that doesn't comply with the law.

“…I don't want you to get confused and don’t rely on that copy or that print-out of the statute that I've given you a long time ago.”

A grand juror asks, “So we’re to disregard this?”

Alizadehanswers: “It is not entirely incorrect or inaccurate, but there is something in it that’s not correct, ignore it totally.”

When a grand juror asks more questions,

Whirley chimes in, “We don’t want to get into a law class.”

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/grand-jury-wrangled-confusing-instructions

16. popsicle

popsicle faith hope love

17. Muffet

Muffet Autocorrect is my worst enema

Someone needs to tell Rachel Maddow or whoever about the forty something officers outright charged for killing in the line of duty in just the seven years before.... 2011, I think. I'll find the link if needed. It's been posted already in other threads.

I guess the fact that 4 officers were indicted over Rodney King even though he didn't die is also easily forgotten or brushed aside if you want. (I think most of us remember, but I'll find a link for that too if necessary. :crazy: )

This case raises a lot of WTH? So far. There's another incident that is such a clear case of abuse that it makes me :mad: even though the officer was immediately fired and charged. I think he's looking at 20 years. The victim didn't die.

But in discussing each case, IMO, we have to keep our facts straight and personal agendas locked up. Judge everyone as an individual, fairly. And don't rely on politically motivated "reporters" for the facts.

Sent from Tapatalk

18. SStarr33

SStarr33 Inactive

19. Truthy

Truthy Member

I find it really odd that people here can focus on the cigarettes and ignore the LEOs record. It is deplorable and incredibly dangerous to allow loose cannons out there. What ws he still doing on the force?

20. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

Another thing with this case that really bugs me.... Don't NYPD know CPR ? They just sat there checking his pulse every now and then. I didn't see one of them check to see if he was breathing or the quality if his breathe. And EMS wasn't much better. Forget everything else. That part right there will win his family a sizeable lawsuit. JMO