Deceased/Not Found NY - Saniyya Dennis, 19, SUNY College Student, Buffalo, 24 Apr 2021

Missing Buffalo student's family refutes suicide claim by DA | PIX11

The family of Buffalo State College student Saniyya Dennis, who disappeared from campus two weeks ago, released a scathing statement Friday night refuting the local district attorney’s assertion that the Bronx teen died by suicide.

Dennis’ family said on Friday they do not agree with Flynn’s narrative that she died by suicide and accused the district attorney of sharing details of her case without conferring with them first.

The statement challenged or refuted more than a dozen assertions laid out by Flynn during his news conference.

“Odd, Flynn held his conference days before Mother’s Day without any regard for the Dennis family,” the statement said. “Upon careful review and consideration of the allegations presented by District Attorney Flynn regarding the issues surrounding the disappearance of Saniyya Dennis, we respectfully disagree with his presentation and were shocked by his assertion that he shared information with our family regarding her disappearance and his findings of suicide.”

Dennis’ family also alleged the college minimized her disappearance as “nonurgent” — conflicting with the district attorney’s assertion she died by suicide — and accused Flynn of misrepresenting evidence during his news conference, including the video confirming she was in Niagra Falls State Park.

The family also raised issues with the Snapchat post Flynn referenced and suggested it could have been doctored.

The family chastised Flynn for putting forth a narrative that was “an easy sell” without considering alternative scenarios involving foul play.

The family demanded a federal investigation by the Department of Justice Civil Rights Division.

The family doesn’t believe it was suicide?
So they think foul play?

I’m confused, thought they had a timeline and hours long phone call with a friend regarding suicide and the breakup with her boyfriend (and subsequent multiple unanswered calls to him afterwards), etc.

Is there something they think LE is not doing or hiding?

So they think foul play?

I’m confused, thought they had a timeline and hours long phone call with a friend regarding suicide and the breakup with her boyfriend (and subsequent multiple unanswered calls to him afterwards), etc.

IMO for them this is about face-saving and suicide (and mental health in general) being taboo, which is sad. She wasn't going to talk to her parents about it. The facts of the case are simply not accepted by the family. I don't blame them but the people who used this family's grief to try to score political points should know better.

ETA: I might have to take it back if it turns out it wasn't the family's stance after all.

Last edited:

The family of Buffalo State College student Saniyya Dennis, who disappeared from campus two weeks ago, released a scathing statement Friday night refuting the local district attorney’s assertion that the Bronx teen died by suicide.

Dennis’ family said on Friday they do not agree with Flynn’s narrative that she died by suicide and accused the district attorney of sharing details of her case without conferring with them first.

The statement challenged or refuted more than a dozen assertions laid out by Flynn during his news conference.

“Odd, Flynn held his conference days before Mother’s Day without any regard for the Dennis family,” the statement said. “Upon careful review and consideration of the allegations presented by District Attorney Flynn regarding the issues surrounding the disappearance of Saniyya Dennis, we respectfully disagree with his presentation and were shocked by his assertion that he shared information with our family regarding her disappearance and his findings of suicide.”
I just read something that made me believe that perhaps the news media published this too quickly.

This is so sad! :( I do hope they keep searching for her or find her body so that the family can have closure.

Even if Saniyya's remains are found, her family might not accept suicide as the cause of death :( Does anyone here remember the case of Teleka Patrick who went missing from Western Michigan University in 2014? Her body was found in a lake in Indiana. There were indications that Teleka had mental health issues that her family refused to acknowledge. Saniyya's disappearance and/or demise reminded me of the 2014 case that was actively discussed on Websleuths.

Missing Michigan doctor likely drowned, autopsy shows (usatoday.com)

Last edited:
This case reminds me of the LSU student, K. Gauthier. The parents were in disbelief for a while. But, after extensive searches and bridge videos, the family accepted the reality that their beloved child, sister, and niece committed suicide.
Do LE and DA actually need the parents' permission before releasing information?

If her family feels information was released in an insensitive way, I think there is something to be learned from that.

Having watched the press conference in full, some of the family's allegations seem a bit absurd. DA Flynn came off as being very respectful and careful. Here are some quotes:

"I presented it to her parents yesterday afternoon, everything I just told you, gave you. ... Mother just can't accept daughter did this, none of us can. ... Father asked me if I would not use the word 'suicide' and he said can you just use the phrase 'missing person.' ... I said, I am not going to use the word 'suicide,' use the word 'took her own life.'"

"Let me just reiterate, do i hope that I look like a fool and she shows up somewhere okay? Gosh, yes, make me look like a fool, I don't care. I hope she shows up, somewhere, and then, if that happens, God willing, we can get this girl some help."

"I feel awful, I feel awful that I don't have a conclusion, that I can't give these parents her daughter, but that's what we have."

DA Flynn also talked about how LE couldn't any aerial craft up until 5/1/21 due to weather, and that they were running 4-5 times/day with two helicopters and one drone.

I hope dog teams are able to continue their assist in the recovery of this poor girl.

This is a tragic time for those who love Saniyya Dennis. IMO
Sorry I am a few days late but according to the k9 handler the dogs went to the water and he had a hard time keeping them from going in to continue. They must have picked up something onto the rocks.

So they think foul play?

I doubt fouls play is involved. Suicide is likely but I could even go with accidental. Perhaps she dropped her phone or something and slipped. Recovery is not likely imo and living around the falls for over 40 years.

Thanks for all the updates... IMO
- I do hope the DA is wrong and she shows up somewhere alive and well. People do sometime disappear voluntarily to start life anew. They fool LE and their family/friend.
- seems like lots of fake news on SM. It seems more like a long shot vs the facts stated by DA.
- her dad is a rapper called 40cal. I haven't seen that in sms.
- I was reading about niagara falls and suicides. Many bodies are never found! The Canadian side is the most used for suicides because the water flow, etc. are more dangerous. Good that is closed.

Watching and waiting for news on SD

Oh dear. I got Kendrick Johnson vibes early on. I had hope until I read about the dogs trying to get into the water. But is it possible she scrubbed down with deodorant wipes, changed into fresh clothing, tossed her old clothing into the rocks, and walked away?

Oh dear. I got Kendrick Johnson vibes early on. I had hope until I read about the dogs trying to get into the water. But is it possible she scrubbed down with deodorant wipes, changed into fresh clothing, tossed her old clothing into the rocks, and walked away?

The dogs pick up scent from skin cells that we lose, so I don't think clean clothing and deodorant would make a difference. She would still have her scent and lose skin cells as she walked.
My amateur opinion only.

She is on camera crossing the bridge to Goat Island, but there's no record of her leaving.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back