SOLVED NY - Tala Farea, 16, Rotana Farea, 22, Hudson River, 24 Oct 2018- COD released: suicide/drowning

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Kid Dropsy, Oct 24, 2018.

1. TTF14

TTF14 Spaceship Headlight Pattern Expert

Yeah, I'm not putting any stock in that particular detail at all.

2. Shlock Homes

Shlock Homes Well-Known Member

3. Alethea

Alethea Verified Attorney

When I read cross formation I pictured their arms taped together too (facing each other with arms outstretched). That is obviously an important detail if true because they would not be able to do that themselves.

I don't know how their arms would stay outstretched instead of down by their sides after falling and floating in the river so I didn't really put much credence into that report.

HerNameIsRio, HayLouise, Ari_ and 4 others like this.
  4. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

Maybe they meant the girls, or at least the girl whose back was facing up, had her arms outstretched in the “dead’s man float” type of position? Idk but I’m not putting much stock into it either, especially considering the source.

5. madamx

madamx Well-Known Member

I understand what your saying , but I was just stating an observation that I along with many of my friends in the industry have noticed. I have been involved in the publishing industry since 1986.
    My friends and I have a running joke. Everybody with a blog is an Editor and everybody with a phone is a Photographer or so they think they are.

6. madamx

madamx Well-Known Member

Yes good question bear10. Now the link from Daily News says BOTH girls were missing since aug 24. Who knows.
    --------------------------------
    Tala Farea, 16, and her older sister Rotana Farea, 22, had been reported missing by Fairfax, Va., police, said reports.
    The sisters went missing from their home in Fairfax on Aug. 24, said a police source.

bluenoser and inmyhumbleopinion like this.
  7. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

I had taken the cross formation to mean that their bodies had rotated to be in a cross formation rather than they died in a cross formation. The water churning action is most likely to misalign objects that are attached with tape rapped around the middle.

The Post is the only outlet to state this detail so far, though. Still hoping we will find out more.

8paws, TatianaBarbie, Chelly and 3 others like this.
  8. Le Singe

Le Singe Well-Known Member

I really don't get the suicide vibe from this. It's hard for me to picture how you would even get yourself out there and then over the rail taped together like this idk.

borndem, Ari_, turanna25 and 2 others like this.
  9. Dr. Benway

Dr. Benway Former Member

Why is the first word of the title "unsolved"? Since when do suicides need to be solved?

x_files likes this.
  10. inmyhumbleopinion

inmyhumbleopinion #NeverGivingUp

I do not believe we know what Tala and Rotana’s religious beliefs were or if they had any.

If they were Muslim (“Islam is the state religion of Saudi Arabia and its law requires all citizens to be Muslims. Public worship by adherents of religions other than Islam is forbidden,”)
    Religion in Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia
    however, it is possible, IMO, that maybe they were trying to make their suicides look like homicides.

As Islam forbids suicide, perhaps they were afraid that their family would be ostracized or shamed by their community if suicide was so obvious:

“Like other Abrahamic religions, Islam views suicide strictly as sinful and detrimental to ones spiritual journey. However, human beings are said to be liable to committing mistakes, thus, God forgives the sins and wipes them out if the individual is truly sincere in repentance, true to the causes and determined in intention.”
    Religious Views on Suicide

I am of the opinion that this was indeed a case of double suicide. And if so, I feel absolutely terrible that both Tala and Rotana felt this was their only option. Prayers to them and their loved ones.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    8paws, borndem, libraryg and 8 others like this.
  11. bears10

This is why I am having a hard time believing they jumped from the GWB. Because I think it’d be just as conspicuous and close to as difficult for someone to throw them over as it would be for them to do it themselves.

borndem and turanna25 like this.
  12. bears10

Probably bc the cause of death is pending and the investigation is ongoing. The family does not believe this was a suicide. I think we’d all hope that if this happened to our loved ones, LE would investigate rather than immediately writing it off as a suicide. Imo unless there is a note, surveillance, and/or credible testimony from those who knew the girls, it’s wise of LE to continue to investigate.

madamx, Elainera, turanna25 and 3 others like this.
  13. 2Hope4

2Hope4 Well-Known Member

Well, if they were found down river from the bridge, unless there's video of them ON that bridge, I think they were put in the water somewhere else. And I too heard about the cross formation, but I think it was in a video. Saudi Arabia doesn't have the same customs we do. I don't know how long the family has been in the USA. I think someone else was involved in their deaths though. Would them leaving to live in another state be 'crime' enough for family to punish/kill them? I don't know. Sad situation.

14. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

2 Sisters Were Found Dead in the River, Duct-Taped Together. Police Have Few Answers.

15. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

NYPD: Checking claim twins found dead in Hudson were ordered home by Saudis | Newsday

8paws, rainynights, borndem and 16 others like this.
  16. alekto

alekto Active Member

Oh oh....family matters are making me wonder. But why are they being called "twins?"

17. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

Wow, this is a very sad and intriguing story so far. I wonder if it is true that they were ordered back after asking for asylum if they were afraid that they would end up like Khashoggi. So terribly sad to think that a person seeking asylum feels that they might be forced to go back to their country to experience torture.

libraryg, Alcina, Al Ka and 10 others like this.
  18. alekto

alekto Active Member

Could there have been an arranged marriage or two that they were dreading? The thought of life in Saudi Arabia for two young girls may have been too much.

19. Alethea

NYPD: Checking if Saudis ordered twins home

"An NYPD spokesman on Monday discounted reports that the women may have jumped from the George Washington Bridge because surveillance cameras found no evidence of that. A fall into the Hudson from the bridge would also have caused trauma to the bodies, as well as shredded the duct tape binding the sisters together, said police. Investigators were looking for possible points of entry for the bodies on either side of the river, said the NYPD."

8paws, Whiskers16, borndem and 19 others like this.
  20. Alethea

I am not thrilled about relying on a source that mistakenly calls the sisters "twins" but I do think NYPD and the ME would pretty quickly know if they jumped from the GWB. Unfortunately people jump from all 6 Manhattan bridges so they would know what entry impact injuries should look like.

borndem, HayLouise, libraryg and 14 others like this.