GUILTY NY - Shanta Myers, 36, Brandi Mells, 22, & 2 kids slain, Troy, 26 Dec 2017 *Arrest*

Mann is currently on parole, police said. According to New York Department of Corrections records, Mann was convicted of robbery in 2014 and sentenced to five years in prison. He was paroled in June 2017. His supervision by the DOC is set to expire in 2019.
“I never seen him before a day in my life, neither of them,” Shanta Myers’ nephew Khalif Coleman told The Daily Beast. “But some of my family members recognize him as Brandi’s friend. He supposedly always hung out with her.”
https://heavy.com/news/2017/12/justin-mann-james-white-troy-murder-suspects/

Too bad Mann was paroled early and didn't spend the five years locked up. Maybe these horrific murders wouldn't have happened.

What does an inmate have to do to qualify for early release? Good behavior?

Suspects past history makes me think could be robbery motive,

There are likely a number of qualifications, weighed by points in some jurisdictions. Good behavior would be among them. Underlying all is prison overcrowding and the release of some who have served partial sentences to make room for more recently convicted. :-/

~jmo~

Based on the dates of their prison records alone, it would appear that these two met while on the outs. Mann would have been a juvenile when White was released. Were they related, or did their relatives know one another? Just how long did they know each other anyway?

Based on Brandi's address history, it would seem that she met Mann sometime after his release in June of this year.

How the pair of convicts came to know each other and conspire to participate in such a heartless quadruple murder remains to be seen.

I'm just as curious as the next person to learn what possible motive exists for these horrific murders, even if there is one. No 'reason' nor 'explanation' suffices.

My hope is that prosecution is tidy and swift, and that once convicted, the accused receive the maximum sentences under the law and will be sent-off to serve their time without any of us ever having to hear about them again.

My heart is with the victims and their survivors.

~jmo~

Suspects past history makes me think could be robbery motive,

It is really hard to imagine that those women would have anything much worth stealing other than phones. Any spare cash would have gone on Christmas for the kids, you would think.

It is really hard to imagine that those women would have anything much worth stealing other than phones. Any spare cash would have gone on Christmas for the kids, you would think.

Yes, absolutely! Plus I read in one of many articles today how Brandi was doing all she could to find gifts for the 3 children, just how important it was to her to make their Christmas bright.

~jmo~

I got this one completely wrong. I figured the perp to be a female. Two grown men slaughtered a woman and her 2 little kids and a little lady? Wow! Some people do not deserve a break. They both should have served their full time and maybe this would not have happened.

I get so sick of criminals being let out early and then committing even more horrible crimes.

I got this one completely wrong. I figured the perp to be a female. Two grown men slaughtered a woman and her 2 little kids and a little lady? Wow! Some people do not deserve a break. They both should have served their full time and maybe this would not have happened.

I get so sick of criminals being let out early and then committing even more horrible crimes.

Maybe it would not have happened to these poor girls and the children, but it would have happened to someone else. How brave were they to tie a five year old's hands and feet?

A family member told The Daily Beast that Isaiah went to the apartment on December 23 to deliver Christmas presents for his siblings, but the door was locked.

https://heavy.com/news/2017/12/justin-mann-james-white-troy-murder-suspects/

So they savagely murder all four of them and then lock the door on the way out? :thinking:

I have to suspect drugs are involved. Maybe the 2 arrested were wasted out of their minds? I think my brain wants to blame drugs because I can't rationalize what they did, unless they themselves were wasted on drugs.

Why do you think they didn't have anything worth stealing other than their phones? Why do you think they didn't have spare cash?

It's always troubling to see how quickly everyone is to conclude that the arrestees did it before one iota of proof/evidence has been presented...

It's always troubling to see how quickly everyone is to conclude that the arrestees did it before one iota of proof/evidence has been presented...

In this case the head of LE stated without a doubt these are the guys. One knew one of the victims, they have video assuming showing them by the building, a knife was left at scene which more than likely have prints... the suspects are in the system and a match was probably made that way. This is just what we know. I’m sure there is a stock pile of other items that led them to the arrest as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put yourself in the shoes of the family and friends of the victims, would you sit back and say they are innocent until you see the evidence for yourself? Highly doubt it.

