GUILTY NY - Shanta Myers, 36, Brandi Mells, 22, & 2 kids slain, Troy, 26 Dec 2017 *Arrest*

Can someone explain to me why the suspects are each charged with only one count of first degree murder but 4 for second degree? Seems this was premeditated...which as far as I know would constitute 4 counts of murder in the first. Unless it’s redundant because one count is all you need for life in prison? Just trying to understand. Also, per the article, I found it interesting that one of the victims was covered with a sheet, and I have to wonder why. Generally that CAN indicate remorse...I wonder if it was BM, as she was the one that the suspect knew. Moo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New York State has special requirements for a murder to be classified as a first-degree murder. WSers posted links upthread, or google NY first-degree murder.

jmo

Did you read the linked Daily Beast story above & think Brandy was trying to scam people?

Of course not. I never once said nor suspected her of that nor anything else illegal like some people on here that immediately thought it just HAD to be drug related. I'm offended that you are accusing me of victim-blaming.

I’m not negating your thoughts. A bag of weed... even a very LARGE bag would not on the streets be worth killing 4 people in that manner. Definitely not killing two small children. Doesn’t add up.

I've got a gut feeling this has to do with drugs/drug money. I hope I'm wrong.
My heart breaks for all affected by this horrific crime but more so for the surviving son. This case is gut-wrenching.
Though I agree with The Karambus, sometimes motives can be mixed.

For example, the primary motive maybe drugs, but an aggravating motive maybe that the victim(s) had defied the perpetrator(s) in the course of an ongoing drug dispute. This then could supply a reason for the more extreme violence, especially if the defiance was public and thus potentially humiliated the perpetrator in front of others.

Then factor in that if, in the perpetrator's mind, the possible humiliation was done by somebody of lower status in the local drug scene, there might be overkill violence as the perpetrator must not only save face, but unquestionably re-establish his own status.

Though I agree with The Karambus, sometimes motives can be mixed, For example, the primary motive maybe drugs, but an aggravating motive maybe that the victim(s) had defied the perpetrator(s) in the course of an ongoing drug dispute.

This then could supply a reason for the more extreme violence, especially if the defiance was public and thus potentially humiliated the perpetrator in front of others. Then factor in that if, in the perpetrator's mind, the possible humiliation was done by somebody of lower status in the local drug scene, there might be overkill violence as the perpetrator must not only save face, but unquestionably re-establish his own status.

But the kids? Would killing children elevate status... or just make the perps look cowardly and sloppy?

The two adults were connected to their families, seemed happy and well liked, enjoyed the children. Brandi has been especially noted for her friendliness. They were having money issues and I really can't see them as targets for burglary.

Just can't fathom any motive for such a cruel way to kill and to include the children.

I do have a feeling all the details will come out. Investigators will piece it together, and it's possible one perp will turn on the other. Just have to wait for it....

jmo

This is just a thought. What if Brandi knows that the suspect sells drugs. She approaches him about selling some drugs to get Christmas presents for the kids. He fronts her the drugs but for some reason she doesn't pay back the money. So this was his revenge.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If convicted of first-degree murder, the pair would face life in prison without the possibility of parole. The top count is based on the multiple deaths in the case, Rensselaer County District Attorney Joel Abelove said. He said he met with the families afterward.

Source: Motive still a mystery in Troy murders

I am tending toward the belief that this was a hate crime, because Brandi had relatively recently entered a same sex relationship.

I've seen conflicting things as far as how long they'd been in the relationship or whether or not they were engaged but no, I don't think it was that recent at all and eh... if it were I'd have placed my bets on the older woman being the target (combo of her age and that she clearly had been in a relationship with at least one guy given that she has kids). But no, I didn't really get that vibe at all. I will say the media definitely capitalized on their sexuality and I actually first heard about the crime when my local LGBT center's FB page posted a news article.

But no, I don't get that feel nor do I think their relationship was all that new actually. And I will also add one of the family members quoted in some of the articles and video is very openly lesbian on her social media also and I got the feeling both women were pretty well known within that LGBT community or group of lesbian/bi women. That said, certainly many parts of the African American community is not very open or welcoming though guys seem to have it markedly worse than women, in all I've seen, experienced, and been told. Obviously that's true of all cultures and backgrounds really but I have some black LGBT friends who have spoken about how much harder it has been for them so that has been on my mind withthis case. But I've actually found it interesting how accepting the family seems to have been (especially with that age gap taken into account as well!). Anyway just some thoughts and opinions of my own on these thoughts.

Hate crime was my first thought but the more I've read and seen, I don't really think so. But I also am not feeling it was a robbery. Maybe. But I suspect there's something more here. Just a feeling I have. It is notable that so far there are no robbery related charges. Family seems close enoughthey would've been able to tell if things were missing especially with Brandi's mom being in the same building (so assuming she's been inside their apartment a bunch).

Also want to add while the younger perp who knew Brandi was on parole for robbery, worth pointing out the older guy who made that horrific comment in court had served time for manslaughter. I feel like maybe some are jumping to robbery because of the one guy's history but just wanted to point this out. Maybe it was a robbery gone wrong. But I'm just not getting that feeling. Curious who the knives belonged to and what they were tied up with. Not sure if that would change anything on whether it was a robbery or something else but it's one thing if they arrived with these supplies and another if they used a knife from the home (suggesting maybe they weren't planning in advance to kill?)

Oh I hope not... my cousin was murdered in 2000 and it was a hate crime. Most of us didn’t know he was gay until after the incident took place and it came out in the motive. The man alleged my cousin came onto him, fully naked, so he stabbed him to death because he hates “f@g$”
The only silver lining was that he made those statements throughout the process and that lead to a guilty plea and additional time for the hate crime.

Oh, how heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a friend who had a traumatic brain injury after being violently beaten for being gay. He was walking to his car one night and was ambushed. Horrible.

I wonder if either woman had been sexually assaulted.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

This is just a thought. What if Brandi knows that the suspect sells drugs. She approaches him about selling some drugs to get Christmas presents for the kids. He fronts her the drugs but for some reason she doesn't pay back the money. So this was his revenge.

sillybilly's 12/29 post:

This post is landing at random.

Websleuths is victim friendly. Victim bashing is not allowed.

If you have an MSM link that supports a theory that drugs were involved, link it up !! Otherwise, don't go there.

Thanks.

sillybilly's 12/29 post:

This post is landing at random.

Websleuths is victim friendly. Victim bashing is not allowed.

If you have an MSM link that supports a theory that drugs were involved, link it up !! Otherwise, don't go there.

Thanks.
Ummmmm aren't we just throwing out theories?

Ok I'm not able to delete, so a mod is welcome to.

Right on Brandi’s Facebook she posts pictures of marijuana both in a bag and smoking it... but we can’t talk about it being part of the motive??? I guess I’m confused.

Right on Brandi’s Facebook she posts pictures of marijuana both in a bag and smoking it... but we can’t talk about it being part of the motive??? I guess I’m confused.

I don’t know how to link her Facebook post to this page.

That would be like saying she had a glass of wine in her hand. Could that be part of the motive? It’s weed. Not bags of cocaine.
I can’t begin to figure out a motive ... there were two small children murdered. Drug deals gone bad don’t end that way. The only thing I can think is she took something he loved... therefore he took everything she loved then killed her. JMO

This is very interesting theory. I can’t imagine what he could have loved that she would/ could have taken.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back