SOLVED NY - Tala Farea, 16, Rotana Farea, 22, Hudson River, 24 Oct 2018- COD released: suicide/drowning

I also think it's very strange that not a single U.S. friend, teacher, or acquaintance of the sisters has come forward at all, even to just say "She was my friend, and I miss her" or "She was such a kind person". No one has even come out publicly to support the mother. "She's my neighbor, and always smiled at me-- I'm so sad for what this family is going through", etc.

No. One. At. All.

And we still know nothing. at. all. about the father, his name, position, work, etc. He's a ghost.

Shaking my head. Sad for the girls. Wish their lives could have been saved.
Good comments about friends or neighbors coming out to say something about them -- I've wondered the same. They were probably shy and maybe a bit subdued by NYC, but they certainly had some fun days (I hope) shopping, dining and living in luxury before their deaths. I guess while they were in Virginia with their family, I could see them not making any real or close friends. And I guess they were not in any place for long -- until the shelter -- in NYC. But what about the people in the shelter? Have any of them been interviewed by LE?

If they had planned to remain in the US for some time, would they have maxed-out their CC's?? Maybe this was their last hoorah before their planned suicide. It's possible. The maxed-out CC's give me pause about any future plans they had about staying in the US.
Well, certainly this post makes no sense. :confused: This is a tuffie.

It is very interesting that the father has never, ever been pictured, nor even named in any articles.
Earlier in the discussions someone gave clues to the father's possible FB account. The name was the same as quoted in this article. From what I could tell, that FB individual worked in the Saudi military or aviation, they wore a uniform in their picture.
Saudi sisters duct taped in ‘macabre cross’ on Hudson River bank
Edit: I just looked at the profile again, its still there.

I'll remember them like this, not as the bad drawing, or the passport/ ID pictures:

Saudi sisters found dead in New York ‘were not killed,’ US police source says

d2df9145-f239-47fe-9a90-cc4a989fd1ae_16x9_320x180.jpg

imgres

I think the drawings, the passport photos and the selfie photos are of three different sets of people. All three images seem to portray individuals with differing ethnicities. The passport photos look more pakistani/south asian. I thought the sketches were of two hispanic or black individuals. The selfie photo is inconclusive, those two might not even be sisters, and they look closer in age. But that's just my observation.
And who identified the bodies? We haven't been given any info if it had been via fingerprints. One outlet I recall mentioned the mother after seeing the sketches, but like I said, those drawings look nothing like the ladies in the passport photos.

JMO
What a sad story.

Im kind of leaning towards foul play because of this article at bottom which has allegations of Torture. That is pretty extreme if true. I could see foul play if they were on the run and someone caught up to them and found out where they were.

I suspect when they maxed out the credit card that maybe they made a phone call home which could be how someone found out where they were staying.

It could have been suicide too but I would need much more evidence before I lean that way.

"According to Shea, authorities placed the sisters in a “shelter-like” facility in Virginia in December 2017 after allegations of abuse and torture at the hands of their family were reported. The allegations were made against their brother, mother and father."

Interesting. The mosque in the picture of the alarabiya article is the most famous mosque in Medina-- the Al-Masjid an-Nabawi (prophet's mosque).

Al-Masjid an-Nabawi - Wikipedia

And right across from it is the one of the largest, and most famous/ significant islamic cemeteries in KSA, Al-Baqi.

Al-Baqi' - Wikipedia

So, if the picture in the article is indeed from the funerals of Tala and Rotana, it was a huge turnout for 2 young girls who were living outside KSA for 3 years. And from all pictures and articles, were not exactly living a pious, quiet culturally compliant lifestyle.

It is very interesting that the father has never, ever been pictured, nor even named in any articles.

Presuming that the sisters did indeed commit suicide, what is the view of scholars of islam on suicide and funerals? (And what is being shown in the picture is not the funeral prayer-- just the conveyance of the bodies presumably to the cemetery/ burial site by funeral attendees. No women in the picture, of course-- though women may attend the burial, just not typically attend the funeral prayer.)

Islamic funeral - Wikipedia

Ruling on suicide and on offering the funeral prayer and praying for one who has committed suicide - Islam Question & Answer

It seems this story is pretty much over. Whether they did indeed commit a double suicide to avoid returning to KSA, or met their end at another's hand, I find I'm rather sad for them that their bodies were returned to the place they said they didn't want to be. Burial for eternity, in such a significantly high profile city and cemetery-- the second holiest place in islam. Medina is not just "a" city-- it is hugely significant in islam-- and KSA's second name is "The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques".

