Deceased/Not Found NY - Saniyya Dennis, 19, SUNY College Student, Buffalo, 24 Apr 2021

I’m guessing the family hasn’t talked to the ex boyfriend or to the friend she was on the phone with for HOURS?

She didn’t have a roommate due to Covid and he broke up with her over the phone, so that could have contributed to her feeling isolated and not having someone physically to talk to?

I wonder if her classes were remote or in person.

I hope the parents find the answers they seek.

Saw this today:

Family of missing teen Saniyya Dennis remains vigilant in search

"Saniyya Dennis’ family cleared out her dorm room at Buffalo State College and remain determined to find her. Dennis has been missing since April 24 when she left the college to go to Niagara Falls. A district attorney ruled Dennis committed suicide––however, mounting evidence the family has says otherwise."

Saw this today:

"Saniyya Dennis’ family cleared out her dorm room at Buffalo State College and remain determined to find her. Dennis has been missing since April 24 when she left the college to go to Niagara Falls. A district attorney ruled Dennis committed suicide––however, mounting evidence the family has says otherwise."
Apparently a different representative is now working with the family. This part is encouraging (no flat-out denial):

“There has been a continued effort to find Saniyya since the DA made his statement regarding her taking her own life,” Carter said. “There’s a daily search at the gorge at Artpark State Park in Lewiston where bodies would surface and that’s been going on since May 30.”

The new representative still thinks that the police aren't doing enough to find her.

Last edited:
Apparently a different representative is now working with the family. This part is encouraging (no flat-out denial):

“There has been a continued effort to find Saniyya since the DA made his statement regarding her taking her own life,” Carter said. “There’s a daily search at the gorge at Artpark State Park in Lewiston where bodies would surface and that’s been going on since May 30.”

The new representative still thinks that the police aren't doing enough to find her.
One of the harshest realities of life I've encountered is facing the fact that the world keeps turning after a loved one dies. It's hard to accept that life goes on. It was so painful to live through that, when almost paralyzed in grief over losing someone to see the world keep moving. To face that while knowing the body is out there but not found must be overwhelming. I do feel for them. It's hard.

jmo

A family in this terrible situation wants their loved one recovered. When they see resources pulled back or stop all together in the search/recovery that leaves them in a helpless state. On the flip side, a SAR mission will only go on for so long. Then the environment/terrain has to be considered and they will take the safety of those who actually are searching into consideration, and they have to. Again, this is a terrible situation and families are often shocked when search efforts stop, but they have to at some point, especially when they know probability of survival is gone. If LE has strong evidence to believe she ended her life by jumping in the water, they are also not going to investigate foul play or look for a missing person they presume to have committed suicide. Again, a terrible position for the family. IMO

There is a typo in this quote, BBM, which is still standing on this link:
http://amsterdamnews.com/news/2021/may/20/family-missing-teen-saniyya-dennis-remains-vigilan/
I assume they meant April 30.
It’s discouraging when mistakes like this are made in reporting that simple proofreading could catch and fix.
No matter, this is a tragic case that I hope can be resolved for the peace of the family of this precious young lady.

One of the harshest realities of life I've encountered is facing the fact that the world keeps turning after a loved one dies. It's hard to accept that life goes on. It was so painful to live through that, when almost paralyzed in grief over losing someone to see the world keep moving. To face that while knowing the body is out there but not found must be overwhelming. I do feel for them. It's hard.

jmo
Yes, it’s a harsh and painful truth.

On the hyperlink for "mounds of evidence" is anyone else getting this strange popup to log in? It's not like a news paywall or anything.

View attachment 298002
My speculation: Initially the content at the link was freely accessible (it is likely the infamous 12-page press release), but the news publication has since been informed about its inaccuracy so they privated it. Parts of the release could also be libelous.

Last edited:

jmo

I had to comment on this. I had a nephew pass away very tragically at 16 years old in a weight lifting accident. Because of the small town and nature of his passing, everyone in the county knew. I have always explained that period of grieving as you just did. Very surreal. Hard to understand how the world is still spinning, the radio host still talking - normal day to day actions going on, when our worlds were totally stood still.
It sounds silly, but that is the feeling I’ve had dealing with such tragic loss.

8 months later we were blessed with a new baby nephew (two different siblings of mine). 5 mos later we had to say goodbye to him. He was born with a defect not caught in womb, and wasn’t able to recover from it.

I was never a seriously religious person, but It was at this time period that I questioned God, and everything about a higher power.