They will be proven guilty in court when they show the jury the evidence. We don't have to know/see the evidence. I'm pretty sure these aren't smart criminals and they left their fingerprints all over the place. Locked themselves up.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Why do you think they didn't have anything worth stealing other than their phones? Why do you think they didn't have spare cash?

I can't speak for the OP, but Brandi herself said "pockets are tight" on December 18th when she was trying to find Christmas presents for the kids on Facebook marketplace. This is from the Daily Beast article about the crime. She was actively attempting to sell possessions to raise extra cash. So I do think it's a good indicator there wasn't tons of extra cash lying around..but the people who did this might have thought the opposite.

In this case the head of LE stated without a doubt these are the guys. One knew one of the victims, they have video assuming showing them by the building, a knife was left at scene which more than likely have prints... the suspects are in the system and a match was probably made that way. This is just what we know. I’m sure there is a stock pile of other items that led them to the arrest as well.

Police always say the person(s) arrested are absolutely the perpetrator; as we know this is not true.

My comment is not related to this case as much as it is highlighting the fact that we're allegedly a sleuthing forum, yet with absolutely no evidence presented or arrest warrant made public, everyone here is so willing to blindly conclude that they got the right guys. It's that kind of mentality that is most troubling -- folks so willing to blindly conclude that an arestee is absolutely guilty without seeing a shred of evidence.

Police always say the person(s) arrested are absolutely the perpetrator; as we know this is not true.

My comment is not related to this case as much as it is highlighting the fact that we're allegedly a sleuthing forum, yet with absolutely no evidence presented or arrest warrant made public, everyone here is so willing to blindly conclude that they got the right guys. It's that kind of mentality that is most troubling -- folks so willing to blindly conclude that an arestee is absolutely guilty without seeing a shred of evidence.

I’m not venturing thoughts on other cases. I’m only speaking of this case and commenting with others on this thread. I hear you stating these guys and blindly conclude which I am reading as this case. If there are issues on other cases and threads perhaps discuss that there. I feel there is enough evidence put forth in this case to state they have the correct individuals. Evidence cannot be brought forth until an evidentiary hearing due to maintaining the integrity for prosecution. I believe in our justice system and it will prevail no matter what one states on a thread.

Because most young families spend their spare cash on Christmas gifts. I really don't think that four people are going to be murdered for a large screen TV or whatever spare cash that they have in their purse.

Because most young families spend their spare cash on Christmas gifts. I really don't think that four people are going to be murdered for a large screen TV or whatever spare cash that they have in their purse.

This. And while later articles suggested Shanta and her kids moved in willingly with Brandi, didn't an earlier article say they were evicted? Obviously this family didn't willingly pick an apartment too small for one of their children to live with them. Then we read both women we're working odd jobs, etc. Not exactly Prime robbery targets here. Honestly, I personally strongly doubt that was the motive either way. I mean two big guys against a woman with dwarfism, another who is overweight (so assuming she's not the most fit person), and their young kids? Doesn't make sense that they'd be killed, and in such a brutal way for a robbery.

Granted its hard to make sense of this at all and how anything at all could've warranted what happened tothis poor family.

I will say I'm very intrigued by the door being locked though. That's interesting. Or maybe not. Just sticks out to me.

This. And while later articles suggested Shanta and her kids moved in willingly with Brandi, didn't an earlier article say they were evicted? Obviously this family didn't willingly pick an apartment too small for one of their children to live with them. Then we read both women we're working odd jobs, etc. Not exactly Prime robbery targets here. Honestly, I personally strongly doubt that was the motive either way. I mean two big guys against a woman with dwarfism, another who is overweight (so assuming she's not the most fit person), and their young kids? Doesn't make sense that they'd be killed, and in such a brutal way for a robbery.

Granted its hard to make sense of this at all and how anything at all could've warranted what happened tothis poor family.

I will say I'm very intrigued by the door being locked though. That's interesting. Or maybe not. Just sticks out to me.

BBM

Maybe the door locked automatically behind them? I lived in a place like that...and locked myself out a few times.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back