SOLVED NY - Tala Farea, 16, Rotana Farea, 22, Hudson River, 24 Oct 2018- COD released: suicide/drowning

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Kid Dropsy, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

That is a possibility. It does imply that more than one person is responsible as it would be very difficult, I assume, to carry two dead bodies.

I'm still thinking they were taped onsite while alive. jmo.

AzPistonsGirl and bears10 like this.

2. Inthedetails

delete duplicate

3. LaborDayRN

LaborDayRN In a world where you can be anything, be kind

I couldn't agree more.

Oceans1111, K_Z and TTF14 like this.
  4. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

‘I don’t know where my daughters are’: Odd encounter deepens mystery surrounding disappearance and deaths of Saudi sisters - The Washington Post

Didn’t she also say she was always in contact with them, right up to the week before their bodies were discovered??

I will take it with a grain of salt because the neighbor doesn’t seem to know them all that well, but it would be interesting if the dad does work for the govt in SA.

Elainera, K_Z, otto and 1 other person like this.
  5. alekto

alekto Active Member

Maybe they were facing each other to hold each other while they went into the water, to comfort each other in their death?

Elainera, Al Ka and inmyhumbleopinion like this.
  6. Inthedetails

Or, because it was easier to push them into the water with one push instead of two?

It seems like every detail can fit either suicide or murder.

Jmo

inmyhumbleopinion and alekto like this.
  7. bears10

Police tracking activity of Saudi sisters in NYC before they were found dead in river

Then later in the article it says it’s unclear when the girls arrived in NY. Smh. I’ve never been so frustrated with reporting of a case in my life.

8. alekto

alekto Active Member

Taping their shoes or sandals to their feet makes me think they did not want their shoes to be found on the shoreline. I don't think they jumped from the bridge.

HayLouise and musicaljoke like this.
  9. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

It would be a lot easier to tape two people together if they were not resisting. The sisters believed that their lives were in danger, so I think that they would be cautious about anything that seemed odd.

dotr likes this.
  10. Inthedetails

Why did they believe their lives were in danger? Did I miss an article about that?

Clue me in!

Jmo

madamx likes this.
  11. 3llecia

3llecia NDAs & Secrets

Do we have official or family statements saying they were good swimmers?

From my experience as a surf life saver, there's a lot of danger when attempting to rescue someone panicked and struggling to stay afloat.

The instinctive drowning response :
    In emergency situations in which lifeguards or other trained personnel are not present, it is advisable to wait for the victim to stop moving or sink before approaching, rescuing, or resuscitating. While the instinctive reaction to drowning is taking place, the victim will latch onto any nearby solid objects in attempts to get air, which can result in the drowning of a would-be rescuer as well as (or instead of) the original victim.

So with that knowledge, imagine now two girls strapped together with only arms to keep them afloat. If they were indeed conscious, one or both could panic and start using the other to try and leverage her mouth to the surface, dragging the other down and potentially drowning her first.

12. OneEye

OneEye Former Member

My sense is that death by drowning is common but being wrapped in duct tape and then drowned is not so common. I was reading an article today on Al Jazerra that said that in KSA deaths of female children and adults are not consistently reported. To me this would mean that any deaths wouldn't be investigated by LE or even the religious police. Sobering thought about this about this issue from the standpoint of a family member or friend of a victim. One day a loved one is there and alive and then they are simply gone.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    libraryg, x_files, Elainera and 4 others like this.
  13. OneEye

OneEye Former Member

Do you know if he would have had to get approval from the KSA govt to travel, req'd a US visa or could he have just driven to the airport with no restrictions to come to the US?

inmyhumbleopinion likes this.
  14. OneEye

OneEye Former Member

It has been ruled out by NYPD in the last mini press conference. Bodies hadn't been in the water long and other than some impact from the rocks where they were found the bodies were in good shape.

15. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

16. Inthedetails

I see. It seems logical to assume they feared they were in danger because they opted to live in a shelter rather than return home. I agree that seems like a logical assumption, but it is an assumption not a fact. (Maybe they just didn't want to live with their family anymore, but were not in fear of their lives either.)

But they certainly were serious about not wanting to return home. Most people would not chose to live in a shelter if it could be avoided.

jmo

x_files and Chelly like this.
  17. Shlock Homes

Shlock Homes Well-Known Member

From the same article: "A photo from the scene shows silvery duct tape tangled up with the girls legs and wrapped around their shoes."

Has anyone seen this photo? I understand not posting it or linking it here, I'm just wondering if it was a photo floating around the internet, or would Washington Post had exclusive access to see it? At least we have an idea of how the duct tape was on them.

Apparently they were afraid of water

Family of Saudi sisters found dead in New York denies suicide reports
    "ABC News and other news outlets reported that the working theory of investigators is that the sisters wanted to take their own lives and so taped themselves together and jumped into the water. The family denies this suggestion, saying that the girls were happy, had no problems at home and were afraid of water."

18. bears10

So we know they got to NYC on sept 1 and its not believed that they ever left once they got there. Where did they stay for almost two months? Who were they with?

Elainera and madamx like this.
  19. Shlock Homes

Shlock Homes Well-Known Member

Now that they released what look like passport or government issued document photos of the two sisters, does anyone find it strange the sketches looked nothing like them? And how could they have been identified by their mother (I believe they've said she did) if the sketches looked so different?

Elainera and madamx like this.
  20. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

Family of Saudi sisters found dead in New York denies suicide reports
    "ABC News and other news outlets reported that the working theory of investigators is that the sisters wanted to take their own lives and so taped themselves together and jumped into the water. The family denies this suggestion, saying that the girls were happy, had no problems at home and were afraid of water."

Wait a minute, hold up.....if they didn't have a problem at home, why did they choose to live in a shelter, as opposed to at home?

And didn't Mom say she hadn't spoken to them in months? Or am I imaging that?