NY - Police: 6-Year-Old Hangs Self From Doorknob

ajc2804

Reaction score
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- A 6-year-old boy may have been trying to imitate wrestling moves when he hanged himself from a bedroom doorknob.

A family friend, the Rev. Jimmie Joe Smiley, said Kareem Pendergraph loved to watch wrestling on television.

"That's the only thing they could think of that happened," Smiley told the Syracuse Post Standard.

Kareem's death is particularly tragic for the Syracuse, N.Y., family. Police said the family lost a 7-month-old child from sudden infant death syndrome in 2003 and an 11-month-old child died of pneumonia in 1998.

http://www.wjactv.com/mostpopular/10134668/detail.html

edited by DP due to copyright infringement

that's awful. where on earth would a young kid get such an idea?? and since when do they do stuff like that in wrestling......???

i hope this couple considers adoption since there are so many unwanted children out there. maybe they can't carry on their genes, but all is not lost-- it's not always all about genes.

reb said:
that's awful. where on earth would a young kid get such an idea?? and since when do they do stuff like that in wrestling......???

i hope this couple considers adoption since there are so many unwanted children out there. maybe they can't carry on their genes, but all is not lost-- it's not always all about genes.

I believe you missed the last line of the article:

The boy's father, Kareem Pendergraph, has been in state prison since Sept. 11 for a parole violation.

Mabel said:
I believe you missed the last line of the article:

The boy's father, Kareem Pendergraph, has been in state prison since Sept. 11 for a parole violation.

... I agree, Mabel. Things like this are created by the environment these kids are subjected to. This happened only a few miles away from me.

I'm sure the family loved the boy and my heart goes out to them, but certainly the couple wouldn't be good candidates to adopt other children. The boy's father would have been 16 when the son was born. I wonder how old the mom is. I would assume mom and dad never married as she lives with her parents and has a different last name.

Gotta say - hinky meter going up. That's quite a few statisically improbable accidents to befall a family... 3 dead kids in separate incidents??

In Green Bay, WI, the court convicted a guy who had 2 children die of "SIDS" when a 3rd child died of SIDS later. There was an investigation and the court found that he had killed all 3 children.

Mabel said:
I'm sure the family loved the boy and my heart goes out to them, but certainly the couple wouldn't be good candidates to adopt other children. The boy's father would have been 16 when the son was born. I wonder how old the mom is. I would assume mom and dad never married as she lives with her parents and has a different last name.

... There are situations, such as these, Mabel all over the inner-city. Whenever I get down that way I just feel so sorry for the kid's, it's very sad.

... Your "hinky meter" is correct, Ang! I smelled something rotten when I read about this in the paper this morning. How does a six year old hang himself from a door knob? I hope they're investigating Grandma and Grandpa.

how was it that nobody heard the child struggling for air. it seems that if he was haning from the doorknob by some rope or belt and couldn't free himself he would have been making a huge racket.

OK,, you got me there. i think these 2 need to take a permanent break from making offspring.

I've never seen any wrestling moves with hanging oneself.. This is sad... Hard for me to say if there was foul play in this or not... I don't know what to think...

I have to comment on this one...20 years ago my 9 year old cousin did something similar. He and his twin brother were playing on there bunk beds and the one twin left, that's when his brother tied a bathrobe belt around his neck and was jumping off his bunk bed and the bathrobe got caught on the big nob on the top. When his brother came back he thought he was playing.....he had pretended to be choking before so the other brother thought he was doing it again and walked out to tell on him. It was to late and he didn't make it. I was also 9 at the time and was horribly hurt and his mother still refuses that anyone gets bunkbeds.

While I do think that this particular case does inquire an investigation it is possible. But I agree 3 kids makes my hinky meter go off.

So sorry about your cousin. I remember my father would FREAK OUT whenever we put something around our necks - he had a friend accidently hang himself. My husband's childhood friend did as well... awful accidents.

SIDS is also something that is just awful and unexplained. (in most cases)

But there are sure a lot of stats out of whack -

For instance, in 1997, 167 kids ages 1-4 died of pneumonia. http://www.disastercenter.com/cdc/111riskb.html

In 2002, 2,295 kids died of SIDS.
http://www.childdeathreview.org/nationalchildmortalitydata.htm

And from that same source, same year - 953 died of accidental strangulation/suffocation. BUT - this stat includes all kids from 0-19.

So... what are the chances in your life of having 3 kids die from these things?

Either they have some really bad luck. Or like others have said , something is not right. Im surprised they didnt hear anything. :( poor baby.

hmm multiple deaths makes u wonder.

i knew a family had 3 boys, 1 girl. During the first 20 years of marriage one boy died of crib death 4 months, one developed a brain tumor lived to abt 20, the other had a heart attack at age 16. The girl was always fine. I think it can be in the genes. Plus the parents were always drinkers, no drugs.

We had a 9 yo boy in our neighborhood that accidently hung himself last spring. sooooo... sad.

Strange things happen to kids through missadventure from time to time. Since when has someone hung themselves whilst wrestling.I have never seen anything regarding wrestlers pretending to hang themselves. My son loves the wrestling and we watch it occasionally.He knows it is BS and that they are acting. One family with so many young child deaths is surely being looked into. Could just be coincidence though.Poor kid.

My son is always playing with strings and ropes, hanging his army men from them ect....I watch him like a hawk and ALWAYS put them up at night. I am so scared of stuff like that.

3 children in the same family dying due to 'strange' circumstances?!?!?
:waitasec: :banghead: The parents need to be investigated immediately.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back