I'm not sure what to think about that, other than it makes me sad. I don't think it's likely that they would have wanted to be buried in medina, but who knows. It seems quite a high profile burial for 2 young women who were "nobodies". I don't believe much in conspiracy theories, but there are so many extremely odd parts of this story, that it's hard not to scratch your head and ask "why" this is unfolding as it is.

I think this has run its course, and we won't hear much more about them, or the U.S. investigation. Maybe one more set of articles when the toxicology comes back-- and I think it will be negative for everything, and will be officially closed out as a double suicide. Someone claimed the bodies, and paid for the bodies to be transported back to KSA. And publicized and paid for the rather high profile burial (there was a reporter present)-- presuming that was indeed a picture of their burial procession. We can each make of that what we will.

Of note, the "real" picture released in the article shows 2 exceptionally beautiful young women, dressed quite western/ american, and enjoying a "selfie" with a cell phone. How utterly mundane for most American teens/ young adults-- and yet, so dangerous for them. So sad.

I'll remember them like this, not as the bad drawing, or the passport/ ID pictures:

d2df9145-f239-47fe-9a90-cc4a989fd1ae_16x9_320x180.jpg

imgres
Would there be a circumstance where the religious clerics would deny a burial to the sisters based on the allegations of suicide? It just seems improbable that not one of the press would have realized that the bodies had been claimed in NYC, sent via air to KSA and then what looks to be a massive funeral procession organized in a city that based on what we know to date has zero connection to the sisters and their family? Those bodies being carried by that crowd could be anyone. Baffling.

It still doesn't explain how their bodies were able to reach the final resting spot. There's long pier that would have been an obstruction just north of where their bodies were found. And if they drowned, then they would have sank, they would not have floated like logs down river immediately after drowning. And if they think they entered the water near that park, they should find evidence of their activity, like the duct tape roll, scissors, perhaps their purses.
The first photo below is that of the long pier (I believe) you are talking about, and the second is a closer shot of it. I do think that maybe the bodies floated between the pillars, IMO.

Also, I am going to attach a SS showing the location where Rotana and Tala are believed to have been seen the morning of the day they were found, and the location where their bodies were found, just for reference.

As to whether or not the bodies would float, here are a couple of cases in which, apparently, the body did not sink immediately:

April 12, 2017 (the day the body was found):
“Officers with the New York Police Department’s Harbor Unit responded about 1:45 p.m. to a report of a person floating by the shore near West 132nd Street in Upper Manhattan. Judge Abdus-Salaam, 65, was taken to a pier on the Hudson River and was pronounced dead by paramedics shortly after 2 p.m.

The police were investigating how she ended up in the river, and it was not clear how long Judge Abdus-Salaam, who lived nearby in Harlem, had been missing. There were no signs of trauma on her body, the police said. She was fully clothed.

A law enforcement official said investigators had found no signs of criminality. Her husband identified her body.“
Sheila Abdus-Salaam, Judge on New York’s Top Court, Is Found Dead in Hudson River

April 13, 2017:
“When Judge Abdus-Salaam — the first black woman to serve on New York State’s highest court — failed to appear at work on Wednesday, her assistant grew concerned and contacted her husband, who reported her missing, the law enforcement officials said. Then that afternoon, there was a terrible discovery: The judge’s body floating, fully clothed and with no apparent signs of trauma, in the Hudson River.

[SBM]

In the hours after her body was found, the police said they were treating her death as a suicide. The judge, 65, had recently told friends and a doctor that she was suffering from stress.

[SBM]

But by Thursday afternoon, investigators had reached no clear conclusion, according to the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation was continuing. The medical examiner’s office said that ‘the cause and manner of death were pending further studies’; police detectives were looking for surveillance video along her possible path to see if it revealed her movements, and whether or not it supported the theory that she had walked into the river.”
Mystery and Melancholy Surround Death of Judge Found in the Hudson

April 21, 2017:
“More than a week after the body of Judge Sheila Abdus-Salaam was found floating in the Hudson River, the police in New York City were still piecing together her last moments, trying to determine how her life came to an end.

The night before her body was discovered, video cameras recorded Judge Abdus-Salaam, a widely respected New York State Court of Appeals jurist, walking around for hours in Riverbank State Park in Upper Manhattan, according to several people briefed on the investigation into her death.

Surveillance footage shows the judge leaving her home in Harlem on the evening of April 11, wearing the same clothes that she wore when she was found the next day, according to the people, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a continuing investigation. Judge Abdus-Salaam then made her way to the park; the cameras last captured her standing near the water’s edge.

The medical examiner’s office has not made a determination on what caused the death of Judge Abdus-Salaam, who was the first black woman to serve on the Court of Appeals, the state’s highest court. Her body was found on the afternoon of April 12 in shallow water along the shore of the Hudson River near West 132nd Street.