I truly hope the family finds answers that will give them peace. I can’t ever imagine being in their spot.

This article says that Saniyya told her friend that she was going to jump off a bridge.

Link: DA Says Missing College Student Died by Suicide at Niagara Falls After Break Up

Yeah, I don't love this:

“It appears that this poor girl took her own life,” Flynn said. K-9 dogs found her scent in the park there, and she also took a Snapchat selfie with the falls in the background. Flynn said she told a friend she was going to jump off a bridge, but no body has been found.

I know, I know, I was not raised in the digital age; but to Snapchat yourself in front of Niagara Falls when you are there to kill yourself? If I were the family, I think I'd be side-eyeing this pretty hard myself. We haven't seen the posts in question; but it certainly seems to lay some space and room open for reasonable doubt.

I know, I know, I was not raised in the digital age; but to Snapchat yourself in front of Niagara Falls when you are there to kill yourself? If I were the family, I think I'd be side-eyeing this pretty hard myself. We haven't seen the posts in question; but it certainly seems to lay some space and room open for reasonable doubt.
She wasn't in the picture taken from her last Snapchat story. The picture of Niagara Falls at night was saved due to one of her acquaintances commenting on it the next day. Saniyya was there for almost 1.5 hours, during which she sent several texts (including to her mother and to a dorm colleague) and spoke to a friend for 45 minutes. She had plenty of time to publish the Snapchat story during that time. It would have taken her seconds. The friend said the she went from suicidal to telling him that she changed her mind, although she lied about being on the bus back to her dorm (and about speaking to her mother) minutes before her phone went dead.

I had to comment on this. I had a nephew pass away very tragically at 16 years old in a weight lifting accident. Because of the small town and nature of his passing, everyone in the county knew. I have always explained that period of grieving as you just did. Very surreal. Hard to understand how the world is still spinning, the radio host still talking - normal day to day actions going on, when our worlds were totally stood still.
It sounds silly, but that is the feeling I’ve had dealing with such tragic loss.

8 months later we were blessed with a new baby nephew (two different siblings of mine). 5 mos later we had to say goodbye to him. He was born with a defect not caught in womb, and wasn’t able to recover from it.

I was never a seriously religious person, but It was at this time period that I questioned God, and everything about a higher power.

I truly hope the family finds answers that will give them peace. I can’t ever imagine being in their spot.
((@Mistyjks))

Yes, this.

The silver lining is I've gained a kinship for people in grief. I have a new understanding that I have to say I'm grateful to have. I wish I didn't have to go through a painful loss to get to this place, of course! But I do feel like better person once I got through it. I hope that growth happens for everyone in grief....but, man, it's HARD.

The world's continual spinning is beautiful and painful at the same time.

jmo

A couple of years ago a 50yo man in my area who had lived with depression for a number of years changed his Facebook profile photo to a snap of the swimming pool at a club to which he belonged. Several days later he was discovered dead in that pool. There was never a followup news story after the initial (shocking) article. I assume it was ruled a suicide but I have heard some family members dispute that.

This is going to be very difficult for her family. Suicide can be an impulsive choice that you can't take back. Little or no warning and little time to intervene.

If she did in fact jump off that bridge, she may never be found, which will make this even more painful for them.

My heart breaks for Saniyaa’s family.

It is clearly extremely difficult for them to accept that Sanniya quite likely died of suicide - and I don’t think it is unusual for loved ones to struggle with this fact. The fact that the evidence in this case is about her behaviors prior to disappearance, vs more (gulp) “physical” evidence likely makes this even more difficult for her family. I hope for the sake of all involved that her body is recovered quickly - and that her family can then transition from “searching” to processing and grieving.

Saniyya Dennis Is Still Missing And Her Family’s Determined To Find Her

Authorities in Buffalo have already ruled the 19-year-old Bronx native had committed suicide by jumping into Niagra Falls, however her family says she’s still missing and are determined to find her.

Friends, family and community members have joined forces in order to find out what happened to Saniyya.

In an interview with AmNews, Myles Carter, a community leader working with Dennis’ family, said they will continue the search regardless and won’t stop until Dennis is found.

“There has been a continued effort to find Saniyya since the DA made his statement regarding her taking her own life,” Carter said. “There’s a daily search at the gorge at Artpark State Park in Lewiston where bodies would surface...”

Additionally, Carter said those helping with the search have been posting flyers throughout Western New York.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back