NY State Legalizes Gay Marriage !!!

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Emma Peel, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Emma Peel

Emma Peel Keep your bowler hat on in times of trouble, & bew

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/la-naw-0625-ny-gay-marriage-20110625,0,1496953.story

:great::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::great:

:fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:

And... the annual Gay Pride Parade in NYC is tomorrow.

Here at home, we listened for hours to the Legislative proceedings on this bill. One by one by one. Each spoke for 2 minutes. My daughter, along with her entire college e-mailed her Poughkeepsie Republican hold-out congressman today. He was the tie-breaking holdout & tonight he changed his vote to pass the bill. And as it turns out, so did a few others...

At this moment, I am just SO proud to say I AM A NEW YORKER.

:blowkiss:

2. Loading...

3. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

Rachel Maddow covered the final votes on her show tonight. Its fantastic news!!!

4. blue_the_puppy

blue_the_puppy Member

:woohoo: :great: :woohoo: :great:

that is great news!

I'm lovin Senator McDonald (and his constituents) right now! What a great thing to say.

i hope to see more of these threads with each state in the title.

5. MrsG728

MrsG728 New Member

:great: I am so proud to say that I am a New Yorker! :great:
    Such wonderful news for the families and loved ones who have been waiting for this a long time! It must be such a wonderful feeling :)
    :rocker:

6. Trino

Trino Active Member

And, I'm so embarrassed to be a Minnesotan. Our conservative Republican legislature knew they would never get a marriage amendment as between a man and a woman by Democrat Governor Mark Dayton, so they opted to have it put on the ballot for November. Can you believe this?

And, further, Minnesota's govenment may shut down on Jul 1 because the legislature thought up items like this instead of working on a state budget.

7. davehead21

davehead21 Active Member

This is great news to wake up to. I bet the parade today will be just wild with excitement!!

8. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

A very good day that shows people can evolve and that those who claim government is too intrusive can prove they really believe that.

9. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/25/new.york.gay.marriage/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

New York governor signs same-sex marriage bill into law
    By the CNN Wire Staff
    June 25, 2011 4:52 a.m. EDT

Albany, New York (CNN) -- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the state's marriage equality bill hours after it passed the Republican-controlled Senate on Friday night, making it the sixth state in the nation to legalize same-sex marriage.

Cuomo signed the bill into law after the legislature cleared the way to legalize same-sex marriage with a 33-to-29 vote, the first time a state Senate with a Republican majority has approved such a bill.

The new law, which will allow same-sex couples in New York to marry within 30 days, drew a sharp rebuke from opponents, who spent millions to try to defeat the measure....

10. myzzy

myzzy Just me!

Woot, everyone deserves the same rights. Its another step in the right direction.

11. Nova

Nova Active Member

Congratulations to all New Yorkers, gay and straight!

Here in California--while we wait for the courts to rule on Prop 8--those of us who married during the six month window when gay marriage was legal here are celebrating our third anniversaries. And I swear I've yet to see how anyone is harmed when equal rights are granted to everyone.

12. Emma Peel

13. Emma Peel

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/nyregion/the-road-to-gay-marriage-in-new-york.html

How NY's Governor Andrew Cuomo led the charge to pull this off.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/25/earlyshow/saturday/main20074349.shtml#ixzz1QJMZaCra

14. blue_the_puppy

blue_the_puppy Member

Those quotes from Sen. Saland and Sen. Grisanti just warm my heart, as silly as it sounds. :eek: this is a human rights, not a political, issue.

15. MLE

MLE New Member

Someday, it'll be legal down here in the South. I doubt it will be soon, since a lot of the religionists still preach to me about the sins of my interracial dating. lol.

16. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

I watched this last night on the news. Made me smile.

Wonderful news :)

17. Emma Peel

http://brooklyn.ny1.com/content/new...s-react-to-passage-of-same-sex-marriage-bill/

State Pride, Gay Pride. Just wanted to post the NY Gov's quote.

......and a little further into the article .... this quote really got to me ...
    New York is now the sixth and largest state to allow same-sex marriage.

18. Knot4u2no

Knot4u2no Verified Expert

Let’s hope marriages are gay, happy occasions. I expect there will be a lot of unintended consequences with “any two [adult humans] make a marriage,” particularly when children are “involved,” estate settlements get nasty, divorce settlements expand, and other matters of “marriage” expand beyond simple contract law, civil courts and religions. It boggles the mind, at least my little kitty brain is boggled by the prospects, but it is the progressive way. The “statements of understanding” and prenuptial agreements will likely have a lot of new twists and turns ... and the lawyers will certainly applaud, applaud and applaud, at each discontent and controversy. At least a lot of pretenders will be held to task.

Russell

19. Trino

Trino Active Member

Got a question. Is a gay marriage that takes place in NY recognized in other states? What a quagmire if it isn't.

Is a gay marriage recognized for federal income taxes?

Guess I've answered my own first question. Gay marriage, although not legal in these states, is still recognized: Rhode Island and Maryland. Again, what a quagmire.

20. Chiquita71

Chiquita71 New Member

:rocker::loveyou: :cheer::cheer:

:woot: :party:

:fireworks2:

:toastred: :toast:

:cloud9:

Chalk up a win for humanity~ :thumb:

21. Chiquita71

Chiquita71 New Member