This week, a police spokesman said that the judge’s death was being deemed as ‘suspicious,’ a characterization that applies to cases in which the circumstances have not been clearly established.

But after nine days of investigation, detectives and police officials were still leaning toward the conclusion that Judge Abdus-Salaam, 65, took her own life, although some questions remained unanswered, three people briefed on the inquiry said on Friday. Perhaps foremost among them is why the judge might have committed suicide.

An autopsy uncovered bruises on the judge’s neck, and found water in her lungs, suggesting that she was alive when she went into the river, a police official said. One possibility, the official said, was that she had been choked sometime — even days earlier — before going into the river.

Investigators indicated it was possible the marks could stem from bruising incurred during her body’s retrieval.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...peals-court-judge-death-hudson-river.amp.html

July 26, 2017:
“Putting to rest a mystery that initially puzzled investigators, the New York City medical examiner’s office ruled on Wednesday that the death of Sheila Abdus-Salaam, the first black woman to serve on New York State’s highest court, was a suicide.

In a statement, the medical examiner’s office said the cause of the judge’s death was drowning.

On April 12, the body of Judge Abdus-Salaam, 65, was discoveredfully clothed and with no apparent signs of trauma — floating in shallow water along the shore of the Hudson River near West 132nd Street in Harlem, not far from her home.

[SBM]

Although a police official said at the time that her death had been deemed ‘suspicious,’ detectives eventually leaned toward the conclusion that she had killed herself, especially after images from surveillance cameras emerged showing that on the night before her body was found, Judge Abdus-Salaam had been walking around for hours in Riverbank State Park in Upper Manhattan.

Police officials said an autopsy of the judge’s body uncovered bruises on her neck and found water in her lungs, suggesting that she had been alive when she went into the river. Investigators indicated that it was possible that the bruises were made during the retrieval of the body.“
Death of Pioneering New York Judge Is Ruled a Suicide (all BBM)

The last attached photo shows the location where Judge Abdus-Salaam was captured on camera standing by the water the night before her body was found, and the approximate location where her body was found.

Since this is already way too long, I will post the other story separately.
BABB1984-6EA9-4238-95AE-50CB90C9300F.jpeg 295824BD-9A7B-4C50-B8A6-DBF7BB1C7F5C.jpeg 1A620D7A-4995-488D-BFF2-EEC6CCC226D9.jpeg A9FA8941-00AE-4F4E-B653-F50CF6B337B4.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is the second one (and it’s much shorter, thankfully):

September 26, 2010:
“Police say (Joe) Cerniglia's body was found floating in the Hudson River Friday.
A Wayne chef and restaurateur was found dead in the Hudson River, according to a report by NorthJersey.com.

Police say the cause of death for Joseph Cerniglia, who is known as the chef-owner of Campania, a Fair Lawn restaurant, is still under investigation, the report said.“
Fair Lawn restaurant owner, chef found dead in Hudson River

September 27, 2010:
“Joe Cerniglia, the Fair Lawn restaurateur whose body was found in the Hudson River on Friday, committed suicide, the New York Medical Examiner's office reports.

Though a 911 caller reported seeing a person jump from the George Washington Bridge about an hour before Cerniglia's body was spotted in the water, a New York Police Department spokesman says the investigating is ongoing: ‘It could be a coincidence. It might not be. I don't know if it will ever be determined.’

Cerniglia drowned, but there were blunt impact injuries to his body, according to the Medical Examiner's Office, which would be consistent with a fall from a bridge.”
Campania chef Joe Cerniglia's death ruled a suicide

September 27, 2010:
A body found floating in the Hudson River near W. 145th St. has been identified as that of a North Jersey chef and restaurateur once featured on Gordon Ramsay's ‘Kitchen Nightmares’ reality-TV series, police said Sunday night.

Joseph Cerniglia, 39, of Wayne, the chef-owner of Campania, a restaurant in Fair Lawn, N.J., was pulled from the water about 3 p.m. Friday. The cause of death isunder investigation, but ‘no criminality’ is suspected, authorities said.

Police responded to a 911 call of a body floating in the river on Friday afternoon, not long after another caller reported seeing a man jump from the George Washington Bridge.”
Body found in Hudson is identified as reality-TV series chef Joseph Cerniglia - NY Daily News

The attached SS shows the location of the bridge and the approximate location where Mr. Cerniglia’s body was found.
AC386D99-ECEE-4D96-B5BA-1739AF44FE58.jpeg

I did not see the selfie-type pictures before I read the article, either. Oh, they look so sweet and pretty there.
Your prior post was very good -- I still wonder about many of the things you do. Maybe we here at WS just have suspicious minds -- but we have learned that what-you-see-isn't-always-what-you-get or something like that. Anyway, thanks for your good post. Hoping to get more facts from LE soon.
Thanks, Borndem (I was embarrassed by the grammatical errors but glad you liked it:)
Shrlock noted that the photo/selfy might not be Tala and Rotana. That makes me feel better as I would have been really concerned if it had been leaked in S.A. media for one narrative but not leaked in U.S. for the opposite narrative.

I think the drawings, the passport photos and the selfie photos are of three different sets of people. All three images seem to portray individuals with differing ethnicities. The passport photos look more pakistani/south asian. I thought the sketches were of two hispanic or black individuals. The selfie photo is inconclusive, those two might not even be sisters, and they look closer in age. But that's just my observation.
And who identified the bodies? We haven't been given any info if it had been via fingerprints. One outlet I recall mentioned the mother after seeing the sketches, but like I said, those drawings look nothing like the ladies in the passport photos.

I have to say I completely agree here with you..
The random selfie photo that one day appeared out of nowhere on a thread by some guy early on in the investigation.. (has there ever been a verified source?) They do Not look like the girls in the Passport photos at all..
The sketches yes they looked Latina (which I am) or maybe light skinned Black ..I give a little leeway because its a sketch and I never expect the sketches to look identical..But too match to the passport Girls.. hmmm..
But again the selfies and the passports don't match in my eyes and I am noticing that there are some articles using the selfie.. Has that been verified.. Oh this whole thing has just been odd. I don't know.. Did these girls even existo_O?

These are just my thoughts....

Attachments

• 2000[1].jpg
    2000[1].jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 62
  • d2df9145-f239-47fe-9a90-cc4a989fd1ae_16x9_320x180[1].jpg
    d2df9145-f239-47fe-9a90-cc4a989fd1ae_16x9_320x180[1].jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 58
Would there be a circumstance where the religious clerics would deny a burial to the sisters based on the allegations of suicide? It just seems improbable that not one of the press would have realized that the bodies had been claimed in NYC, sent via air to KSA and then what looks to be a massive funeral procession organized in a city that based on what we know to date has zero connection to the sisters and their family? Those bodies being carried by that crowd could be anyone. Baffling.
Makes me wonder if its even a fake funeral.. for the News just to appease and shut everyone in America and the world up... just make it all go away and it will soon be forgotten.. Something Just is not right.... those are my feelings.

Last edited:
I also think it's very strange that not a single U.S. friend, teacher, or acquaintance of the sisters has come forward at all, even to just say "She was my friend, and I miss her" or "She was such a kind person". No one has even come out publicly to support the mother. "She's my neighbor, and always smiled at me-- I'm so sad for what this family is going through", etc.

No. One. At. All.

And we still know nothing. at. all. about the father, his name, position, work, etc. He's a ghost.

Shaking my head. Sad for the girls. Wish their lives could have been saved.
Completely agree, K_Z. Everything in my gut tells me there’s something more to the story, and particularly on the family end.

<modsnip - sleuthing family>

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely agree, K_Z. Everything in my gut tells me there’s something more to the story, and particularly on the family end.

<modsnip - sleuthing family>.
<modsnip - sleuthing family> I am still trying to figure out if he was the one that claimed the bodies and returned them KSA or if the picture of the funeral that was posted was a sham? None of the western publications have picked up the story on the funeral or made mention of the bodies being claimed so I am not sure I believe the funeral pictures yet without confirmation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say I completely agree here with you..
The random selfie photo that one day appeared out of nowhere on a thread by some guy early on in the investigation.. (has there ever been a verified source?) They do Not look like the girls in the Passport photos at all..
The sketches yes they looked Latina (which I am) or maybe light skinned Black ..I give a little leeway because its a sketch and I never expect the sketches to look identical..But too match to the passport Girls.. hmmm..
But again the selfies and the passports don't match in my eyes and I am noticing that there are some articles using the selfie.. Has that been verified.. Oh this whole thing has just been odd. I don't know.. Did these girls even existo_O?

These are just my thoughts....
So far as I know the NYPD hasn't verified any of these photos so I am waiting for something more official that what we have seen the media which for the most part doesn't seem well researched.

There is no way the girls in the selfie picture are the same people as the passport picture. Which one is supposed to even be which? Both girls in the selfie picture have a more narrow nose than the passport girls.

There is no way the girls in the selfie picture are the same people as the passport picture. Which one is supposed to even be which? Both girls in the selfie picture have a more narrow nose than the passport girls.
Completely agree. Looks like we have 2-3 different sets of pictures. Where is the press and NYPD on this issue?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back